• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm not an introvert, I'm socially awkward. 😳
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I read a definition here about intro- and extroversion that I found interesting. It was along the lines that if you feel 'recharged" while being alone, you are an introvert, and if you recharge with people, you are an extrovert.

I'm definitely an introvert, which probably explains why I do not feel lonely. I recharge in my garden or the woods by myself.

I work from home and can go days without leaving the house or speaking in person to anyone but my OH, which is fine with me. I interact with coworkers via daily IM and weekly phone calls, I see family weekly, and I maintain relationships with friends who are now long distance, and that fills my needs for socialization.

I've previously picked girlfriends who were drama-llamas, but think I've outgrown that now.

I really think that’s what it comes down to in a big way. I am a textbook extrovert—it’s been a long week and I’m sitting here counting the minutes til I can go to supper club and hang out with my friends. For me it’s not a matter of skill—From the time I was 10 I was responsible for lunches and dinners for my family. It’s a matter of interest and where I prefer to put my time and effort. I put my effort into maximizing the time I can spend with family and friends, which often involves food. My condo is really just a place to sleep, shower, and keep my stuff.
    I’ve actually turned down jobs that had a large work at home component. It would KILL me!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I'm single (widowed 21 years now) and absolutely, I cook.

I make foods I find much tastier and more satisfying than what most restaurants dish out, at lower calories, and it's way less expensive. I've been cooking for a long time, so mostly just make things up (don't follow recipes), and always have a few things prepped in the freezer for over-busy days. Usually, I find slicing and chopping quite restful and meditative. It's fun to go to the farmers market and pick out fresh goodies, try new things, experiment. I'll often cut up raw veggies, and snack on those while I cook the main dish, listen to radio news or music, etc. Enjoyable!

I eat out with friends once or twice a week, occasionally pick up something when on the run or for variety, go out for a special meal alone occasionally, but most meals are home-cooked, by far.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Yes i cook, but not daily.

I usually cook twice a week and eat leftovers.

I also have a few quick and easy meals that I often prepare like veggie burgers.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I’m single and I quite enjoy cooking. I find it relaxing. I love making a big batch of soup or stew on a lazy afternoon. I’m definitely an introvert. Being alone is how I recharge. I consider cooking a way to destress and experiment with new ideas and recipes. I like finding new ways to nourish myself and work towards weight loss and health.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Siege_Tank wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    Siege_Tank wrote: »
    Aye, but it's quite a shame really. I skip plating and presentation, and usually just eat it right as it cools. If it goes in a bowl, I serve it in my glass Tupperware and lid it up when I'm through. No sense in lighting a dinner candle just just me and my chicken and veggies.

Depends how good that chicken looks.

I don't cook and don't really eat out unless you count a little somethin' somethin' from the Whole Foods hot bar or some frozen yogurt on my evening walks "eating out".

I like the quiet or having the tv for company so I'm good.

It's pretty good, that's why i got into cooking.. I got burned too many times eating out by food that was just.. dead. Everything I cook is.. done right, I'll say. Quite tasty.

You don't cook and don't eat out? What do you do for food then? :tongue:

Hah! Well, I microwave eggs...but mostly cottage cheese or greek yogurt mixed with protein powder, protein bars, tuna packets, some fruit, chocolate, cookies :), cereal, stuff like that. I don't eat many veggies...
  • COGypsy
    Options
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    I'm single. I cook for myself most days, and when the dish allows it, I double the quantity so I can have leftovers for the next day. I have zero issues with dining alone, and in fact I have to admit that usually I even prefer it.

I get to cook what I want, when I want, and how I want. I don't need to cater to someone else's taste buds, only mine. I don't cook very elaborate meals that would trap me in the kitchen for hours, because I don't have patience for that, but then again I prefer simpler food, so it all works out for me.

I've heard many people throughout the years saying that if it's only for them, then it's not worth the trouble to cook. I find that a bit sad (sorry!), because if I'm not worth it, then who is?!

I say exactly the same thing about the money I spend on meal services and eating out....there are SO many things I would cut from my budget before I’d regularly cook and eat by myself.
  • MoxyLeigh
    MoxyLeigh Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I do cook, generally daily, and I don't mind cooking or eating alone really. I also don't mind going to a restaurant alone though, which many people find... well, weird.

Not to say I don't miss having someone to cook for. I enjoy cooking for other people, and I certainly "do it up" more under those circumstances. But yeah, if I'm alone I find food to be good company. Lol.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I cook a few nights a week and make sure I have enough for leftovers / lunches. I am also cooking for my 6 year old son so eating out alot isnt an option for me 3😁
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! My dear wife is away for a few weeks and I cook and eat what I like: fish for breakfast, fish for lunch, fish for dinner! And shellfish, and crayfish, and prawns, and shrimps, and octopus, and squid, and... and ... and...just love it!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    ambivert.
    i usually cook on the weekends or mondays and eat the leftovers. i do plate. cooking is an adventure. enjoying the flavors are an adventure.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    @just_Tomek You can cook for me any day! Your food always looks so yummy! :yum:
    You plate & photograph it so well.
  • sjerseygirlm76
    sjerseygirlm76 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    a mix of both, eat out some but cook a lot as well
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking but I do it because I have to. I usually just throw some protein, assorted veggies, a complex carb & some type of sauce in my instant pot & walk away. I make enough to freeze for the next week. I would hate to have to cook for someone who is a fussy eater & doesn't like leftovers.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    I don't cook - I get impatient with how long it takes and all the dirty dishes. I didn't cook when I was married either. I'm trying to be better about it to save money, but it's not going very well.

Ugh, the clean up! It just doesn’t seem worth it to me, especially because I don’t enjoy it, to cook and clean for just me.
  • COGypsy
    Options
    I don't cook - I get impatient with how long it takes and all the dirty dishes. I didn't cook when I was married either. I'm trying to be better about it to save money, but it's not going very well.

Ugh, the clean up! It just doesn’t seem worth it to me, especially because I don’t enjoy it, to cook and clean for just me.

When I do cook, I try to use as much disposable stuff as I can to avoid having to spend any MORE time in the kitchen, but then I start to feel guilty about using so much disposable stuff and just end up going out instead. Then I get the guilt of throwing away all the groceries that spoiled. It's really just been so much easier since I decided to figure out a way to sustainably mitigate the need to cook at all.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Cooking is therapeutic to me.
    Put on a music I like, give myself a glass of wine, start chopping and cooking.
    I'm not single but I end up cooking by myself a lot. (everyone is so busy!) I enjoy it.
    Besides, you know exactly what you're going to eat. It's important if you're watching your diet.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I'm not single, but my husband does work a lot of evening shifts - he's in the restaurant biz. So I always plan ahead, and will make something Monday, for example, that I know will have leftovers I can have Tuesday and Friday when he's gone too. I don't mind cooking alone, that way I get to have exactly what I want and how I want it. I often try new things on myself, and if they turn out good will make them for us when he's home. We have a 4 year old, and she just goes with the flow and eats whatever we're having (most of the time.)