Emotions hindering weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    You might look into Ashwagandha. It's an herb that has been proven to reduce Cortisol levels with no side affects. Obviously, consult with your doc if you're on any medications.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/12-proven-ashwagandha-benefits

I'm also a high-level "headhunter". I tell people all the time, money isn't the most important thing in life. It's more about if you're happy, feel appreciated and are compensated fairly for what you do for a living. It sounds like your work is putting too much on your shoulders. Perhaps have a talk with them directly about it. I'm not telling you to switch jobs, but many are hesitant to have honest dialogues with their employers about the stresses that their jobs create. Some can't say no or "I need help". When you dread work, it's an issue. Sounds to me like you're starting to dread your work.

Also, those last 10 lbs are incredibly hard to lose. It takes really buckling up your diet.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    all i have to offer is to look to the 5 senses. try to circumvent thinking for short periods by: deep breathing a smell you enjoy like fabric softener in your clothing or cologne on your shirt, hugging a loved one and (im not kidding here) taking deep breaths of their "smell" especially a parent figure you love if available, looking at things you think are beautiful (cars, puppies, art, batman fan art or whatever, listening to music that makes you happy (not amped up), petting a dog/cat/etc or getting a massage, tasting and enjoying things you you enjoy (within your goals (like the first cup of coffee in the am or a beer after work or a favorite recipe.

the thing is, you have stress that is essentially routine for you. chronic stress. you obviously would benefit from changing jobs or dealing holistically with the issues. yeah, but, in the meantime for relief? make your limbic system relax in small moments. hopefully by making these pleasures more regularly occurring each day you'll be in a spot where you can figure out how to fix the larger issues.

sending you good vibes!
  • noah49822
    noah49822 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support! I still have not lost any more weight but I'm pretty sure I have been allowing myself to make some less than perfect food choices. I guess at least I have been maintaining!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    noah49822 wrote: »
    Terytha wrote: »
    Nope. But, stress and lack of sleep frequently lead to a lower NEAT, and a higher rate of water retention.

So you may be burning a bit less and also masking the fat burn with water. I really wouldn't be worried about it. If anything I'd maybe take a little diet break and focus on relaxing and reducing sources of stress.

I certainly wish i knew how to reduce the stress right now!

I like to do yoga and deep breathing when I'm stressed. 10 minutes a day to just be and let your thoughts go where they may. Also make sure you get some sun light and plenty of water. Water flushes the salts from you and the sunlight gives you some vitamin D.
    You can also message friends to vent to, if you don't have anyone you can vent to me. I hope you feel better.
    Our bodies need salt. As in, if you don't have enough of it and other electrolytes, you will die (or rather, your brain will swell and then you'll die). And no, I'm not saying that a little extra water every day will cause the OP (or most anyone) to be at risk for hyponatremia, but I also am confused as to why the need to flush out salts from one's body is being mentioned.

I’m not saying flush all salt from your system. But water weight is mainly a build up of salt. A little extra water actually makes people feel better.

This is untrue and not helpful. Water retention happens for many reasons and unless it is causing a specific medical problem like edema it is not something that a person should try and fix. Water levels are supposed to rise and fall. That is how we are designed to work.
  • matthewprymek
    matthewprymek Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I realize I'm a little late to the posts here, and if you've seen any of my other posts then you realize I'm pretty much saying the exact same thing in every post :D

If you're having problems with continuous stress, then my recommendation (aside from the recommendations everybody else has provided, all of which are great - reconsidering your work & work/life balance, taking a maintenance week from dieting, sleep hygiene) would be picking up a meditation practice, even if its just sneaking in fifteen minutes once or twice a day. Phone on silent, not taking any calls from anybody. And learning to deepen your concentration and focus on your breath.

Unlike other stress-reduction methods suggested here, this has much deeper and continuous benefits. Much of your stress sounds like it originates from worry and the associated patterns of thought. Learning to concentrate extremely intensely on any one, simple stimulus (such as the breath, or a candle, or a mark on the wall) will help train you to observe the origination of thought in general, and to discard them. When your worries arise, you can learn how to 'kill' the trains of thought that would otherwise cause you to worry.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    noah49822 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the support! I still have not lost any more weight but I'm pretty sure I have been allowing myself to make some less than perfect food choices. I guess at least I have been maintaining!

Somehow, you've got to bring some fun back into your life and workplace. It may be a pressure cooker but practice some delegation skill subsets so you can roll with it for the rest of your life. Are you taking on too much and do you need to delegate, delegate, delegate. A loosening of control can bring some ease into the workplace.