What are the main reason behind your failed diet attempts?

Replies

• elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Inattention on my part. When I stopped paying attention to my diet and forgot my goal, my diet failed.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    bump
  • h2HOcanaduh
    h2HOcanaduh Posts: 5 Member
    Thinking too black and white, all or nothing. This time I am forgiving myself, focusing on health and sustainability, and carrying on no matter what happens. Also running out of healthy food. Im trying to be more flexible now.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    For me...it was mainly because I didn't take the time to get to know myself well enough. I just jumped in and started counting calories, making what I thought were good choices in food and not asking myself what I wanted out of this change in diet. Everything was working fine and I lost over 75lbs. Everything was working until...it didn't.

This time around I have spent more time by taking a look at what I enjoy eating, what I wanted out of this experience and where I saw it fitting into my life down the road. I have taken time to look at my good habits and my bad habits. Kept some of them and then started working to change the others.

While weight loss is definitely important to me it is only just a part of changing myself. I don't want to just exercise in order to burn a few more calories. I want to eat and exercise in a way that will help me get to where I want to be. The big picture for me is getting to a point where I can enjoy life...do things that I have always wanted to do and finding a way to do all of this without being miserable. What I do now affects what I will be able to do in the future with however many years that I have left.

To sum it up...find a way that gives you what you want beyond losing weight. Find the motivation but mostly find the discipline to achieve what you want.

One of the best quotes I have read recently..."If you are tired of starting over...stop giving up.".
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    My failed attempts were mostly due to lack of knowledge. I never really understood calorie deficit until I joined mfp a few months ago.

I was also an emotional eater. I've finally got a handle on that.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I did not weigh often enough. Because of this I did not see the consequences. I did not weigh because I wanted to eat, I got the scales out this time!
  • benprime1986
    benprime1986 Posts: 1 Member
    At one time I dropped a alot of weight a couple of years ago. Went from 340 to 199. Around 20 pounds away from my goal weight. Well while physically I did everything right, I didn't prep myself mentally. So now I been hanging around 260 to 280. If I had to pick one thing tho that contributed to the weight and not losing weight would be alcohol. I gotta stay away from that if I'm have any success again, along with seeing a therapist and staying on my meds
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Focusing on physical goals only with ridiculous deadlines. For example: I want to be a certain weight in 4 weeks and then have abs by 6 weeks. :D LOL

I had Zero regard for how I was feeling. I'd be absolutely shattered going out and training at stupid o clock in the morning to chase a goal generated entirely out of vanity. This was often compounded by my stupidly aggressive deficit made out of chicken and tuna because PROTEIN BRO!!! :D . It was always only a matter of time before I give up and went back to eating like an unsupervised child.

Once I decided that I was going to stop being an *kitten* I focused on eating (mostly) meats, fruit, veg, nuts and seeds and my goals were performance based. I.e. Do 20 pullups unbroken; Do 100 burpees in under 7 mins; run a sub 6:30min mile. Just always trying to get fitter and more difficult to kill,hahaha.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    I could not commit to tracking my calories beyond a few weeks. I suppose maybe I did not want it badly enough until I ballooned to a weight I had never been and enough was enough.
  • memurph88
    memurph88 Posts: 102 Member
    edited September 2019
    I straight up was exhausted of having to pay attention to what I was eating every. *kitten*. day.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    This is my first attempt, and since I'm doing pretty good at it I wouldn't call it an attempt
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Yummy food.