Did you lose weight after having the Mirena taken out?

Replies

• snyegurochka
    snyegurochka Posts: 1 Member
    Hi ladies,

Reading this thread was great and enlightening.

I had my Mirena fitted on Dec 2017, at 57 kg. I lift weights 3 times a week and hike regularly, as well as tracking, weighting and measuring all my food out of habit. I also weight myself all mornings at 7 am, because I love data and compile all of that in a excel doc. I know! I'm a data freak.

After the first month, I began with the symptoms and they escalated. Cystic acne and super sore breasts. I also gained 5 kg, a lot on my frame. With all the data I had compiled in 4 months I went to my Gyn and told him all evidence indicated that since I had my Mirena, my weight and BF % went up, as well as gaining two whole cups on my breast and having to replace all my training tops and bras. I also had ZERO libido at all, after being high libido. Another symptom, the one that made me realize I was in really bad shape was a depression feeling, like this impending doom sensation, that I could never be happy again. My BF also noticed the symptoms and he told me I wasn't the same person, and I took it to heart because we have been 13 years together, so this guy knows me pretty well.

My Gyn was reluctant about taking it out and told me it was all in my head and that of course, gaining 5 kg was because I overate. I was like, "*kitten* please, I have all this data with me and you'll take this *kitten* out or I will".

So basically he did and I felt better within a week, depression wise. The first month I lost 2 kg, doing the same I did before. But its been 3 months and I still have 3 extra kg with me. No matter how much I restrict my food intake or up my workouts, I'm still unable to lose those 3 kg and I know is not too much but still is *kitten*. A lot of Mirena users talk about how the body takes 6-12 months to re adjust and hopefully I will in that timeframe. If not, I have already booked an appointment with my endocrinologist because this is a *kitten* that nobody tells you.

One or two posters have put something like "I'm debunking you all because I got no symptoms and Mirena is the best" and thats great for them, but all bodies are different so you're not debunking *kitten*.
  • annemarie9221
    annemarie9221 Posts: 3 Member
    I have posted this on another thread but I think my story might be helpful. I have had 3 consecutive Mirenas, about 12 years straight. I had absolutely no issues I identified with having it until this last couple of years. I have definitely put on weight in that time and I don't know if it's connected or not. The first 2 I had I remained very skinny and fit. This last one has coincided with back pain, joint pain, unprecedented weight gain, very sore and swollen breasts (when I was younger I would have paid good money for the swollen part), and significant abdominal cramping (identified in hospital as kidney stones except there were no stones). I cannot unequivocally say it's because of the IUD but I have just had it removed so we'll see if anything changes. I wonder if my body reacts different because I am older (46 years old), or I have used it for so long, or maybe my issues are related to something else entirely. I have had full bloods and I according to those results I am super healthy. I will post again with anything new to report.
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    edited October 2018
    Wow. Interesting read.

I had mine put in 4 months ago. I bled for 6 weeks from insertion and now I’m bleeding approx 18 days then 12 off. I’ve also noticed my sugar cravings being uncontrollable these last few months but hadn’t thought about my Mirena until I read this today. I’ve checked my app, and I’m eating more before my period starts and I know I’ve not been in as much control. I looked back over my food diary and it clearly shows issues starting when the Mirena went in. How did I not notice that! The months before the Mirena had no spikes and I was in control of cravings.

