Self punishment

Good morning everyone,

I dont know if this is me but i really am tired of self punishing myself. I wake up at 5:10am every morning to get to the gym for 6:20 before work. Some days like today i am simply just so tired. I know ill go tomorrow, Friday and make myself go on the saturday as i have missed today. But i feel so so bad about me. You could also say feeling bad about not going is a motivation in itself, but its such a horrible feeling. I get this with food too. Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• ozgurvh
    ozgurvh Posts: 182 Member
    Hi Alexandra, the thing that you should have schedule that you should enjoyi motivated and compliant. If its too hard to go early, dont go in the morning then. Fitness or diet are not a punishments, just a life style. Its ok if yo dont want to workout one day if you are not meantally ready. Think about your motivation, vary workout options and changed if time to time. :)

Good morning everyone,

I dont know if this is me but i really am tired of self punishing myself. I wake up at 5:10am every morning to get to the gym for 6:20 before work. Some days like today i am simply just so tired. I know ill go tomorrow, Friday and make myself go on the saturday as i have missed today. But i feel so so bad about me. You could also say feeling bad about not going is a motivation in itself, but its such a horrible feeling. I get this with food too. Does anyone else do this?

• DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    I also agree that a counselor might benefit you. You shouldn't be punishing yourself or hating this. You need to find something that work for you. :)
  • I’m not surprised it feels like punishment. Have a rethink and create a sustainable enjoyable plan that you can stick to. It’s ok to not go to the gym. You shouldn’t be dreading it
  • I’m not surprised it feels like punishment. Have a rethink and create a sustainable enjoyable plan that you can stick to. It’s ok to not go to the gym. You shouldn’t be dreading it

If you're dreading going to the gym, you need to re-think what kind of active person you are. I can tell you that if my workouts were running and bodyweight based I would dread them, but I love cycling and lifting and actually look forward to them all day at work.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2019
    There is no rule that you must/should go to the gym every day. There IS a rule that you need adequate recovery time. Try going 3 days a week. Sounds like your body needs some recovery.
  • alexandravictoria88
    alexandravictoria88 Posts: 138 Member
    I’m not surprised it feels like punishment. Have a rethink and create a sustainable enjoyable plan that you can stick to. It’s ok to not go to the gym. You shouldn’t be dreading it

This is the thing, i love the gym when i am there, its just the before. I feel so tired! Im a morning person anyway but sometimes i just cant get up and find that motivation to go.
  • alexandravictoria88
    Dolly989 wrote: »
    I used to feel the same. If I missed a day at the gym I'd feel so guilty about it all week and I'd punish myself by working out for 2 hours instead of 1 the following day to 'make up for it.' The gym can become an obsession. I know people who are addicted to the gym, it can be as addicting as drugs and alcohol. Now I have a healthier mindset.

Try to aim for 3-4 days a week for the gym. Rest days are important. Life is about balance. It's not realistic to give 100% of your time and effort to the gym all the time. People have careers, families, and social lifes to keep up with. Keep saying positive things to yourself. "Ive been working really hard and making so much progress lately, I deserve to have a lazy day and eat the food I want. Somtimes life gets in the way and I take a week or 2 off the gym and guess what? It's not the end of the world. I didn't gain weight or lose any gains. If you don't find the right balance you could end up burning yourself out and giving up the gym altogether.

Im not putting on weight which is good, however certainly not losing it. i guess a lot of it is down to self image, never happy with my body. I work in a school with special education needs children, the job is quite physical and mentally challenging. I shouldn't use this an excuse but i think this is what the matter is, my body is just so tired. I try and go at least 4x a week. But i fail miserably. My bf is addicted to the gym so i sometimes feel the added pressure :neutral:
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited October 2019
    I’m not surprised it feels like punishment. Have a rethink and create a sustainable enjoyable plan that you can stick to. It’s ok to not go to the gym. You shouldn’t be dreading it

This is the thing, i love the gym when i am there, its just the before. I feel so tired! Im a morning person anyway but sometimes i just cant get up and find that motivation to go.

You may want to look at your sleep hygiene in that case. How many hours are your sleeping, is it "good" sleep?

After looking at sleep consider your diet, are you getting proper nutrition? Perhaps you are lacking in something, may want to see a doctor, especially if you had energy in the past and are now having issues. I was feeling tired and ignored it until the Red Cross wouldn't let me donate blood due to low iron levels. After a number of tests doctor put me on a supplement, problem solved. Don't self medicate though, see a medical professional.

Best of luck
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Do you ever just work out at home in the morning? It can save a lot of time. Maybe you could sleep a little more?
  • alexandravictoria88
    Do you ever just work out at home in the morning? It can save a lot of time. Maybe you could sleep a little more?

I have thought of this many times, but again its that negative thinking process, am i really doing a good work out at home without equipment?
  • alexandravictoria88
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

You may want to look at your sleep hygiene in that case. How many hours are your sleeping, is it "good" sleep?

After looking at sleep consider your diet, are you getting proper nutrition? Perhaps you are lacking in something, may want to see a doctor, especially if you had energy in the past and are now having issues. I was feeling tired and ignored it until the Red Cross wouldn't let me donate blood due to low iron levels. After a number of tests doctor put me on a supplement, problem solved. Don't self medicate though, see a medical professional.

Best of luck

Thank you for all the suggestions. Ive had blood tests and they have all come out fine. My vitamin D tends to drop quite low especially living in the UK. i try to sleep 8 hours however i am a light sleeper and wake up frequently but get back to sleep.
  • spraytanninghelens
    spraytanninghelens Posts: 92 Member
    I can relate to that feeling too. I think I’m honestly a little addicted to the feeling that exercise gives me. It sets me up for the rest of the day so I force myself to get it done in the mornings, but like yourself sometimes I just feel exhausted.
    I’ve lowered my workout plan to 3 maybe 4 times a week now and tried not to be too hard on myself.
    Rest days are just as important.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member

I have thought of this many times, but again its that negative thinking process, am i really doing a good work out at home without equipment?

You could use equipment at home. I have a step, dumbbells, pull up bar. You don't have to go to the gym to get a good workout. Equipment does not equal good workout. I can go outside and run, is that not a good workout? I can use my step and dumbbells and do a video by The Firm or do a kickboxing video which needs no equipment. I get a good workout every morning at home before work. I use the weight room 2-3x/wk after work to get in my strength training. But none of this is for punishment. It is for cardiovascular fitness, strength, aesthetics, to boost self esteem, etc.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    You have a job that is emotionally challenging, tbh it sounds like it all might be a bit much.

Do you have to go in the morning? Would it be possible to go in the early evening, that way you get a bit more sleep and get to re-set between work and home.

I would also suggest looking at different work outs that might feel more restorative. Yoga or swimming for example.

The only thing I can do in the mornings is swim or run, repetitive, meditative actions. It's worth doing and sets me up, but I don't have the mental capacity at 6am for classes or anything that requires thought!