Budget???

Options
2»

Replies

• cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    stock up when you see sales!! whenever our local Safeway has the chicken legs/breast/thighs/tenderloins on sale (boneless ones) for 1.99 a pound, i stock up. someone mentioned coupons, it helps as well! and also ground turkey is a great alternative to the other meat. i usually buy a bunch when they are on sale for a good price. buy the romaine lettuce heads instead of the already shredded one. and plant your own tomatoes and herbs. helps a lot. I'm 22 and have a mini garden LOL
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I find doing my grocery shop online is a way to stick to a budget. If I am wandering around the shop I get tempted by all kinds of things and end up spending much more than I meant to.
  • mrspenton2009
    mrspenton2009 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    One word...Coupons!! I do find that most coupons are for unhealthy processed crap, but use them for things like soap, cleaning supplies etc. Then you can use your savings for healthy food. I've saved over $4,000 in 4 months for my family of 7.
    They aren't for everyone but that's what works for me :)

Great minds think alike!!! You would be amazed at how much money this will save you. Good luck!!
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I go to No Frills (which is the stripped down version of superstore, which is the cheaper of all our stores), they don't have uniforms, the shelfs are metal racks, and they only carry some of each item (for example there are 2 brands of corn not 16). The prices are WAY less expensive. Frozen veggies are great steamed and if they have been flash frozen (which most have) they have all the nutrients still.

I also look at flyers, we have 1 store that always offers $10.00 packs of meat and they always vary (chicken, beef, pork etc). If its a crappy tough cut of steak or pork you throw it in the crock pot instead of putting it on the grill, the other day I got 4 large new york strip steaks!

Coupons help a ton! YOu can find them on pretty much everything but fresh produce and meat (although you can find those sometimes) and you can save a ton by using those and then take that money to spend on healthy foods!
  • SeanMurphy
    Options
    I've never understood the whole "eating healthy costs more". Maybe that's the case for people who won't or don't cook, but I find that vegetables, chicken, brown rice, beans, the staples of my healthy meals, are all relatively cheap. Prepared foods and freezer items, even the unhealthy ones, are more expensive than cooking foods yourself.

A staple of my diet is chicken and vegetables. I take a single boneless skinless breast (about half a pound each, about $2 a breast), slice it into strips, and sear it in my nonstick pan until browned. Then I'll pour in about half a cup of water or chicken broth (about $1 for a liter of broth) and bring to boil then reduce to a high simmer. Then I'll toss in some vegetables ($1-2 a meal) cut into bite sized pieces or slices on top of the chicken in order of hardness, sprinkle with a small bit of salt, cover and let steam until done.

If there is a lot of liquid left in the bottom of the pan when nearing completion, take the cover off to let steam escape and the liquid to reduce to a tasty sauce. Toss the works around in the pan to pick up the little bit of liquid left.

This meal costs about $3, takes about 10 minutes to create and makes 1-3 plates worth, depending on how many vegetables you add and how hungry you are.

Best of all, a whole batch of it is usually around 300 calories, depending on the vegetables you use (I stick with carrots and broccoli usually, because its what I have in the fridge), so you can eat an entire batch for supper if you're hungry, and you won't bust the bank.

I'm a big guy (6'6", 280lb) with a muscular build, so being able to eat until I'm full and satisfied is a great thing to come home to after work.

I kind of wandered off point. Eating healthy is generally cheaper than eating prepackaged foods, especially ones claiming to be light or low fat, which generally just make up for one evil with another.
  • lexy83
    lexy83 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    clip coupons and visit websites of healthy things you like to eat sometimes they post printable coupons! Oh and shop around... I always check the store ads every week! :)
  • SeanMurphy
    Options
    someone mentioned rice...be careful with that one...depending on the rice 1/2 a cup can be almost 200 calories....we are on a limited budget, I have found that fish is cheaper than red meat...and chicken is pretty cheap too...ground turkey is awesome on a diet and tons cheaper than ground beef!...canned tuna is my lunch time friend...cheap and awesome for you...on a bed of lettuce it is satifying and tasty...i cut up a stalk of celery and put in it for crunch...and if you are tuna lover..try a tablspoon of sweet relish mixed into your salad with it...its yummy :0)

I guess it's different everywhere. Ground turkey and chicken are about 1.5x the price of lean ground beef locally, but even at $6/lb, it still doesn't make for an expensive meal, given that a pound feeds my whole family, if prepared with vegetables.
  • lexy83
    lexy83 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kristlynngirl
    kristlynngirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Coupons, coupons, coupons! Buying big bags of frozen chicken and just thawing what you need. Discount stores like Aldi's are great for things that don't need to be name brand or you don't have coupons for, I've also found their produce is usually a lot cheaper than chain grocery stores. When I do go to the chain stores, I buy the store brand on basic things if I can (soups, condiments, cheeses, deli meats, etc) unless I have coupons that make the brand name cheaper.
  • gfchica
    gfchica Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you can, cook a whole chicken instead of buying pieces. A whole chicken at my grocery store is just under $5 whereas the breasts are $11. I eat the legs and thighs for two meals then use the breast meat for lunches. Saves you money that way. Frozen vegetable, things on sale. I tend to make dinners that I can eat at least two nights in a row. My budget is about $14 a day. Also, cod is a very cheap fish and low in calories. Like someone mentioned, definitely plan your meals. If you make salads buying a head of lettuce is usually cheaper than getting the bagged stuff.
  • ohiomom0503
    ohiomom0503 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've found that watching what I eat, I'm no longer going to the cafeteria at work and spending $50+ per pay period, so I've been putting that extra $100 toward groceries.
    I do the bulk of my shopping at Aldi's. I get everything that I can there...cheaper than doing it all at Walmart.
    Some of my staples that I get at Aldi's are:
    Milk
    Eggs
    Aldi brand Cheerios
    Oats
    shredded cheese
    non fat yogurt
    canned mushrooms, diced tomatoes, stewed tomotoes etc.
    tuna
    whole grain pasta's
    frozen fruit-strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, mango, raspberries, mixed berries etc.
    lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes, fresh mushrooms, spinach
    ground turkey(not in stock right now due to recall)
    turkey sausage/kielbasa
    chicken breasts
    fresh fruits, if good
    pork chops

By the time I'm done there, the only things I really need is bread(I like to get light bread), cream of mushroom/chicken soups(aldi doesn't have the reduced fat) and a few other things...
    HTH