I’ll be getting it taken out. The bleeding was one issue I was going to see my doctor about but I can really see my eating habits changing from 4 months ago in line with my cycles. So different from before and although I have lost 20lbs in those 4 months, my cravings and the lack of being able to control them is now very clear.
  • Sorry, I just ran across this thread on google and I'm SHOOK. This Steph girl was straight replying to everything for YEARS and just stumbling across this, I feel so compelled to chime in. This is the craziest thing I've seen lately on the internet. She really seems like she has personal stock in Mirena or some pharmaceutical company. She doesn't even think studies have any limitations? That clinical trials can be flawed? Peer-reviewed articles and scientific proof has been defied over time with other drugs in the past. I've just been reading through and I think that's so wild that anyone would care that much. It was an entertaining read, but really weird. Obviously, if someone is on a forum they (the majority) would want to share anecdotes more than scholarly articles. We can all access PubMed if we so choose. The reason someone would rather read this thread than PubMed or any scientific resource is probably because the studies are not reflecting them specifically. That does not mean their problems are non-existent The replies that were made to people were completely condescending as well. It is one thing to be like "well here's some articles" but to vehemently swarm like a buzzard over every comment is weird?? A lot of the people involved didn't ask for clinical trials or scholarly articles. Not everyone's experience will be reflected in a study, as sample sizes are not the 7 billion people on earth. We would be remiss not to rejoice in the studies of the past that have been funded by companies and have turned out to be utter lies. I love science and I'm passionate about the scientific method, but laws are only made in science after several repetitions of an experiment and are rarely created or known. Anyone who is a logical, rational, person knows this. Yes, a doctor should never consult his patients using anecdotes, but that is also due to the risk involved in doing so -- not that personal experience is ALWAYS invalid. The problem with CICO is that finding your "calories out" can be nearly impossible and science is beginning to regard this model as too simplistic. If that were the one factor in everyone's weight loss, I'm sure the obesity epidemic would be solved. Did you consider how calorie intake actually is not reflected by the numbers we estimate for certain foods? Studies on microbiota and hormones are helping us understand this. Something may be 150 calories, but you actually extract 120! This information is new, and I believe this could lead us to seeing that calories are more than just calories (in a study rats that ate raw sweet potatoes received less energy than those that ate cooked potatoes for instance). I know this is only tangentially related, but I truly believe we will find that energy extraction is not as simple as the labeled calories. It's so dynamic! And it's exciting! The fact that this is not considered or mentioned in the answers alarms me. My point is that we are still beginning to understand obesity, nutrition and the human body. Science doesn't even have it all figured out, so I don't understand how @sezxystef would have all the answers. This is preposterous, but I hope you've grown since this. The Mirena may be causing problems for people that science cannot explain or understand. If anyone is on this thread in recent days, don't let some wanna-be scientist tell you you're crazy. I do not have Mirena, so I'm unsure, but I AM SURE that you're not just crazy especially if SO MANY WOMEN are congregating and reporting similar things. That would be some odd case of mass hysteria, which is more unlikely. Good laugh, though a bit concerning.
  • det_lady_freckle_bryan
    det_lady_freckle_bryan Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2019
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I really just have to shake my head at this...I can't imagine using an expired drug...wow ladies you are really taking chances with your health aren't you to what avoid weight gain that is due to increased eating.

Funny how people wouldn't dream of eating a food after it's best before date but think nothing of using expire drugs...might as well start ignoring expiration dates on other things too.

you really just want to seem smarter than everyone... new research has shown it works up to 7 years???? like you're so mean??? it's just that they DIDNT KNOW it could last that long. Like other things companies may NOT KNOW when a drug is newer and all the information is not out there yet. You're just so so rude? I can't. I guess that's why you have like 15,000 things, you have no life outside of one-upping women on the internet and trying to find ways to make them feel idiotic/small. Even back then, doctors never have given a caveat citing it would be harmful to leave it in since these continued use studies date back to the 90s. Idk if you're on MFP anymore, I'm not going to read your replies since I have other things to do... but how sickening...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I really just have to shake my head at this...I can't imagine using an expired drug...wow ladies you are really taking chances with your health aren't you to what avoid weight gain that is due to increased eating.

Funny how people wouldn't dream of eating a food after it's best before date but think nothing of using expire drugs...might as well start ignoring expiration dates on other things too.

you really just want to seem smarter than everyone... new research has shown it works up to 7 years???? like you're so mean??? it's just that they DIDNT KNOW it could last that long. Like other things companies may NOT KNOW when a drug is newer and all the information is not out there yet. You're just so so rude? I can't. I guess that's why you have like 15,000 things, you have no life outside of one-upping women on the internet and trying to find ways to make them feel idiotic/small. Even back then, doctors never have given a caveat citing it would be harmful to leave it in since these continued use studies date back to the 90s. Idk if you're on MFP anymore, I'm not going to read your replies since I have other things to do... but how sickening...

