Handstand Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i've found both

i worked on handstands saturday. not very good. but i did it ;)
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It’s harder than I expected it to be but it’s still fun and I’ll try and progress and over time hopefully I can do them
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Did 5 sets of 5 kick ups and I definitely caught some air and balance for a few seconds. Just gotta keep putting those reps in...
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Just revisiting the challenge. I am on day 266 of my 365 days of handstands challenge. Nothing amazing to report achievement-wise on my handstands except that i have being doing them daily and slowly slowly improving.

I went to Singapore on the weekend to watch the Formula 1 Grand Prix and managed to squeeze in a handstand class while i was there which was interesting to get a different teaching experience. Everyone was working on stalder presses while beginner me was just mucking around with kick ups and tuck holds still. One day I will be able to do those but realistically that is a 2020/2021 goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1XQqZzxqww

I love handstand so much but it is definitely a practice that demands self discipline and persistent to master it.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Heck, I don't even have the flexibility and hip flexor strength to get in the starting position. LOL
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    OMG! I have zero 'pancake flexibility'!!! :sweat_smile:

Assuming you mean every day this year I'm also on day 266! :mrgreen:
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    Great work @Tallawah_
    Heck, I don't even have the flexibility and hip flexor strength to get in the starting position. LOL

I can get into the starting position - if I am on parallettes. The ground not so much. But that is only because we do lots of mobility work on this in class. Though i am a long way off even with a lot of training.

My spotting partner dropped me in handstand class tonight and I landed badly on my shoulder - hopefully it isn't damaged just sore :(

• TiisTitanium
    Options
    gf37l4by9n90.jpeg
    Just before the accident
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    After eyeing this group for soooo long, I'm finally joining in! I will check the video recommendations from the first post after work :D
    It's about time I start practicing more, I always do one attempt against the wall after my workout when I have no time left and am very tired, get discouraged and leave. When does everybody practice? Is it at a different time than your workout, before, after..and do you warm up at all, only your wrists...? So many questions!
  • mom23mangos
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Tallawah_ wrote: »
    OMG! I have zero 'pancake flexibility'!!! :sweat_smile:

Assuming you mean every day this year I'm also on day 266! :mrgreen:

@Tallawah_ - Ummm...can I just say DANG on your new profile pic! :blush:

@TiisTitanium - I hope your shoulder is not injured. That sucks. Your form looked great right before.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    xelsoo wrote: »
    After eyeing this group for soooo long, I'm finally joining in! I will check the video recommendations from the first post after work :D
    It's about time I start practicing more, I always do one attempt against the wall after my workout when I have no time left and am very tired, get discouraged and leave. When does everybody practice? Is it at a different time than your workout, before, after..and do you warm up at all, only your wrists...? So many questions!

Yay! I practice between sets of lower body. So I’ll deadlift, then handstand during my test period. Then do another deadlift set, etc. I do try to stretch out my upper back and arms before practicing. I’ll also kick up randomly at home on commercials or if waiting for dinner to cook, etc. just a few minutes at a time.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    xelsoo wrote: »

On training days, typically in the evening I also do them in between sets. On other days could be anytime. I never do more than 5 mins worth, usually less! I did warm up my wrists when I started but don't feel the need now. The key thing is to commit to every day. There will be days when you don't feel like it, acknowledge that in advance and force yourself to do one! Typically, I found I then felt like doing more. There will days when they just don't stick...don't worry about them and just go again the next day. Good luck! :smile:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted a video in a while. Mostly because it felt like I was starting from scratch after my hand surgery, but I think it's finally coming back. Not holding for long though.

https://youtu.be/-mdq3c6NNEg

Bravo!
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    I’m still here. Still practicing. Not getting anywhere fast. I’ve been working on my lines which means my hold times suffer. But still plugging away.

https://youtu.be/F_8t1s5KSyE
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @mom23mangos thank you for the reminder!!! I also need to be practicing my splits... oops

edit: you are doing so great!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm still practicing. working on staying stacked/balanced and engaging my core.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    wfktuq7cu333.png

So it's not a handstand, but I can get into a headstand without the wall anymore!!!!
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Great job @Go_Deskercise ! Headstands are a great way to get used to inversions and develop core strength.
  • mthwbrwn
    mthwbrwn Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been looking to get back into handstands. Years ago, the building I worked in had a little gym with some free weights,a pulley contraption nautilus thing, a couple of treadmills and an a fair amount of open space. It was dinky but it was often times a private place to workout.
    I worked out diligently on my handstands, handstand pushups, round offs, back bends, and walkovers (front and back). Having never done any gymnastics as a kid, I was really impressed with my own progression.
    Then the gym closed for remodeling ... then the reopening got extended ... and extended.

I never really got back to the routine. I'd like to restart and see what I can regain. I kicked up to the wall and did a max hold of 1min 20, so that's a start.

I'm going to incorporate the 5 minutes everyday rule that people seem to be following here. with the plan to start with sets of 1 minute wall holds increasing by 5 secs every workout.

--
    I actually still have my printed copy of a training guide I was using at the time. It called A Parallette Training Guide by Jay Thornton. It was free when I got it but it looks like he now charges for it (though it is thrown in free with any order) . There are also sites that have a free copy, so you can find them if you look.

Anyway, looks like several people here would be into this kind of training.