Low Muscle Mass due to weight loss- What SUPPLEMENTS can I take to aid in my fitness routine?

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The doctor said that it isn't anything to worry about now but we could watch it.

Quoted for emphasis....

Both in this thread and your weight loss clinic thread you show a concern (if not outright anxiety!) about muscle loss - so join that gym and start training.

I am not anxious. I am inquisitive. I assumed that was what community was for....for asking a question that you didn't know the answer to and getting responses or for simple discussion. I am ignorant when it comes to fitness. I have lost and gained the same 50lbs or so on and off for at least the last 15 years of my life. As of May 2019 I began to take my health a lot more seriously. So pardon me if I am asking a question that seems to be trivial to some. Its not to me. Nor is doing any more damage to this 44 year old body of mine. I have seen both my primary care doctor and a weight loss clinic. Both of which have different opinions and goals for me.

As far as one poster asked....
    I am over all healthy. The only markers that were low were those that I originally discussed. I only take one pill a day and that is HRP (hormone replacement therapy). I am over all healthy! However, according the weight loss clinics REV test I have a very slow metabolism. With dieting it is not getting better but worse.
    SO YES>....I don't want to do anymore harm or damage to myself than I have already done.

REV as in low testosterone?

Is this a medical clinic or a commercial clinic?
  • QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    https://korr.com/metabolic-test-equipment/
    Sorry...I typed REV. It's actually ReeVue. This is the test the medical clinic gives to determine metabolism speeds.
    @CSARdiver
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    https://korr.com/metabolic-test-equipment/
    Sorry...I typed REV. It's actually ReeVue. This is the test the medical clinic gives to determine metabolism speeds.
    @CSARdiver

Thanks! Note that these devices carry a high degree of inaccuracy and largely guided by the latest calibration date and the skill of the technician.

How low is low? Would you reveal the data and were multiple readings taken over time?

• QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    I wish I had my paperwork to show you. They do a sliding scale. The first time tested was May 1. My reading was -27% on the scale.
    The scale starts at 0 being normal. 1+ would go up to the point of higher or highest level of metabolism. Then of course it goes to the negative -1 and below would be showing as the lower metabolism.

Like I said the first time taken mine was -27%
    Second time was the last week of June it had improved to -10%
    Then taken last week it was again lower amount hovering to the -27% again.

I am going to see if I can find my copies of the paperwork. Just so you can see what I am talking about.
    The clinic then bases your caloric needs based on your metabolism results.
  • QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    o3k3i0qrya6h.jpg
    This is not a great copy but its all I have. @CSARdiver
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I wish I had my paperwork to show you. They do a sliding scale. The first time tested was May 1. My reading was -27% on the scale.
    The scale starts at 0 being normal. 1+ would go up to the point of higher or highest level of metabolism. Then of course it goes to the negative -1 and below would be showing as the lower metabolism.

Like I said the first time taken mine was -27%
    Second time was the last week of June it had improved to -10%
    Then taken last week it was again lower amount hovering to the -27% again.

I am going to see if I can find my copies of the paperwork. Just so you can see what I am talking about.
    The clinic then bases your caloric needs based on your metabolism results.

Have you been losing weight prior to taking this measurement?
    Weight loss is going to cause adaptive thermogenesis which is going to lower the RMR / BMR until one has been at maintenance for at least a week or two.
  • QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    @magnusthenerd No I started with them on May 1. So I wasn't losing prior to this. The pic above our discussion is the testing sheet. For weight loss they had me eating 550-650 calories of protein only in the first week. Then the second week I could add 2 cups of veggies or 1 cup veggie and 1 fruit. Plus a few misc. items. Also two (thumbprint size) fats a day. Once I went up to -10% they upped my protein calories to 600-700 calories of protein along with the two cups veggies and small amount of fat.
  • QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    @magnusthenerd Thank you! I am happy to report that as of today I am 235.8. So I am still plugging along and doing what I am supposed to do. I do stay between 1350-1400 calories a day now. However, I don't use their method for protein being my main source of fuel. I try to make sure I have enough protein. My body composition has changed quite a bit in the four months. So for that I am excited. I just don't want to screw it all up by not doing what I am supposed to be doing.
  • magnusthenerd
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Much appreciated - I'm thinking along the same lines as @magnusthenerd. The estimation is correct, but this would lead me to do another two tests to ensure accuracy. This could be explained by a short fasting period. Does that jive with anything in the days/weeks beforehand?

Basically I don't want you to be overly concerned with this measurement. I have a state of the art GE model in my lab which still carries a 24% degree of error and this is completely contained. I'm curious what the readings are over time. You can expect a slight lowering in the months following weight loss, but this will trend back to normal over time.

@CSARdiver take a look at what they're using for a predicted REE - that's far more the issue than their measurement of her metabolic rate. The predicted REE isn't a statistic, it is just the Harris-Benedict equation being applied way out of context. In no way are these numbers a way to tell if her metabolic rate is below "average" in a statistical sense.
  • QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    Thank you @CSARdiver.
    All the testing with the metabolic test require fasting before you take the test. But only like it would be for blood work. Overnight or at least nothing for four hours prior to testing.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Much appreciated - I'm thinking along the same lines as @magnusthenerd. The estimation is correct, but this would lead me to do another two tests to ensure accuracy. This could be explained by a short fasting period. Does that jive with anything in the days/weeks beforehand?

Basically I don't want you to be overly concerned with this measurement. I have a state of the art GE model in my lab which still carries a 24% degree of error and this is completely contained. I'm curious what the readings are over time. You can expect a slight lowering in the months following weight loss, but this will trend back to normal over time.

@CSARdiver take a look at what they're using for a predicted REE - that's far more the issue than their measurement of her metabolic rate. The predicted REE isn't a statistic, it is just the Harris-Benedict equation being applied way out of context. In no way are these numbers a way to tell if her metabolic rate is below "average" in a statistical sense.

Yup, that's why I rebuke much of the data in metabolic testing - it's taken way out of context.

If you're metabolism is truly 27% decreased - by George you'll know it as you'd be hospitalized.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    @magnusthenerd Thank you! I am happy to report that as of today I am 235.8. So I am still plugging along and doing what I am supposed to do. I do stay between 1350-1400 calories a day now. However, I don't use their method for protein being my main source of fuel. I try to make sure I have enough protein. My body composition has changed quite a bit in the four months. So for that I am excited. I just don't want to screw it all up by not doing what I am supposed to be doing.

This is what matters. Just be better today than you were yesterday. Do this over weeks, months, years, and you'll find those small seemingly meaningless changes hold dramatic impact over time. The human body is unbelievably resilient.

Keep asking questions and stay active within a community here. I encourage everyone to check out the data within the National Weight Control Registry: http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm

The pryamid graphics @magnusthenerd posted upthread are gold - all your focus at this point should be at those items at the base of the pyramid. For weight loss it boils down to keeping a caloric deficit. You can worry about the minor influences much later.
  • QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    @CSARdiver and @magnusthenerd I really do appreciate your help! Its been very informative and gives me hope.
  • magnusthenerd
    Options
    One could take a different formula and you'd have a "high metabolism".
    Klatch-McArdle with an assumption that you have just slightly more lean mass than average (105 lbs for a 5'7" woman, particularly a 43 year old would be higher than the average for 5'7" women) for your height as woman would give a result that your BMR should be 1401 calories / day while the device says you have 1440.