No friends, only these two posts..and it seems all targeting me.

How interesting....and how odd and entertaining that you, since 2014 have kept off the forums and only posted these 2 things.

It actually appears you don't have anything better to do....I fully expect a response because if you took this much time and effort for the former...then ...

As for why I replied because we need to take control of our own bodies and our own medications and not blame others for our folly...and if you read all my posts I did say that some weight gain is expected but you cannot blame excess weight gain on a medication, but to take into account the side effect of "increased appetite".

esp for a "woman" who has never had a mirena and links no studies to prove yourself...

anyway ...I am not going to go further with this as it is silly as it is clear as to what this really is....*insert grin here*

ps the manufacturer still says have it removed after 5 years...
    pps you sound like someone I know...interesting.
  • SezxyStef
    ps zombie thread
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited January 2019
    Purely anecdotal, but I can't stand my Mirena. I have used non-normonal IUD's throughout my entire adult life as hormonal birth controls make me batshit crazy--why I switched from the pill to an IUD in the first place. It seems non-hormonal IUD's have fallen out of favour since I got my last one though so I had a very difficult time procuring one when it came time to renew. My doctor convinced me try Mirena instead and I HATE IT.

I was promised less cramping, less spotting, eventual cessation of menstrual flow, no bloating, no weight gain, no mood effects. SO NOT TRUE! I cramp more than ever, often unrelated to my TOM, I spot about 60% to even 75% of any given cycle (yes, I spot for up to 3 out of 4 weeks!), I am constantly bloated, I have put on a few pounds I just can't seem to shed despite no other changes in my regimen, I am batshit crazy again and my sex drive is way down, and I still get a period even with all the spotting--I'm not even sure where all this menses is coming from for god's sake. My doctor had me wait at least a year because "the symptoms will go away after your body adjusts to it" but that simply has not occurred.

I'm getting it yanked and looking into other forms of non-hormonal birth control, maybe a diapraghm. I'm 44 and wish my nethers would just dry up and become non-functional already so I could stop worrying about all this >.<
  • SezxyStef
    Purely anecdotal, but I can't stand my Mirena. I have used non-normonal IUD's throughout my entire adult life as hormonal birth controls make me batshit crazy--why I switched from the pill to an IUD in the first place. It seems non-hormonal IUD's have fallen out of favour since I got my last one though so I had a very difficult time procuring one when it came time to renew. My doctor convinced me try Mirena instead and I HATE IT.

I was promised less cramping, less spotting, eventual cessation of menstrual flow, no bloating, no weight gain, no mood effects. SO NOT TRUE! I cramp more than ever, often unrelated to my TOM, I spot about 60% to even 75% of any given cycle (yes, I spot for up to 3 out of 4 weeks!), I am constantly bloated, I have put on a few pounds I just can't seem to shed despite no other changes in my regimen, I am batshit crazy again and my sex drive is way down, and I still get a period even with all the spotting--I'm not even sure where all this menses is coming from for god's sake. My doctor had me wait at least a year because "the symptoms will go away after your body adjusts to it" but that simply has not occurred.

I'm getting it yanked and looking into other forms of non-hormonal birth control, maybe a diapraghm. I'm 44 and wish my nethers would just dry up and become non-functional already so I could stop worrying about all this >.<

just as a note...but I wished the same thing and spoke to my doctor.

I got setup with a tubal and an ablation.

I still have TOM but no cramps and no bleeding per say.

