I eat so well until 5 and then all hell breaks loose

Options
I eat so well during the day, then 5 hits i get home and all hell breaks loose.
how do you stay on track!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't go home. I go to the gym. If I have unstructured time like that, I go off the rails too.

I get my workout in, make and eat dinner, prep my clothes and food for the next day and go to bed.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    Following because the same thing happens to me. It's mostly boredom tho. I've decided not to buy my comfort foods. So when I feel a binge coming on, I doubt I'd wanna binge on fruit or veggies.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Also could be boredom. I started walking at a park after work. Takes up about 3 hours of my time, and when I get home it's time to shower, cook dinner, eat and a little tv before bed. I used to eat away my evenings too, and distracting myself helped a lot.

i need to do this!
  • katermari
    Options
    Honestly, I don't go home. I go to the gym. If I have unstructured time like that, I go off the rails too.

I get my workout in, make and eat dinner, prep my clothes and food for the next day and go to bed.

i go to the gym in the morning, but maybe i need to switch to after work so i do not have this issue.
  • katermari
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    What do you consider "eating well"? It's quite possible you don't eat enough calorie in the beginning of the day and that makes you more prone to binging later on in the day. Maybe trying to eat a bit more earlier will help with this.

i probably am not eating enough at all
  • katermari
    Options
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    Following because the same thing happens to me. It's mostly boredom tho. I've decided not to buy my comfort foods. So when I feel a binge coming on, I doubt I'd wanna binge on fruit or veggies.

i will leave the house and buy the junk secretly
  • Cutemesoon
    Options
    katermari wrote: »

So maybe there is something in your life that is triggering it. Are you sad, depressed or stressed? Are you drinking enough water during the day? I ask because I notice I mistake hunger for thirst.
  • katermari
    Options

So maybe there is something in your life that is triggering it. Are you sad, depressed or stressed? Are you drinking enough water during the day? I ask because I notice I mistake hunger for thirst.

i went from drinking 5L to drinking nothing but tea.
    i am beyond stressed right now, but for once my depression and anxiety are okay.
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Only thing that helps me is to save calories for a snack and go to bed early.
  • sct1985
    sct1985 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do OMAD (one meal a day) so the damage I can do in one evening meal is pretty limited. Of course it IS possible to go into a calorie surplus with one meal, but if you don't keep actual junk food in your house it's pretty difficult. I only buy meat, fish, veggies, avocados etc.

You could consider OMAD, which if you stuck to an evening meal would give you more calories to play with; and if you had your one meal at lunch/late lunch would move all your eating window to a time you don't find so problematic.
  • Cutemesoon
    Options

i am beyond stressed right now, but for once my depression and anxiety are okay.

Maybe you should tackle your stress. It could be the cause of your binging. Where are you at 5pm? Work? At home on the couch? Trying to unwind from work? I've identified where I am when my binging happens and look for things to keep me busy so I won't go overboard.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I agree with people saying you should tackle your stress/depression/anxiety. Cognitive behavioral therapy has been immensely helpful for me, in both changing my habits and identifying why I made those coping-mechanism bad habits in the first place.

As far as solutions in-the-moment, how do you feel about Pre-logging all your meals when you wake up? When I create a plan for the day, including a moderate and delicious dessert to look forward to, I find it much easier to eat well.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I have a similar situation but with going out. During the workweek it's 12 hour workdays, then gym, errands, house chores, meal prep, dinner, shower, chill, bed...I have absolutely no problem there. But when Saturday rolls around- oh boy I wake up at 7am and knock all that stuff out by 11 and then usually find myself at some social event drinking beer and eating garbage til 2am.

It's pretty clear that it's unstructured time is the issue.
  • katermari
    Options

Maybe you should tackle your stress. It could be the cause of your binging. Where are you at 5pm? Work? At home on the couch? Trying to unwind from work? I've identified where I am when my binging happens and look for things to keep me busy so I won't go overboard.

i am hoping that when my move ends next week the stress goes along with it.
    i am in the middle of moving for the first time, in a new relationship and a new position at work.
    plus bordum
  • Cutemesoon
    Options
    I agree with people saying you should tackle your stress/depression/anxiety. Cognitive behavioral therapy has been immensely helpful for me, in both changing my habits and identifying why I made those coping-mechanism bad habits in the first place.

As far as solutions in-the-moment, how do you feel about Pre-logging all your meals when you wake up? When I create a plan for the day, including a moderate and delicious dessert to look forward to, I find it much easier to eat well.

Excellent idea! Pre-planning might help. After imputing meals for the day & seeing the allotted calorie count used up, that might be a deterrent for someone to binge eat. It's one of the reasons why I've had to go back to logging. :(
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

^This. If it works for you to exercise in the evening, I have found it keeps me on track. I go straight from work, whether or not I have a meeting to stay late. This way, I get 1-2 hours of exercise, then shower, go home, fix dinner and get ready for tomorrow. I am absolutely terrible with unstructured time at home.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    What do you consider "eating well"? It's quite possible you don't eat enough calorie in the beginning of the day and that makes you more prone to binging later on in the day. Maybe trying to eat a bit more earlier will help with this.

i probably am not eating enough at all

Well then this is a good place to start. Trying to eat too little can be counter productive, as for many people over restricting leads to binging. Focus on a reasonable calorie goal, make sure you are getting enough protein fat and fiber, eat back some of your exercise calories, and find ways to keep yourself busy in the PM. If there are specific foods you can't moderate, consider keeping them out of the house for a little while until you get your good habits in line.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I eat so well during the day, then 5 hits i get home and all hell breaks loose.
    how do you stay on track!

You have developed a pattern. Introduce a different behavior in that time frame to break the cycle.

Good luck!