Re-watching Biggest Loser after losing 20 lbs; It's so toxic.

Options
13»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Terytha wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    The sad truth is that over 80% of people who lose weight gain the weight back within 5 years, no matter how they lost the weight. Some gain even more than they lost. None of us are immune. Learning new eating habits and following them for your lifetime isn’t easy for anyone. It takes diligence and perseverance.

Getting back to OP. I agree. It’s a demeaning and bullying show, but most reality shows are.

Yes ma'am... most people are unwilling to give up the pleasures of the palate..

I would argue it's not that simple (I mean, we have to eat).

Plus, one of the horrible messages about eating healthy is that it has to be boring, bland, and lackluster. '

Also not saying there shouldn't be accountability and people need to make good choices. But it's easy to be fooled into thinking something is healthy (or not).

Agreed, though simple, homemade food can be both healthier and satisfying. It's all a matter of prospective. Yes ,it is that easy.

There's nothing easy about it. Calling it easy usually comes from a place of privilege and is diminishing of all those who struggle immensely.

@Terytha what exactly are you arguing against here? The act of cooking simple homemade food or something else?

And what's your point about privilege? Are you referring to people with cars and access to supermarkets vs those who live in food deserts?

To give another perspective, in many parts of the world, NOT having to eat simple homemade meals would be the privilege.

Privilege isn't just money, but it must be nice to live in a world where that's true.

First: the privilege of a kitchen. My first apartment didn't even have one. I had my parents old microwave and a hot plate. I had one pan.

Second: the privilege of knowledge. I didn't know how to cook. I still barely know how to cook.

Third: the privilege of health. When I had a kitchen, I still had to bus to the grocery store, haul everything back, up to the third floor, put it all away, cook it, then clean up. Let me tell you which of those things happened when I was struggling with depression: none. Zero.

All of these things had work arounds which I learned over time. But to call it easy is beyond insulting to the hard work I put in.

As far as your depression... my heart truly does go out to you. In my home country, we are very wealthy. Yet, mental health goes woefully untreated. It is just easier to lock those with mental health issues up when they commit crimes than to treat them. Many I have met have only recieved any real treatment once they are locked up with animals. Its sad..
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I hate that this show sets unrealistic expectations. You would think it would be obvious that this show is not going to be an example for the average person but I can’t even count the number of times I have talked to people who watch this show, are intelligent people otherwise, but feel that they should realistically be able to lose 10-20 lbs a week because they see that on tv. Then, when they don’t see a huge jump in the scale, they get discouraged and give up.

I've watched this happen so much. A friend of mine lost about 70 lb in a few months and regained over 100, she is convinced not only that the BL methods are great but that she is worthless and a failure. It makes me sick and sad.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I hate that this show sets unrealistic expectations. You would think it would be obvious that this show is not going to be an example for the average person but I can’t even count the number of times I have talked to people who watch this show, are intelligent people otherwise, but feel that they should realistically be able to lose 10-20 lbs a week because they see that on tv. Then, when they don’t see a huge jump in the scale, they get discouraged and give up.

Yes, when I first started on MFP I chose the 2 pounds per week goal with the exact rationale that if people on BL could lose in double digits, I could do 2 # per week.

I changed it before the first day was over, lol.

I feel bad for people who come here with unrealistic expectations and end up with hair loss etc from undereating, which is why I often share this graphic that I know some regulars are sick of seeing:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

I'd prefer everyone who undereats to read this story https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10761904/under-1200-for-weight-loss/p1 but often a graphic is a more effective way to communicate.

Insightful. My mom is one of these people. She watches this show and expects those results she is also a very experienced RN. SMH.