Still plenty hormonal but eh.
  • magpye76
    magpye76 Posts: 51 Member
    I have a mirena coil and i find it suits me very well. I have, however, had absolute nightmares with other forms of contraception, specifically the implant ( can't remember the name offhand, Nor-something ) I was so angry and depressed all the time, didn't notice any weight gain but I had that bad boy whipped out pretty quick once I'd realised what was happening! I also had problems with 2 different contraceptive pills. See your doctor and try something else. There's plenty of options, no need to suffer!
  • shavon73
    shavon73 Posts: 1 Member
    I am on my second Mirena. I had absolutely no issues with my first one, I gained a few pounds a couple years here and there but I also lost a couple pounds in there. I had no hesitation in getting the second one, the plan was I was 43 and when it was ready to come out I would be in or close to menopause and likely wouldn't need birth control. I'm 45 now and last year I started gaining weight uncontrollably like I couldn't lose it. I would eat only small amounts of food sweat buckets fill myself with water and still only lose a pound or two. Its been depressing and heartbreaking thinking something was wrong with my body and no one knew what I'm healthy I eat pretty well so there was no concern its age related or be more active and consistent and it will happen, but nothing. In one week alone I hit 20,000 steps 4 days a week shoveled my walks scraped paint off my walls and skimmed them, rearranged a full room, sanded the skimmed walls shoveled some more walks, then dug out a drive way with 20 inches of snow and I gained 4 pounds that week. That is not possible at that point I gave up until I sat down got on face book and saw a doctor talking about how he was introducing a weight loss plan to his patients I was hesitant because I didn't want to take phentermine and I knew that is one prescription they use however none of the over the counter stuff was working either. I made an appointment went in and accepted the defeat of getting and filling the prescription, I actually walked in with my head hung and embarrassed that I had to resort to prescription medication. The great thing is the medication is working in the 7 weeks I've been on it I have dropped 15 pounds even better was I found some facebook support groups and through the conversations there I have discovered the probably likely isn't me its likely the birth control I chose. I am going to spend a little time researching my options for birth control and then make an appointment with the doctor to have it removed and request the switch to something better suited to me that will not cause a 30+ weight gain in just a few months. I am very glad to see this thread and others had the same experience on the second mirena with no issues on the first.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I know I had shared on this thread before but since it’s active again felt like updating. I’ve still had zero negative side effects on my third Mirena. I got Mirena to treat endometriosis in my 20s and I’m almost 40 now.

I hit maintenance this week and Mirena in no way affected my ability to do so. I also have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and am in early peri menopause. While my CO may be a little lower than some with similar stats due to my personal health issues it still came down to CICO to get here.

My doctor will be removing my Mirena this year because I’m peri menopausal now but having it has been a positive experience for me overall
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I had one for 5 years with no problems and no periods, and loved it. Getting it taken out was such a nightmare I went back on the pill afterwards.

Same! I found out the hard way I have a tilted uterus. It took several tries for my GP to get it out and was pretty unpleasant.
  • nrudge1985
    nrudge1985 Posts: 1 Member
    I gotta say, this has been a very entertaining read.
  • ro175
    ro175 Posts: 37 Member
    I had problems with my Mirena, it moved for one. I did lose weight after I had it taken out, but I'm not sure if it was in any way related.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    I got mine taken out not long after my original comment on this thread. I haven’t lost weight but I’m not constantly bloated so I look and feel better anyway. I’m also less bonkers, my sex drive has returned, I not all crampy and I don’t have almost constant spotting. I’m glad I had it removed. I did learn that diaphragms are no longer a thing so we’re getting by with condoms; not much fun after so many years of not using them but better than babies for sure.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Going to go back and read it all of this thread but my gyno put mine in since I had pre cancerous cells. Apparently it got rid of them. I hope she is right. I'm in menopause. Anyone know anything about this? Mine has not cause weight gain but had a bit of spotting.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    I love my Mirena and it probably literally saved my life because I was suffering from really, really bad Menorrhagia for a few months and became extremely anaemic. It also affected quality of life in a big way because I basically had a continual period, had to wear dark clothing all the time, sleep on towels and was scared to go places that might not have good toilet facilities. Plus I was burning through sanitary products like there was no tomorrow. The mirena put a stop to the bleeding - in fact, my period has pretty much vanished altogether. I've actually lost all my weight (32kg) while having the Mirena in so it's definitely not impaired weight loss in any way.

I'm lucky though - I have friends who can't have Mirena because it affects their mood/mental health quite badly ...