WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2019

Options

Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Rita ~ So sorry for the loss of your beloved pup! Hugs!
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am So sorry for the loss of your baby.Im crying 😭 reading the poem.🥀
    Debby In Va
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a 20-40-60 workout. Basically, this is an interval workout on the treadmill. Normally, I would take the water class tomorrow but since the one gal left, I’m going to take it Friday when I know they have an instructor so tomorrow the plan is to do Denise Austin’s Boot Camp DVD

Barbie – so glad that you got your phone worked out. I used to use my phone to time intervals but I’ve gotten to where I don’t need it any more.

SuziQ – I must have missed it. Would you please post again M’s link for meals?

Karen in VA – prayers for Josephine. She looks like such a happy child, even with everything happening to her.

M – what a horrible day you had!

Carol GA – I have had Rummikub here in the past. The thing is, that the clubhouse at Wynnshire Ridge is just more convenient for people. Well, I sent a “thank you” to the gal who usually secures the room for us expressing my regret that she will be unavailable for November. If she is available, I would think she’d let me know. We shall see how it goes.

Rita – words cannot begin to express how sorry I am for you. BTDT waayyyy too many times.

Roasted a spaghetti squash for me to have then roasted two butternut squashes to put in the freezer for later. Got dinner ready to be microwaved now into the pool I go!

Michele in NC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,764 Member
    Options
    Oh Rita ... that is so hard to do. Hugs.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,764 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sherrie! ... very sorry to hear that your husband has had a heart attack, but glad to hear that you are both making positive changes in your lives. This is a great place to visit for ideas, to share concerns, to vent ... we are here to support yours (and your family's) efforts for better health. There are a lot of ladies on this thread so do not feel compelled to respond to every post. Skim when the volume of posts get high or read them all ... there's no rules on how to best make use of this thread. The only thing we do try to avoid is politics and religion, but just about everything else is fine ...

Beth near Buffalo
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    :'(<3Rita, I am so sorry. We have had that experience and I know how painful it is.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,617 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    za63jd2v9kxt.jpeg

So sorry to hear
  • Rho97070
    Rho97070 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My September goals and how I did
    My three health goals for September were to (1) establish a regular sleep pattern; (2) measure my body weight and glucose each morning, and: (3) measure, weigh and track everything I eat, everyday. I was very successful with #1 and now sleep a lot better :smiley: I weighed myself daily, but didn't check GLU since I've practically given up sweets and added sugars so feel it's probably in check. As for logging what I ate, I maybe did it 98% of the time :#

My three personal goals for September were (1) meditate 10 min each a.m. and visualize/plan future 10 minutes each p.m; (2) clean out the garage of excess stuff[, and: (3) scan/digitize important papers (so I'm near paperless). Meditation practice is pretty much routine now, and I feel more focused and calmer in general. :smile: Neither of the last two items were completed 100% :neutral: They were bigger projects than I had originally thought :neutral:

I lost four lbs in the first couple of weeks and kept it off :smiley: I began daily walks, starting with just 10 minutes and did a few 20-30 minute walks :smiley: Overall, I'm satisfied, because an over-riding aim of mine is to avoid emotional see-saw affects and slowly "build muscle" since I'm in this for the long-run.

My goals for October 2019
    1. 2. & 3. Maintain meditation practices; Maintain regular sleep pattern; Maintain logging what I eat.

4. & 5. Measure body weight each a.m.; Exercise every day, work my way up to 30 minutes a day beforethe last week of October

6. 7. & 8. Clean out clothes closet; Complete cleaning out garage; Complete scanning important papers

9. Get out more/be more social; attend two cultural events and weekend get-away with with BF in November.

“One of the marvelous things about community is that it enables us to welcome and help people in a way we couldn't as individuals.” – Jean Vanier

<3<3<3 Thank you, Barbicat, for setting the tone for October and thank you to everyone for your tips, support, candor and humor <3<3<3
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Rita, many good thoughts for you. I'm so sorry about Chewy.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    Oh lord Rita that poem has me weeping.. poor Chewie. But think of all the wonderful adventures he had with you xoxoxo
    My deepest condolences honey xoxoxo
  • Rho97070
    Rho97070 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Debbie in VA You definitely have value. Don't think for a moment that you don't! We are listening. <3
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Hugs Rita! I'm so sorry!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    Happy October!! I am up 1.8 pounds for Sept and while not happy about it. I am happy it is not more. New month and a new start.

The weather is cooler and I am so ready for Fall. And trying to take one day at a time and remember to breath.

Thanks, Barbie for getting us going on the new month. You are a very speical person.

I did my 2 goals for last month and proud of that. 1. weigh every morning right out of the shower. 2. Get pictures finished put in the album. I have 3 for this month written down.

