World Mental Health Day

Options
Just_Mel_
Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
Does anyone want to discuss mental health awareness?
I mean, we talk about all the physical health issues on here. Why can't we chat about depression and crippling anxiety?

Replies

• pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    Im Standing in the Depression and anxiety line. Then I will go over to the emotional eater line.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Oh emotional eating is a thing for sure.
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that the worse that I eat and less I get in the gym the more my mind does awful things. Those Oreos may look and taste delicious, but then they tell me that I am a failure and then I feel bad and then I eat more *kitten* Oreos.
    Mental health is a big factor in physical health and too many people ignore it. It seems more socially acceptable to say "I am morbidly obese" than to say "I have depression", What is up with that?
  • LiftingSpirits
    Options
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    I have noticed that the worse that I eat and less I get in the gym the more my mind does awful things. Those Oreos may look and taste delicious, but then they tell me that I am a failure and then I feel bad and then I eat more *kitten* Oreos.
    Mental health is a big factor in physical health and too many people ignore it. It seems more socially acceptable to say "I am morbidly obese" than to say "I have depression", What is up with that?

Maybe not as much now as in prior years, but I think it's difficult to say something like that due to fear of social stigma and also making a claim to something that can't be seen.

I dunno, I could talk at length about my experiences with depression and (for me) its sidecar of anxiety, but I feel like I'm still struggling to figure out precisely how it's affecting me and what I can do to combat it already. I certainly don't feel like an expert on it.

That, and the fact that when it gets bad for me, I think there's pretty much nothing anybody could ever say to "snap" me out of it. Or maybe even "help" in the definition of make-me-feel-better. But at the same time, silence is deafening when you already feel very alone. When I see someone acting in ways that I recognize, I'll usually try to reach out just to make them feel seen...but I still never know what to say. I wouldn't know what to say to ME, let alone someone else? So that's one of the reasons I don't often speak about it.

That makes sense. I bottle things up a lot and figure they will just pass. I try to do things that take my mind off of it, but it doesn't always work. I don't want to reach out and beg for attention, but I also don't want to be left alone because I already feel vulnerable. Sometimes when I feel my worst is when I decide to reach out to other people to check on them because I know that a smile does NOT mean that everything is okay and sometimes the "strong" ones aren't at all and are also the people who are less likely to admit when things are bad.
  • LiftingSpirits
    Options
    I am glad to see that famous people are starting to share their stories. The people who don't suffer from mental health issues (and even some that do) think that your life has to be an absolute *kitten* show in order to be depressed. That just isn't true. People who are rich and famous and APPEAR to have it all can be suffering too. I think it empowers people when they realize that it isn't just them, they aren't alone in their struggles.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Almost all of my immediate family members save 2 suffer from depression. I grew up in a very depressive environment. Everyone was always crying. It was very toxic.

As a teen and adult, I suffered from Seasonal affective disorder at times and went through a couple spells of major depression, but they were due to situations I was in. My last relationship with a narcissist, for example, had me at my lowest point ever. I do feel there is still a lot of hesitance for people to talk about it although probably not as much as before.

I know in my family, the men especially never will seek help, EVER. A lot of people are in denial. But, when you do want help, it is not easy to get. When my sister needed therapy, it was very difficult to find a therapist even with good insurance. There is a shortage and many were not accepting new patients. I had this same problem in the past. My old therapist was so hard to get in with and it was an hour’s drive away. This was in a major city too, where you would think resources would be more abundant.

I actually don’t think medication is the answer for most people. Healing is about mindset a lot of the times. I actually had to stop talking to some family members because they are so negative and detrimental to my growth and healing. I am extremely happy with life now.

As someone who has survived through that, I really feel for people struggling with these things. In the ER, I see many suicide attempts, some successful, even in kids.....which is the worst part.

I do feel that since more people are talking about suicide, that is it becoming more common. I have noticed when there is a celebrity who commits suicide, that we get a flurry of attempts to the ER the next few days.

It also seems that many people aren’t taught coping mechanisms as children. Our society is all about never criticizing anyone, everyone being a winner, etc. I feel this is unhealthy. People are too thin skinned and PC. That is part of the problem. Someone calls you fat and you’re ready to jump off a bridge and end your life. Not ok. I know it is not this simple, but just something I have noticed.

