Low Muscle Mass due to weight loss- What SUPPLEMENTS can I take to aid in my fitness routine?

Options
I have lost right at 40lbs. YAY ME. I have started walking for cardio. Trying to slowly build strength in my legs and such. I do have a few hand weights that I am now using to build a little arm muscle. My blood work is stellar! Almost everything is absolutely perfect except too low levels of creatinine & creatinine/BUN ratios in my blood stream. Research tells me that is losing muscle mass or liver issues. The doctor said that it isn't anything to worry about now but we could watch it.

So with that said.................other than continuing to walk and do light hand weights what else do you suggest. Is there a supplement that can help build my muscles as I work out? Other than joining a gym what else can I do to build muscle?

Replies

• QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    Thank you! Is there a supplement you suggest, such as brand or dosage?
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Protein (0.8 grams daily per lb of body weight I believe) and a good strength training program. You don't need a gym for building muscle. Look into Mark Lauren's "Body By You", your library will probably even have it. Three days a week, no equipment necessary.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Is there a supplement you suggest, such as brand or dosage?

Just search for "Creatine Monohydrate Powder Micronized" on Amazon. It's super cheap.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    No, you should not be taking any supplements.

In other words there are a number of factors that could be involved, or it could be nothing at all.

Taking a supplement like creatine would not be indicated to increase creatinine levels, even though it would likely do so. That is because low creatinine levels are symptom, not a cause. Taking creatine to raise creatinine levels would be like continuing to dump water in a leaking bucket without fixing the leak.

Again, in this case, I doubt there is anything to “fix”. If you have concerns about muscle loss from weight loss, then eat sufficient protein and lift weights. That’s what you should be doing anyway, both for weight loss and a generally healthy lifestyle.

Any doctor that has read studies on creatine and it's benefits will tell you there is no harm taking creatine and about a 66% chance it would benefit a normal healthy person such as the OP.

Part of the benefits of eating animal protein is in fact the creatine along with adequate EAAs to allow MPS to happen.

There is nothing to be concerned with creatine in almost everybody and benefits to gain for pennies. Every doctor I know that is well versed in the benefits of training and will tell you this.

• RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Muscles come from lifting heavier and heavier weights, plus enough protein and carbohydrate. Sounds like you could use a creatine supplement though.

That would work, or you could just include more red meat in your diet and get it without supplementation.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    No, you should not be taking any supplements. You should not overreact to a single blood test. Your doctor is giving you the correct advice. This could be a temporary anomaly that requires no intervention whatsoever.

It’s easy to “overread” medical articles. When they mention “low muscle mass”, it’s in the context of a serious disease such as muscular dystrophy. It can also be a sign of liver or kidney—which would also be extremely rare.

The blood levels could be explained by temporary dehydration.

In other words there are a number of factors that could be involved, or it could be nothing at all.

Taking a supplement like creatine would not be indicated to increase creatinine levels, even though it would likely do so. That is because low creatinine levels are symptom, not a cause. Taking creatine to raise creatinine levels would be like continuing to dump water in a leaking bucket without fixing the leak.

Again, in this case, I doubt there is anything to “fix”. If you have concerns about muscle loss from weight loss, then eat sufficient protein and lift weights. That’s what you should be doing anyway, both for weight loss and a generally healthy lifestyle.

As your doctor has told you, monitor the situation and take additional action if necessary, but only after you have more data.

Completely agree with this. Analysis takes multiple readings over time and in context. In text the OP stated only what they believe important, but there are countless other variables at play which were not stated.

What other supplements, vitamins, OTCs, prescription medications are you taking? What's your medical history?

To the OP - resistance training over time is what matters. Compound movements are currently the best means of doing so - take a look at the Stronglifts 5x5 or similar program. Keep detailed notes on your training and share these with your medical professional.

From what you've stated this is little more than a matter of increased progressive resistance training and time.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The doctor said that it isn't anything to worry about now but we could watch it.

Quoted for emphasis....

