For those who are single, do you cook?

Options
I eat out A LOT. I don’t have a hard time staying within my calories because most places have nutrition posted. I do get hungry often because I’m eating fast food for the most part (mostly sub sandwiches and chicken). I could eat a lot more and more healthy if I cooked myself. For example I’ll probably go to Taco Bell later but I could eat twice as many tacos if I made them myself.

The problem is I find cooking such a lonely activity. I stand in the kitchen alone for 20-30 minutes making something and then sit for a while by myself to eat. I put on music or watch tv but it’s still quiet.

Just wondering if other single people cook or what they do.

Replies

• MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Cooking and eating has to be the loneliest activity there is. I do cook. I usually try cook and freeze left overs as meals for another day. Although, it's so much easier just to have toast for dinner. Honestly, if I weren't single, I'd probably eat so much healthier.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I’m single and rarely cook beyond maybe some breakfast on the weekends. I use a meal delivery service, so my main meal of the day just gets selected and zapped. I have a smoothie in the morning before the gym (does that count as cooking, lol) and either go out for dinner or heat up leftovers from the last time I went out to dinner.

Cooking and eating at home are highly overrated components of weight loss/management, in my opinion.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    When I was single, I only cooked food as a necessity and for efficiency. Presentation and palatability were negligible. It only needed to be edible.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Yup.. 99% of the time
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Siege_Tank wrote: »
    Aye, but it's quite a shame really. I skip plating and presentation, and usually just eat it right as it cools. If it goes in a bowl, I serve it in my glass Tupperware and lid it up when I'm through. No sense in lighting a dinner candle just just me and my chicken and veggies.

Depends how good that chicken looks.

I don't cook and don't really eat out unless you count a little somethin' somethin' from the Whole Foods hot bar or some frozen yogurt on my evening walks "eating out".

I like the quiet or having the tv for company so I'm good.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    When I was single, or even when I was married previously and worked opposite shifts to my then-husband, I cooked once or twice a week and ate leftovers a LOT. I don't mind doing that and I usually made meals I really liked and seasoned them to my taste. Common for me were meatloaf & veggie, taco salad, beans & cornbread, various chicken casseroles, and spaghetti. I'd have them maybe 3-4 meals and in between go out or just make a sandwich or something.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    I mostly make easy stuff like sheet pan meals and stir fry. I'll try new recipes a couple times a month. It's a lot more fun cooking when I have company. I usually double my recipes so I don't have to cook every night.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Aye, but it's quite a shame really. I skip plating and presentation, and usually just eat it right as it cools. If it goes in a bowl, I serve it in my glass Tupperware and lid it up when I'm through. No sense in lighting a dinner candle just just me and my chicken and veggies.

I don't cook and don't really eat out unless you count a little somethin' somethin' from the Whole Foods hot bar or some frozen yogurt on my evening walks "eating out".

I have a theory that the singles who cook a lot are happier being at home in general. While some down time is nice, overall I would rather be around friends and family or out doing something where other people are than doing just about anything at home (much less cooking and eating) by myself.
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't cook - I get impatient with how long it takes and all the dirty dishes. I didn't cook when I was married either. I'm trying to be better about it to save money, but it's not going very well.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

It's pretty good, that's why i got into cooking.. I got burned too many times eating out by food that was just.. dead. Everything I cook is.. done right, I'll say. Quite tasty.

You don't cook and don't eat out? What do you do for food then? :tongue:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to be a healthy weight when I'm single. I cook more simply, and make meals that have less calories. I also cook less often - have leftovers more.

Additionally, I spend more time at the gym when single.