finding difficult to Over head press

so i recently started doing stronglifts, thanks everyone for the suggestion. its helping me a lot.
i have some questions:

-when will i start seeing my biceps getting bigger?
-my sleep has drastically improved ever since i started this program, in fact too much to the point dont want to get up for work. is this a normal benefit?
-i am having difficulty doing OP. The basic premise for me to do this program was that I would gain strength and become stronger. I am noticing slight increases in strength with all other works that are part of this program such as squats, bench press etc. EXCEPT for over head press.
Last time I had to do 60 lbs of over head. I was able to do it but it took a lot from me. Took a lot of effort.
So to others who started this program, did you face this challenge and how did you overcome it?

Replies

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh, if you don’t mind me asking?
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    I don't weight lift but I've read your posts over the last week or so. I'd really suggest that you get a copy of Microsoft Excel (which is a spreadsheet) and use it to predict the weights you can lift in the future. You use the trend line feature to predict way, way into the future.

Any version of Excel is fine, it hasn't changed much in the last 15 years. You graph your lifting weight and then create an exponential tend line which has a form of A(1-e^(Bt)). You want Excel to predict A which is your lifetime maximum lifting weight. You can predict how much you will lift at date B.

Learning Excel isn't particularly hard, but it's not super easy either. There are numerous YouTube videos on how to do things, plus websites and Reddit Excel, which is where I'd suggest you start.
  • wiigelec
    threewins wrote: »
    You graph your lifting weight and then create an exponential tend line which has a form of A(1-e^(Bt)). You want Excel to predict A which is your lifetime maximum lifting weight.
    I think you mean a logarithmic trend line which approaches a limit as time approaches infinity, whereas an exponential trend line approaches infinity as time approaches a limit...

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2048:_Curve-Fitting

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member
    edited September 2019
    Before my shoulder injury I was OHP about 115 (for reps) after 3 years of dedicated lifting and proper program @ about 170-180 pounds of body weight . OHP progress is very slow especially done with correct form. You may even need to log it to see the small gains in strength over a time. Adding a rep over a month sorta thing. 60 at the start is expected. Just follow progressive overload principles
  • fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    wiigelec wrote: »
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh, if you don’t mind me asking?

im 5'11 and i weigh close to 180 lbs
  • fitpal02020
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Before my shoulder injury I was OHP about 115 (for reps) after 3 years of dedicated lifting and proper program @ about 170-180 pounds of body weight . OHP progress is very slow especially done with correct form. You may even need to log it to see the small gains in strength over a time. Adding a rep over a month sorta thing. 60 at the start is expected. Just follow progressive overload principles

thank u i'll keep going
  • wiigelec
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    -when will i start seeing my biceps getting bigger?
    when your deadlift gets closer to 400#...

• wiigelec
    Cool what does your recovery look like ie rest time between sets, amount of sleep, amount and quality of nutrition?
  • wiigelec
    edited September 2019
    Also how big of jumps are you taking between workouts? ie press 55 then next time 60 then next time 65 for 5# jumps for example...
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Not having much for your biceps is about the only complaint I've heard about Stronglifts. Most suggest adding a set of chin-ups, I can't remember if it was A or B workout. Chin-ups gave me fantastic biceps.

OHP is just difficult. I think it is supposed to "take a lot from" you. That is how it works.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    threewins wrote: »
    You graph your lifting weight and then create an exponential tend line which has a form of A(1-e^(Bt)). You want Excel to predict A which is your lifetime maximum lifting weight.
    I think you mean a logarithmic trend line which approaches a limit as time approaches infinity, whereas an exponential trend line approaches infinity as time approaches a limit...

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2048:_Curve-Fitting

I forgot to add the negative before B, but the logarithmic of infinity is infinity, whereas e^(-Bt) is zero. Logarithmic will never reach a constant.
  • fitpal02020
    edited September 2019
    Cool what does your recovery look like ie rest time between sets, amount of sleep, amount and quality of nutrition?

amazing, i am getting the best sleep of my life and i eat good healthy nutritious food
  • fitpal02020
    Also how big of jumps are you taking between workouts? ie press 55 then next time 60 then next time 65 for 5# jumps for example...

i am increasing weights by 5 lbs.
  • Plus I was resting 4 mins between sets . Make sure you rest.
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    When I did this program the OHP was my lowest weight lift as well and took the longest to see progress. I think that’s normal because the muscles in your neck and shoulders are considerably smaller than your legs and back.

Building muscle takes time, and eating at a surplus (unless you’re really new to lifting). My oldest son is 28, tall and thin, and he has to pretty much eat everything in sight and work really hard to put on muscle.
  • wiigelec
    amazing, i am getting the best sleep of my life and i eat good healthy nutritious food
    it would be more helpful if you could be a little more specific: number of hours sleep per night average, daily calories and macro breakdown and examples of some foods you eat each day.

Also what would be very helpful is a video of your press session to help identify any form issues. It could also be that what you think is hard is indeed not and you just need to learn how to move heavier weights, which is also easy to identify in a video via bar speed...

This discussion has been closed.