Cinema snacks advice please

Options
Hi all, just started a diet a couple of days ago. Doing intermittent fasting and trying to stay within 1400 calories. Going to cinema today and normally I snack big time. I am Def not going to bring pepper sticks and humous while my husband munches on popcorn and malteezers lol. What would yous recommend for decent treats that won't exceed 400 calories...I had late breakfast so won't be esting lunch. I know not the healthiest of choices but I don't want to be miserable either lol. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I don’t know where you live so I don’t know if this works where you are but I would think a small box of plain (or salted) popcorn isn’t an unreasonable choice. Does your cinema pour butter on it or something which makes it not possible?
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Not sure if your mention of maltesers means you're in the UK but I buy bags of Flying Saucers from Asda for something sweet, Metcalfes skinny popcorn is good too.
  • clairebear_55
    clairebear_55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don’t know where you live so I don’t know if this works where you are but I would think a small box of plain (or salted) popcorn isn’t an unreasonable choice. Does your cinema pour butter on it or something which makes it not possible?

You can get salted in its own instead of sweet. I've never tried it to be honest bit suppose it would be an option! Thanks
  • clairebear_55
    Options
    I like to supplement my cinema-snack-experience with low cal stuff that will last a bit of time. I get freeze-dried strawberries, one of those sugar-free bubbly grapefruit drinks. Then I bring something sweet or salty from home. I’ve done pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate, or fun size candy bars.

I'm with you on the needing it to last long, your list sounds good thanks!
  • clairebear_55
    Options
    Thanks Jackie, don't know why I can't reply to posts under them? Yes I am in UK. I will check out flying saucers! Are they the ones filled with sherbit?
  • clairebear_55
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    sneak in your own air popped popcorn... movie theatre popcorn is popped in oil and is quite high in fat/calories.
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    Not sure if your mention of maltesers means you're in the UK but I buy bags of Flying Saucers from Asda for something sweet, Metcalfes skinny popcorn is good too.

Oops replied Beneath , yes UK here's. Will look out for metcalfes, thanks
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    All of the concessions at the movie theaters are ridiculously overpriced, but I always get popcorn. I save calories for popcorn. We saw “It” opening weekend. My pop cost more than my daughters beer. What’s up with that?
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to the movies since I started but buttered popcorn is still a must. I would plan for it and do extra exercise or bank some calories for a few days to have it. GOTTA HAVE IT! haha and twizzlers!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,003 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    All of the concessions at the movie theaters are ridiculously overpriced, but I always get popcorn. I save calories for popcorn. We saw “It” opening weekend. My pop cost more than my daughters beer. What’s up with that?

crazy eh!? last time I was at the movies , a large butter popcorn, small twizzler and med drink cost $16.00 ! reason I watch movies at home
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bring pork rinds with you. Keto4lyfe
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Both under 85 cals per bag :)

7napkbiyauzx.jpeg
    nftu1fatajwl.png
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I GOTTA HAVE IT!

Me too!
    I don’t go often, but some movies I just can’t wait to see!!

yayamom3 wrote: »
    I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but just wanted to throw it out there. We have been conditioned to believe that we need to snack when we go to the movies. I decided to retrain my brain. I don't eat at home when I'm watching TV/movies, why do I think I need to do it at the movie theater? I just retrained my brain. I stick a bottled water in my bag in case I get thirsty, which I rarely do. And that's it.

If you're wanting to snack, there are great suggestions above. But I just thought you or someone else might be helped by my strategy.

Ever since I was a child, when Dad & Mom, loaded us up in the station wagon to go to the drive in, I’ve had popcorn. It’s a tradition. In those days, we popped popcorn at home and brought it to the drive in. We never got treats at the drive in movies.
  • sugarismyweakness
    Options
    Bring pork rinds with you. Keto4lyfe

I eat so many of these on a daily basis! My swap for crisps. I'm sure there will be a point within the keto lifestyle that this stops being good for you!
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Bring your own snacks in. Pre-log your entire day's worth of meals in your food diary and see what snacks you can "afford" calorie wise.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Considering i don't go often, i go ahead and save calories for the popcorn and a diet soda.

I don't have to have it. when i was a child, we never did, but since it's so rare i go, i figure why not
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    See if they have the kids pack- a small unbuttered popcorn (actually smaller than the small), a mini pack of gummy candies, and get a diet soda.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I prelog and budget. Popcorn is a must for movies, so I just make sure I have enough calories to spend.