Barbie--Thanks for sharing the result of your phone charging. I am glad it was an $15 fix and not several hundred.

NYKaren--Love the sand sculptures. The detail is great. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Karen--Thanks for the update on Josephine. Keeping them in prayer.

Beth--No matter how old or far away our children are, we worry and want to protect them. Sending prayers and hugs for you and your son.

Rita--So sorry to hear about Chewy. Sending lots of hugs.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I feel like the only things that would be missed if I were gone is the income and the cooking and cleaning.No one hears a word I say and I feel like I have No value at all in any aspect of my life.
    Debby In Va

Big hugs for you Debby! I'm so sorry you feel that way.

Okie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Barbie: Thank you for starting the new thread for October. It is a wonderful gift. :heart:

Kim: I like your advice to Lisa. I would take cuttings of all the coleus plants I absolutely love and root them in little pots inside the house to set out next spring. My plants are mostly winter hardy. I still have fuchsias in bloom and will keep them happy as long as possible. When we have frost, I plan to put them on the ground next to/under my rhododendrons. Some years it works and other years I end up replacing the fuchsias. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I wonder about your council. Are people ready to move on to a bigger council or is there a rift that is causing the departures? :huh:

Kelli from Ontario CAN: Welcome to a supportive group! Bookmark our page by clicking on the blank star. It turns yellow. After that you can find us by clicking on the star. :star:

Rebecca: Back-atcha! :wink:

Lanette: I prefer “contacting” as well. “Reaching out” just adds words—and blah blah blah. It implies a personal connection that isn’t there. :grumble:

Karen in VA: Keeping Josephine the Ballerina in my prayers. I appreciate updates. :heart:

Machka: Sounds like the bus ride from h*ll. :grumble: I’m glad the jacket and phone are recovering. :flowerforyou:

Allie: Good luck with the application. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :heart:

Rita: I am so sorry that you had to have your dog put down. You have done a kindness to your loved pet, but it must be heartbreaking for you. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Sherrie: Welcome to a great group. :smiley:

(((Debbie in VA))) :flowerforyou:

Yoga today was wonderful. Many of the regulars were not present & I suspect they’ve gone to AZ for the winter. This afternoon DH is set for his first chair yoga here in town. I hope it turns out to be a good experience.

I’ve included my October goals/resolutions. They are very familiar to me and have been guiding me for a long time.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

October 2019 Resolutions

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours nightly.
    6. Avoid alcohol.
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Barbie Thank you for getting us started again! I love seeing everyone on these posts!! It reminds me I am not in this healthy lifestyle journey alone.

8nzg5pwfwmya.jpg

Rita I am so sorry for the loss of your fur baby!! It is always such a difficult time! They are just like people - only a lot of times even better!

Goals I have trouble with my goals, as I have not been meeting them lately. I am continuing to lose - very slowly. I had been shooting for a pound a week, but it isn't working out exactly that way, so rather than beat myself up (since I have lost 37 pounds since January 8, so I'm almost on track - it just hasn't happened every week and I lost a bunch the first couple of weeks). I will say in October 1) I will continue losing, 2) I will increase my movement, and 3) I will continue cleaning the house in prep for dear grand baby coming in December.

Newbies Welcome! Welcome! You have found a great group of supportive women here. I am still fairly new, but have really enjoyed getting to know everyone better. Someone had mentioned making a spreadsheet to keep track of everyone. That might not be a bad idea!

Re-introductions Maybe we could have a short introduction by everyone just to catch up on who we all are? Have you ever done anything like that? (Names, ages, goal weights and original weight, a bit about ourselves and our lives etc??). Since the group moves so quickly, it is hard to go back to re-acquaint ourselves. I don't know if it's something everyone could use, but since my brain injury, I could really use a refresher!! I will include a quick one in a spoiler in case others like the idea and want to follow along:
    I'm Luci which is short for Lucinda. I will be 63 in December. I am married, have 3 children and 3 step children (the Brady Bunch - only with 5 boys), 2 grandchildren and a new one on the way in December. I joined MFP in January when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I am controlling the diabetes with diet and exercise so far. Original weight 215 pounds (had been up to 235 at times) and current weight 179 (I'm 5'7"). I was a professional violinist, licensed massage therapist and licensed esthetician. I also worked with youth and adults with developmental disabilities and profound mental health disabilities. I was in a severe auto accident 11 years ago and have been unable to work a regular job since then. My husband is also retired. We currently have our second set of 2 retired greyhounds who I spoil relentlessly. I am an avid University of Michigan football fan after having been raised in Ann Arbor and my siblings and I attended the University (although I have met wonderful Ohio State alumni here and am opening my mind to stopping the hate...lol). Love to all, and looking forward to another great month!!