Sorry so long. I wanted to say a lot more but that’s it for now.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    One year I was depressed and someone told me not to be sad anymore.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    While I've found that I can talk about it without quite as much stigma, it's still something I don't talk about with many others, especially IRL, because the few times I've tried, things become awkward. Following up with me asking if things are getting better is sort of nice I guess in the way that it's nice they care, but when you're in the black hole that's inside the neverending chasm of emptiness and stuck there, it's really hard to relate, and feeling like I'm being an Eeyore and bringing my black raincloud over everyone doesn't help me or them feel better. And shoot, even with the people I talk to about having mental illness, I don't go into much detail -- my mind tends to be a creatively terrifying place when I'm any more than knee-deep in the struggle. The few times I've talked about my anxiety has only seemed to make people worried about talking about stuff with me (primarily food/social anxiety for me), so I don't really talk much about that anymore.

A few of the people in my life are more understanding and insightful and can tell if I'm going down the worst roads in my mind, and they check in and ask me what I need at the moment (not how I am, unless it's to check on my "IDGAF index", which is the indicator of what level of care/intervention I need at the moment). The caveat of this is I'm not sure what to tell them, and sometimes truly don't know what I need. For instance, isolation helps me in some ways, yet it's supposed to be avoided/minimalized when going through the worst times. Or I'll be in an especially apathetic mood and brush them off or minimalize it, and they'll often be none the wiser for it. I don't really have anyone in my regular life who is willing to be a true cheerleader/coach, so yeah... sticking to the professional treatment methods for the most part, and attempting to float along for the rest of it.

Not sure if this was coherently written or not, but I guess it's what I've come up with for the topic.
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see that famous people are starting to share their stories. The people who don't suffer from mental health issues (and even some that do) think that your life has to be an absolute *kitten* show in order to be depressed. That just isn't true. People who are rich and famous and APPEAR to have it all can be suffering too. I think it empowers people when they realize that it isn't just them, they aren't alone in their struggles.

well there’s situational depression and then there’s chemically depressed, like when life’s a *kitten* show and u sad about it or the sun is shining and youre with people u love and u still sad about it

for whatever reason, i am a sad person. idk if it’s some of the things that happened to me or some way i *kitten* up my brain with drugs, but if it weren’t for my kids i would’ve killed myself by now, no doubt.

^^ and if i say things like that irl people will tell me “yOu ShOulD tAlK tO sOmEbOdy”, as if i haven’t gone to therapy, learned coping mechanisms, tried pills, everything. like i realize dark thoughts are not good

i have friends who struggle too and their empathy and shoulder to lean on helps more than therapy ever did, but like @Cowsfan1 said, i dont want to wear people out. so sometimes i just act like i all better and give everyone a break

Yeah, it's difficult to find the line between "looking out for others" and "self care". It's easy to talk about it but after you've let some people in and seen how letting them in eventually tears them up, there's a part of you that just starts saying "Hey--trust me, you don't want a part of this. I like you, and you don't deserve this" so you end up bottling everything, knowing full well it's "not healthy" either but what can you do?

The whole thing is poop. Depression, anxiety, it's just no good (and you can quote me on that)
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options

well there’s situational depression and then there’s chemically depressed, like when life’s a *kitten* show and u sad about it or the sun is shining and youre with people u love and u still sad about it

for whatever reason, i am a sad person. idk if it’s some of the things that happened to me or some way i *kitten* up my brain with drugs, but if it weren’t for my kids i would’ve killed myself by now, no doubt.

^^ and if i say things like that irl people will tell me “yOu ShOulD tAlK tO sOmEbOdy”, as if i haven’t gone to therapy, learned coping mechanisms, tried pills, everything. like i realize dark thoughts are not good

i have friends who struggle too and their empathy and shoulder to lean on helps more than therapy ever did, but like @Cowsfan1 said, i dont want to wear people out. so sometimes i just act like i all better and give everyone a break

Yeah, it's difficult to find the line between "looking out for others" and "self care". It's easy to talk about it but after you've let some people in and seen how letting them in eventually tears them up, there's a part of you that just starts saying "Hey--trust me, you don't want a part of this. I like you, and you don't deserve this" so you end up bottling everything, knowing full well it's "not healthy" either but what can you do?

The whole thing is poop. Depression, anxiety, it's just no good (and you can quote me on that)

You said I could. So I did
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »

You said I could. So I did

You....seem to have won, heh.