Sodium help

Options
What is your go to for soy sauce?
I trird less sodium soy sauce and it was over 500 mg

Replies

• skinnytacular
    skinnytacular Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Oh! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who struggles with sodium. I'll get you the brand when I get home, but, honestly, I haven't found one that is a lot less than 500. The lowest one I've found is just under that. I water mine down a little or, sometimes, thin it with a good balsamic, which, obviously, doesn't add saltiness, but it does add umami and the dark coloring. Also, sometimes I toss in bonito flakes to add a little saltiness, depending on the dish.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Have you been told by your doctor that you need to limit sodium? If so, how much sodium are you allowed per day?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I use Kikkomans soy sauce, usually. I have no reason to be concerned about sodium intake though. If you do have medical reason to avoid or severely limit sodium then that’s different. If Low Sodium Soy Sauce is still too much for you then I don’t know what to suggest except to avoid recipes that require it!
  • skinnytacular
    skinnytacular Posts: 159 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Here it is: 490mg per TBSP. SAN J SAUCE SOY TAMARI LITE GF. https://www.amazon.com/SAN-SAUCE-TAMARI-LITE-10OZ/dp/B015H8MKI4/

This one is a little lower (470 per TBSP) but I've never tried it and it's not well-rated on this particular website. https://healthyheartmarket.com/products/china-town-soy-sauce-10-oz-1?_pos=1&_sid=acde9cb87&_ss=r

Beware any recommendations for Bragg's Aminos. That sodium count is per half tsp. Multiply that figure by 6 to get the comparable sodium content for a TBSP.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Low sodium is a very serious problem. NIH guidelines will eventually be changed. But, unless a person is dangerously retaining water or recovering from surgery, restricting sodium must be ordered by a doctor. Its your electrolyte.
  • MrsAmyMcKinley
    MrsAmyMcKinley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for the information on getting my sodium level down.
    I am trying to lower my sodium intake because I have just gone over my goal here at MFP.
    I made a mistake I mixed less sodium soy sauce, with Lawry's Teriyaki Sauce and Great Value steak sauce.
    I was trying to avoid the salt pack in the ramen noodles I was going to eat.
    Then after eating it I realized I had screwed up with the goal.
    I had eaten over 3,000 mg of sodium just for lunch.
  • MrsAmyMcKinley
    MrsAmyMcKinley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you Skinytacular I am so grateful that you gave me an idea of deciding instead of steak sauce I will cut it down by using balsamic vinegar. Thanks for the wonderful advice.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for the information on getting my sodium level down.
    I am trying to lower my sodium intake because I have just gone over my goal here at MFP.
    I made a mistake I mixed less sodium soy sauce, with Lawry's Teriyaki Sauce and Great Value steak sauce.
    I was trying to avoid the salt pack in the ramen noodles I was going to eat.
    Then after eating it I realized I had screwed up with the goal.
    I had eaten over 3,000 mg of sodium just for lunch.

3000 mg of sodium in one day isn't a big deal if it happens once in a while AND if you have no relevant medical issues. It may just cause the scale to go up a few pounds due to temporary water retention. If you are routinely eating high amounts of sodium, though, you may want to discuss it with your doctor and see whether it's cause for concern.