Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• jaroby
    jaroby Posts: 152 Member
    edited July 2019
    heybales wrote: »
    Since you posted in a topic about Recomp - which is maintaining weight but transforming body by still losing fat - you are accomplishing that.

But since that is not your desire - I'd suggest starting your own topic.

I'll start out with a stressed out body undereating more than it desires can increase cortisol levels, which can help to slowly retain upwards of 20 lbs of water.

How many weeks could that mask fat loss on the scale, but your inches prove the fat is dropping.

Of course, a body under enough stress to react that way isn't good - so perhaps deficit is too great.

Or you are somehow wiping out a rather big deficit with inaccurate food and exercise calories logging.

When you start your topic - include if weighing foods (not measuring), and where the workout calorie burns come from.

Sorry, I thought since I seem to be in recomp (but don’t want to be, as you said) a thread about recomp might be the most helpful place. I didn’t know if maybe there was an aspect about recomp that I was missing therefore sticking me in recomp when I would like to no be. :smile:

I am weighing my foods + measuring the volume of liquids when appropriate, I’ve stated that above.

And WOAH. I had no idea the body could retain so many lbs of water! That’s incredible helpful to know, even if my body is or isn’t doing that, I didn’t even know it was an option.

Thanks for your reply!
  • tthickens637
    tthickens637 Posts: 312 Member
    edited August 2019
    noodlesno wrote: »
    So been in maintenance since March. Haven't been purposely recomping (I know that is not a real word :D) however, lifting heavy weights has done its magic and definitely changed my body as you can see below.

So decided to take the recomp serious as of this week. Got myself an incredible trainer and looking to move my body fat from 25% (picture on right) to 18%-20%. I also want to get some of those abs people talk about and be able to do a set of pull up's and deadlift 100kg. Wish me luck!!!

The question I want to ask though (sorry if this has already been asked a million times); do I need to go to cut and bulk cycles? Is it possible just to do this gently with a slight calorie deficit? I would like to be a bit gentle with my body after the last year and losing 100lbs in 11 months.

m7qei1zbv279.png

Nice work! No reason you can't take it slow with a slight deficit (a lot of folks don't have the patience).
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    @noodlesno
    You don't NEED to do cut/bulk cycles.

Only the elite few with many years of serious training behind them and very advanced body composition goals might actually need to. But that's to progress beyond a physique that few will aspire to or achieve. Other people may choose to but that's very different to being a requirement.

Ok perfect, thanks. Maybe one day I will get to that point but for now, slight kcal deficit, high protein, and heavyweights will hopefully do the job (with a little sprinkle of cardio for that heart health).

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Ooh, this needs a big BUMP, :) h
  • Dvdgzz impressive progress. Can I ask have you maintained at 180 the whole time or have you run any cut and bulk cycles?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Oh my goodness, I first thought it was only 4 months between the first and second shot and couldn't believe it. Then I saw it was a YEAR and 4 months. Much more believable. Great job man. One of the best recomp successes I've seen.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    So is there any reason why a person could not do recomp cycles during the last 30 or so pounds of weight loss? If so, what would make sense? Would something like 4 months at TDEE followed by 2 months of deficit (the deficit part I will figure out) be worth doing? I am not in a significant hurry to finish losing and I am patient enough that just because some of my results will stay hidden won't bother me. I don't think I would be interested in any type of bulking while I still have so much to lose.

• Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    So is there any reason why a person could not do recomp cycles during the last 30 or so pounds of weight loss? If so, what would make sense? Would something like 4 months at TDEE followed by 2 months of deficit (the deficit part I will figure out) be worth doing? I am not in a significant hurry to finish losing and I am patient enough that just because some of my results will stay hidden won't bother me. I don't think I would be interested in any type of bulking while I still have so much to lose.

It would depend on how much muscle you have already gained since 30 pounds of lean body mass on top of their bmi weight is about the max that can be achieved.

• Novusdies I see no reason why you can’t do that. Basically you would be cutting them having an extended diet break. Makes sense if you want to have an extended period of not dieting.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited October 2019
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

It would depend on how much muscle you have already gained since 30 pounds of lean body mass on top of their bmi weight is about the max that can be achieved.

I would essentially be a newbie. I have done some strength training but not nearly enough. I am not even cleared to try it again (post-op) for another 2 months. That is my primary motivation for considering this plan. I would like to make some progress with a little efficiency. I do not want to spend too much time technically obese so that is why I want to alternate some deficit periods.
  • Novus: you have a sensible and sustainable plan and makes perfect sense to prioritise recovery and then look at practising maintenance.

Strength training when you are cleared to start will help you maintain lean mass.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    I have an unintended recomp experience I thought I’d post here...

HW: 200 lbs. in 2017
    Weight Loss SW: 190 lbs. in February 2018
    Recomp SW: 135 lbs. in May 2019
    CW: 142 lbs. in December 2019

I lost 65 lbs. over the course of a bit over a year, while lifting a couple times a week, and did not like my body composition at all. I thought I needed to lose more fat, but was too burnt out and tired of being in a deficit after a year. So, I switched my focus to lifting in a more focused way, and let the calories be what they may.

A couple weeks ago I took some progress pictures, and there’s a big difference! I have gained some weight but also look like I lost body fat.

Recomp is working for me!aiv6n6gpcr2t.png
    scvh9hbv2elt.png
    av5p7lwxcd5i.jpeg

Looks like recomping made your hair darker as well...