Both in this thread and your weight loss clinic thread you show a concern (if not outright anxiety!) about muscle loss - so join that gym and start training.

This. Walking and light hand weights aren't enough...they really aren't. If can't join a gym you need to at least work with bodyweight exercises, resistance bands, running, hiking etc.

The human body evolved to walk 40 miles a day and hunt sabertooth tigers. It's made for SO MUCH MORE than brisk walking and 5lb dumbbells.
  • QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The doctor said that it isn't anything to worry about now but we could watch it.

Quoted for emphasis....

Both in this thread and your weight loss clinic thread you show a concern (if not outright anxiety!) about muscle loss - so join that gym and start training.

I am not anxious. I am inquisitive. I assumed that was what community was for....for asking a question that you didn't know the answer to and getting responses or for simple discussion. I am ignorant when it comes to fitness. I have lost and gained the same 50lbs or so on and off for at least the last 15 years of my life. As of May 2019 I began to take my health a lot more seriously. So pardon me if I am asking a question that seems to be trivial to some. Its not to me. Nor is doing any more damage to this 44 year old body of mine. I have seen both my primary care doctor and a weight loss clinic. Both of which have different opinions and goals for me.

As far as one poster asked....
    I am over all healthy. The only markers that were low were those that I originally discussed. I only take one pill a day and that is HRP (hormone replacement therapy). I am over all healthy! However, according the weight loss clinics REV test I have a very slow metabolism. With dieting it is not getting better but worse.
    SO YES>....I don't want to do anymore harm or damage to myself than I have already done.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    No, you should not be taking any supplements.

Any doctor that has read studies on creatine and it's benefits will tell you there is no harm taking creatine and about a 66% chance it would benefit a normal healthy person such as the OP.

Part of the benefits of eating animal protein is in fact the creatine along with adequate EAAs to allow MPS to happen.

There is nothing to be concerned with creatine in almost everybody and benefits to gain for pennies. Every doctor I know that is well versed in the benefits of training and will tell you this.

The discussion is not whether creatine has any benefits. It’s about whether it is indicated for use in the OP’s case.

We don’t know the OP’s actual issues other than a single, not particularly sensitive lab reading. So there is no reason to blindly recommend she take creatine.

In any case, using creatine in this case is irrelevant since it would not address any possible medical issues related to her lab readings.
    We do know that according to OP her/his blood work is steller. If there was any red flags involving the use of creatine they would of been addressed after the blood test with more screening. Being low on creatine and creatinine isn't a reason to not take creatine. High levels could be. Lets not nocebo here.

There is no reason to blindly not recommend creatine in this case. None.

I wasn't addressing her persumedly low level of creatine. It "should" be taken for it's benefits since there is extremely low risk and a yield worth the investment. There is overwhelming amounts of established evidence of it's benefits to those who respond.

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Azdak - slow metabolism... wouldn't that usually (not always) mean low thyroid? and that would be something the doctor would treat as well as informing the patient, no?

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Muscles come from lifting heavier and heavier weights, plus enough protein and carbohydrate. Sounds like you could use a creatine supplement though.

That would work, or you could just include more red meat in your diet and get it without supplementation.

I'm a vegetation.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    OP could you try some resistance training and see if you like it? I was anti lifting for years cos the wright room seemed intimidating. If you are interested there’s info about beginners programmes in the gaining and bodybuilding part of this site. Some of the programmes are dumb bells if you don’t want to use a barbell. Take a look at least.
  • QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    Thanks for all of your suggestions and information.

I accept all advice. I don't mind reading any ones suggestions to me regarding the question I asked.

I obviously know the rule of "eat less, move more". Which is exactly what I am doing! Going from an 8-5 job sitting on my butt all day then going home and watching tv until I get up to go to bed to walking 3-5 miles almost daily, riding my bike, doing a few arms reps and such is a heck of a lot of change for just 4 months.

My biggest fear was I am not doing something correctly or doing more harm than good.