I am devastated

Options
So I've been doing PIlates for 10 months daily and tracking my food intake (though I admit not religiously). I can see definite change in my body and am starting to feel really good about myself again. Yesterday I went to a luncheon where there were several people who haven't seen me in a long time, and I expected compliments. I wore a cute dress (with spanx) and thought I looked really good. Everyone was happy to see me, but not one person commented on how I looked. Then someone insisted on a group photo. Afterward she sent it out to all of us and I look terrible. Seriously the worst photo of me ever. I sent it to my BF crying and she assured me it was just a bad angle and that no, I don't look like that.

But now I'm questioning if I've been kidding myself. Maybe I don't look much different to anyone else and it's all in my head. I don't even want to face this day.

Replies

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Never underestimate the power of good lighting. You may just have stumbled into a bad angle or lighting, and that can have a huge effect on how the picture comes out. Hop right back on that reformer and keep doing what you are doing! You fee and look great- don’t let lack of comments on weight loss deter you!
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could ask your BF to take a few pics of you with great lighting, cute dress, and then show you her favorite. I bet you'd be pleasantly surprised.

I agree that people don't say "have you lost weight?" or "You look great!" as much as they used to. Citation: lifelong yo-yo dieter so I heard it tons in my 20's, plenty in my 30s, sometimes in my 40s, and now that I'm in my early 50s and have gained/lost full cycles two and a half times, only one person did, and she's a relative. So...I agree that the culture changed.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I'm sorry that the photo upset you. I take horrific photos. When people here suggested before and afters, I cringed in fear.

You were so proud of yourself up until you didn't get recognized for your efforts. People are stupid. I want you to feel proud of yourself again!

You've done pilates for 10 months! I did pilates for 10 seconds and gave up.

I'm proud of how far you've come. I think your dedication is fantastic and inspiring and I thank you for it. 💙

Ok this made me tear up. Thank you!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    we had our wedding in july. in some of the pics, i look downright skinny (yay!) in others.... on the plump side. its alllll about lighting and angles and positioning and even the camera settings.

do what you are doing for YOU, not for other people. People dont comment about weight changes as much as they used to, especially as you get older.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    People in general just don't comment now - we can be darned if we do, and darned if we don't.
    Devastated is a strong word. Do this for you, noone else. Stick with it because you said yourself you were feeling good, so keep going.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    If you feel good, that should be all that matters. Sure, it's nice when people comment. And I've had that over the last few months from people I haven't seen for awhile. Last was a couple of days ago. I've never liked pictures of me, and still don't if not taken from the right angle, etc. And it's hard to get good group photos. And they say the camera adds 10 lbs, right?
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I'm a semi professional photographer, I can attest that 90% of how a photograph comes out is the lighting, posing, lens choice, etc. The same person can look dramatically different in one photo vs another depending on how it was composed. Everyone has good pictures and bad pictures. Don't let one bad picture get you down.

Exactly! And don't forget what was used to take the picture! Assuming this picture was taken with a phone, the picture quality isn't going to match an actual, good, camera.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I look bad in pics too...the only way I look half decent is when it is more of a posed pic and I am ready for it...even then that is not always good:)

The worst pics for me are the ones that I do not know someone is taking a picture..i.e. I am stuffing food into my mouth. My inlaws are bad for this...constantly snapping pics at family dinners, etc. and it is like seriously can I not just eat my food with out worrying that someone is taking a picture.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    I look bad in pics too...the only way I look half decent is when it is more of a posed pic and I am ready for it...even then that is not always good:)

The worst pics for me are the ones that I do not know someone is taking a picture..i.e. I am stuffing food into my mouth. My inlaws are bad for this...constantly snapping pics at family dinners, etc. and it is like seriously can I not just eat my food with out worrying that someone is taking a picture.

We might be related. I love capturing people with food in their mouth. They are some of my favorite pictures. I am not a fan of posed shots. They are stale and do little to tell a story. Candid shots are so much better.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I guess the best thing to say is that nowadays it's not considered politically correct to comment on someone's weight even when they've lost. I have been surprised by how many people even on these boards comment that they don't like people to mention it. When I was losing I had lost about 35 pounds before someone finally summoned up the courage to ask me "are you losing weight on purpose"? I realized then that everyone thought maybe I was sick, lol. I was so relieved that someone finally noticed. I take horrible pictures too and often think I look fatter than I am in them. You need to realize that often when you are fat in your head no matter what a photo or mirror tells you that's what you see. Don't pay any attention. You have worked very hard and I am sure you look much better. Keep doing what you are doing. <3

Yes, I'd think a person would have to lose at least 30 pounds before I'd mention it. Heck, I needed to lose about that much before I was noticing a difference in the mirror at the gym.

Note: I'm talking about people in the high 100s / low 200s. A smaller person would take less weight to be noticeable and a larger person more.