Re-watching Biggest Loser after losing 20 lbs; It's so toxic.

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Yep. I have always thought it was a sick, sad TV show. When I was at my heaviest - and now after losing almost 140 lb. It's disgusting to me the way the people are treated.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    The sad truth is that over 80% of people who lose weight gain the weight back within 5 years, no matter how they lost the weight. Some gain even more than they lost. None of us are immune. Learning new eating habits and following them for your lifetime isn’t easy for anyone. It takes diligence and perseverance.

Getting back to OP. I agree. It’s a demeaning and bullying show, but most reality shows are.

Yes ma'am... most people are unwilling to give up the pleasures of the palate..

I would argue it's not that simple (I mean, we have to eat).

Plus, one of the horrible messages about eating healthy is that it has to be boring, bland, and lackluster. '

Also not saying there shouldn't be accountability and people need to make good choices. But it's easy to be fooled into thinking something is healthy (or not).

Agreed, though simple, homemade food can be both healthier and satisfying. It's all a matter of prospective. Yes ,it is that easy.

There's nothing easy about it. Calling it easy usually comes from a place of privilege and is diminishing of all those who struggle immensely.

Oh... I am guessing you were born in a western affluent country? Lol yeah... that's a privilege unto itself.... remember that... I'm out...
  • psychod787
    Options
    The sad truth is that over 80% of people who lose weight gain the weight back within 5 years, no matter how they lost the weight. Some gain even more than they lost. None of us are immune. Learning new eating habits and following them for your lifetime isn’t easy for anyone. It takes diligence and perseverance.

Getting back to OP. I agree. It’s a demeaning and bullying show, but most reality shows are.

Plus, one of the horrible messages about eating healthy is that it has to be boring, bland, and lackluster. '

Also not saying there shouldn't be accountability and people need to make good choices. But it's easy to be fooled into thinking something is healthy (or not).

Agreed, though simple, homemade food can be both healthier and satisfying. It's all a matter of prospective. Yes ,it is that easy.

There's nothing easy about it. Calling it easy usually comes from a place of privilege and is diminishing of all those who struggle immensely.

In my life I have seen people struggle. In fact I have been there. Not knowing how the Bills are going to get paid. In the USA, we have SOME social safety nets. I am not saying it is much most times. Some family's get $150 US to feed 5 people. Though, we humans have brains that are nothing but a giant calculators. We are always running complex equations on cost vs benefit analysis. Human nature is to do as little as possible for the greatest possible gain. That includes food. One can make cheap homemade food for very little. Though, it requires effort. It goes against our nature. I can make a simple meal for less than $1 us a person. Or, I could go to McDonalds and get a super tasty $1 burger. I have little issues with people getting a hand up in life, but am completely against letting fast food chains and convenience stores take EBT.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just hated how everybody and their brother started doing BL challenges IRL.

A. It was just annoying to witness
    B. It set up unrealistic expectations and then disappointment in the normal people who participated
    C. It encouraged really bad ideas. Fad diets, under eating, unsustainable conditions, etc.

My husband’s fire dept did this, what the organizers didn’t know was there was a side bet. The winners would celebrate their win by participating in one of those eating challenges put on by a local bar. (2lb burger is consumed with 22 fries and 2 oz. soup in under 22 minutes).

I just shook my head at the whole thing.

• psychod787
    Options
    I have never actually watched the show, but can tell you I have read the research behind successful excontestants.... they maintained a PAL of 1.7-1.8.... aka highly active. Maintained some form of dietary control.... I looks like a sickening show, I dont watch much t.v.... so....🤨
  • psychod787
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@Terytha what exactly are you arguing against here? The act of cooking simple homemade food or something else?

And what's your point about privilege? Are you referring to people with cars and access to supermarkets vs those who live in food deserts?

To give another perspective, in many parts of the world, NOT having to eat simple homemade meals would be the privilege.

This is soo TRUE! I have been places where KFC was considered "special" day out. If people ate "out", it was usually from venders at the market selling homemade meals.
  • richstyles
    richstyles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Even the show's name is toxic. These "tough love" type reality shows should be banned. What these people need is a positive and supportive environment. If anything they need to be taught that they are awesome just the way they are and the number on the scale is just that. It becomes much better once you shed the emotional baggage.

But of course drama sells.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    There's one show like this that is funded by Walmart. Every single one of their participants winds up needing a tummy-tuck at the end. It's like a make-work project for plastic surgeons.

These shows set not-only unrealistic expectations for weight loss rate, but also for the level of effort required to lose weight. I wonder how many people have been discouraged from even trying because they thought they needed to spend 5 hours a day at the gym?
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@Terytha what exactly are you arguing against here? The act of cooking simple homemade food or something else?

And what's your point about privilege? Are you referring to people with cars and access to supermarkets vs those who live in food deserts?

To give another perspective, in many parts of the world, NOT having to eat simple homemade meals would be the privilege.

Privilege isn't just money, but it must be nice to live in a world where that's true.

First: the privilege of a kitchen. My first apartment didn't even have one. I had my parents old microwave and a hot plate. I had one pan.

Second: the privilege of knowledge. I didn't know how to cook. I still barely know how to cook.

Third: the privilege of health. When I had a kitchen, I still had to bus to the grocery store, haul everything back, up to the third floor, put it all away, cook it, then clean up. Let me tell you which of those things happened when I was struggling with depression: none. Zero.

All of these things had work arounds which I learned over time. But to call it easy is beyond insulting to the hard work I put in.