Are you the most active person you know?

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I am by far the most active of my blood relatives. I hadn't thought of this till you posed the question. Maybe it's a stretch, but it could be said that I have raised myself above my circumstances. My husband is more active though, as are most of my friends. Maybe it could be said that I choose wisely.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Excluding mfp people, yes, quite easily. No one in my circle or family are interested in exercising.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    I used to be pre-kids (cycled 100-200K a week, plus walked 10K a day and weight trained 4x a week). But now with a baby and a three year old I don't get anywhere near as much exercise. My 68 year old father swims 2500 meters every day.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    This seems like a humble brag. What does it matter if I’m more active than others around me? My fitness and health are just for me and to ensure I’m healthy for my family.

It's very interesting to read that so many people are having success in weight loss without being insanely physically active because diet culture tells us we have to work out everyday and eat nothing but cabbage soup to lose weight.

It was also nice for me to think about because I always am hard on myself these days because the only exercise I can do regularly is walking. But after coming to this post, I realized that even if it's just walking, I put in more hours of purposeful physical exercise than anyone I know, and that gave me a little boost of confidence to keep going. It reminded me how dedicated I am and how much I am willing to put into this to get to a healthier weight. Kinda like the old saying it doesn't matter how fast you go, just keep going :)

It also makes me see how many others are surrounded by super active people and how inspiring that must be. As a former collegiate athlete, I had always been extremely active and always around athletes but now not so much. It would be nice to try and make friends that could inspire me to try new activities to broaden the ways I can burn some extra calories.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    This seems like a humble brag. What does it matter if I’m more active than others around me? My fitness and health are just for me and to ensure I’m healthy for my family.

I think it is useful to see if those who are successful have people around them that are active and successful, or if they are the oddball in their social group, or somewhere in between.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    I would say, yes I am the most active person I know in my own personal circle. Huh, never thought about it.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    As far as intentional exercise, yes. By far.
    (Not friends/family with any athletes, marathoners, etc.)

But I know so many people that are just generally more active, as in they can’t sit still at all, always have projects/housework, go for long walks/hikes etc.

Aside from about 450-500 minutes of workouts per week, I’m relatively inactive.

Not sure if that answers the question 🤪
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member

I was thinking the same thing.

Or, more precisely, I was thinking that if you're the active person you know, your friends are probably just pretty sedentary.

My activity level matches what the OP said hers is, if not higher. I'm by *far* not the most active person I know. I have friends who are professional runners and running coaches, highly trained swimmers, and fitness instructors. They could smoke my *kitten* any day of the week.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    PennyP312 wrote: »
    As far as intentional exercise, yes. By far.
    (Not friends/family with any athletes, marathoners, etc.)

But I know so many people that are just generally more active, as in they can’t sit still at all, always have projects/housework, go for long walks/hikes etc.

Aside from about 450-500 minutes of workouts per week, I’m relatively inactive.

Not sure if that answers the question 🤪

I'm the exact opposite. I do zero intentional exercise, but I'm generally keeping active. On average I get about 15-20k steps per day.
  • WinoGelato wrote: »

Or, more precisely, I was thinking that if you're the active person you know, your friends are probably just pretty sedentary.

My activity level matches what the OP said hers is, if not higher. I'm by *far* not the most active person I know. I have friends who are professional runners and running coaches, highly trained swimmers, and fitness instructors. They could smoke my *kitten* any day of the week.

I wish it wasn't the case. Most of my friends are pretty active with hobbies (skating, snowboarding etc) my family is mostly inactive except a few of the cousins in thier 20s. I'm the only person I currently hang out with who has both active hobbies and a workout regimen.

I have acquaintances that are my level or higher (a few much higher) but no one in my immediate social circle. It kinda sucks actually, wasn't bragging at all.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    No. I'm at a similar level to most of my female friends - although a few are very inactive. I think I only have 1 close female friend who is far more active (she's a fitness trainer and does roller derby).

Many of my male friends do Crossfit several times per week. My husband is a lot more active than I am because he does most of the activities I do in addition to daily cycling & more.

Kind of off-topic, but 12 years ago when I first started walking/hiking a lot, I was easily the most active of my friends although I was WAY more obese than any of them.
  • NorcoRyder
    NorcoRyder Posts: 6 Member
    I’m generally the most active by a long shot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Not really...I'm probably pretty on par with most of my circle of friends though most of us don't "workout" more than a couple days per week...we're just active people. I live in a state that has beautiful weather most of the year and a plethora of outdoor activities to engage in. cycling, mountain biking, hiking, skiing (downhill and cross country), rock climbing, swimming, walking, etc. Myself, my wife and kids, and my circle of friends and family all engage in these activities on the regular.

The most active people I know are my and my wife's trainer and her husband. They own the gym and are both trainers. The husband is a retired professional BMX racer and still competes for fun and also competes in power lifting. His wife is a competitive multi discipline cyclist...and obviously they are active in their jobs.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

I wish it wasn't the case. Most of my friends are pretty active with hobbies (skating, snowboarding etc) my family is mostly inactive except a few of the cousins in thier 20s. I'm the only person I currently hang out with who has both active hobbies and a workout regimen.

I have acquaintances that are my level or higher (a few much higher) but no one in my immediate social circle. It kinda sucks actually, wasn't bragging at all.

I honestly don't find anything especially interesting about having friends in my immediate social who are as active or more than I am. With some of them it gives us an extra thing to talk about, but most of what we talk about isn't related to the sports or physical activities we do. Even at post-rowing coffee, of the people I'm closer to, we rarely actually talk about rowing.

That said, I don't know sucks for you about not having people in your social circle who is especially active, so I could be off the mark.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,967 Member
    Compared to family, probably. My father has always been fairly fit and has generally remained active most of his life, but not a "5x/week gym go-er" either. He still cycles or is on the trainer regularly. My sister is more active in her day to day (just nature of still being in college and having horses), but does not workout or regulate her diet. She's did some sports in her undergrad, but nothing really since then other than occasionally running.

Friends - there's a mix, but of the friends I'm "closer" to, I'm the most active/dedicated in that regard, but I have my reasons and I've made them a bigger priority. I have a couple coworkers who work out regularly, but again, I'm probably spending more time in the gym than most.

I know people who are more active than me, have shown more dedication over a longer period of time, but I'm also involved in fitness groups and I know some professional athletes, both casually and 'professionally' so the bar is pretty high LOL. I'd have to be able to make a living doing my sport in order to potentially be the "most active" person I know lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    My mom, who will be 82 next month, is embarrassingly more active than I am. She maintains extensive gardens and does a lot of work on her 200+ year old house, and for intentional exercise she walks, swims (in season, which is over :(), practices yoga, and works out with a trainer.

In my defense, I have a full time desk job. When I was unemployed for a long stretch of time in 2012 I was a lot more active. Mostly at Mom's, lol.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Danp wrote: »
    Not even close. Not in a million years.

I have friends whose idea of a 'holiday' is to trail the TdF and ride the stages a week behind, others who regularly participate in running festivals and their holiday destination is dictated on which cities marathon have accepted their application, and still others who are either in the gym lifting, cooking food to help fuel their time in the gym or talking about what they did during their last gym session and what they plan for their next gym session.

I need friends like this! All of my friends idea of fun is going out to eat or doing something sedentary, lol. I wish more of my friends liked to do fun active things with me but every time I suggest something they aren't interested.