Keto

Replies

• Hotelsma
    Hotelsma Posts: 404 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Hey guys! I'm a newbie to the Keto lifestyle. What are some basic tips and advice that you would pass on so this way I can be on the right path.
    No carbs, include nuts. Eat more veg and drink plenty of water. No sugar or sweets, these are just basics

Nuts and vegetables have carbs.

I would agree with the advice to eat mostly veg as your source of carbs, and that nuts are another good food with carbs to eat, but I disagree with "no carbs."

Plenty of keto-ers seem to make keto sweets with artificial sweeteners.

Artificial sweeteners I think are based on individuals. I heard many people being kicked out of ketosis by having sweeteners but I’ve drank Diet Coke plenty of times and stayed in keto. It’s all trial and error based on your on physiology.
  • sugarismyweakness
    sugarismyweakness Posts: 30 Member
    @Hotelsma The whole artificial sweetener thing is to do with how your body reacts to the sweetener. A lot of your cheap and cheerful sweeteners make your body spike like it would if you had sugar, but depending on how you're doing it, one can of Diet Coke is not going to kick you out of ketosis. 5 across a day might though.

Realistically, if you were to have even a small slice of normal cake while following the keto diet, you probably wouldn't be kicked out of ketosis, but if you had that every day, you might have an issue. Problem is, the sugar reaction sparks a desire to then have more sugar. You have to have some serious willpower to stop it (I do not have this, hence my name on here!)

Some artificial sweeteners will cause that same reaction, so it's easier to say certain sweeteners are best avoided in Keto than to say a little bit might be ok...
  • Hotelsma
    @sugarismyweakness spot on, I wouldn’t really venture for more than one can if I needed it. Your right about the small slice of cake but thing is I don’t believe in small slice, what’s that??? Lol, all in or nothing 😀 I understand, sugar is my kryptonite too.
  • sugarismyweakness
    @Hotelsma Absolutely, it's the whole cake or nothing for me! Going on my constant weight issue, obviously I don't often opt for the 'nothing' option! ;)

But what you're saying about the sweeteners being based on physiology, I don't necessarily agree. I'd say it's more based on the willpower of the individual to know that anymore than the one can/one slice etc is not ok and to not have any more of the spiking sweeteners/sugars throughout the rest of that day.
  • Hotelsma
    edited October 2019
    @sugarismyweakness ah man all this cake talk right now is killing me. All I can picture is a massive *kitten* carrot cake 😂

What I meant about physiology is based only on just one can. Obviously smashing thru a pack of biscuits ain’t guna help but I’ve seen some people break out of keto over one can and others remain.

By the way have you seen all the dessert recipes that are keto friendly. They look good but I’m bit to sceptical and just reach for the cucumber 😕
  • sugarismyweakness
    @Hotelsma I know what you mean with the desserts, I found an amazing recipe to make a keto-friendly chocolate brownie cheesecake a while ago. Well, obviously we are not talking one slice of cheesecake, this is a whole damn thing of like 12 slices worth. When you're wanting to make dessert for one (other half does NOT follow keto!) a whole cheesecake is a tad excessive... Did it once, super tasty but obv not very good for you to eat that much keto cheesecake to yourself! Also, the ingredients for these desserts really are not that cheap. I looked into keto ice cream and the ingredients cost me a small fortune!

I have found that when I am totally craving, the keto chocolate mug cake is a very handy recipe to know... Suitable for one person, so works a dream for those cravings. But probably not to have every night... :/
  • Hotelsma
    @sugarismyweakness why did you have to bring up cheeeeesecake 😬 I could kill for one. I would try making these things but I’m lazy as hell and for some reason I’ll feel guilty and I’d just wait to give myself a proper treat after couple of months.
  • manlyhooduk
    manlyhooduk Posts: 19 Member
    Hey guys! I'm a newbie to the Keto lifestyle. What are some basic tips and advice that you would pass on so this way I can be on the right path.
    No carbs, include nuts. Eat more veg and drink plenty of water. No sugar or sweets, these are just basics

I would agree with the advice to eat mostly veg as your source of carbs, and that nuts are another good food with carbs to eat, but I disagree with "no carbs."

Hi you are right , but I was talking about the carbs such as rice, potatoes, bread etc
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited October 2019

Hi you are right , but I was talking about the carbs such as rice, potatoes, bread etc

I think it's confusing to call those "carbs," especially as they are often paired with fat and because plenty of other foods have just as many carbs by percentage. I tend to refer to them as starches or starchy sides.

When you say "no carbs" or "avoid all carbs" in a thread about keto, I worry that someone might get the idea that aiming for 0 carbs (as in the macro) is a good idea.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I agree you're making brownies for yourself (one/eighth is 9 carbs). I can't stand that kind of temptation. I'll know when I make my chocolate chip cookies tomorrow night.
  • Hotelsma
    I agree you're making brownies for yourself (one/eighth is 9 carbs). I can't stand that kind of temptation. I'll know when I make my chocolate chip cookies tomorrow night.

Party at Candy’s, I’ll bring the almond milk 🍪
  • vkrenz
    vkrenz Posts: 183 Member
    I am new to the keto diet type of eating. I am finding it very difficult to stay below 30 g of carbs per day. I can only maintain that for 2 days straight and then I'm back up to 50 carbs. My question is that how do you know if you're in ketosis?
  • Hotelsma
    vkrenz wrote: »
    I am new to the keto diet type of eating. I am finding it very difficult to stay below 30 g of carbs per day. I can only maintain that for 2 days straight and then I'm back up to 50 carbs. My question is that how do you know if you're in ketosis?

You can test by using keto sticks. You can get them from your local chemist. You just P in them.

What’s your typical diet like. If your eating right veg you could easily stay below 50g
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    vkrenz wrote: »

Are you trying for 30 g net (carbs minus fiber) or 30 g total? I could not get in what I consider a sufficient amount and variety of non starchy vegetables with 30 g total most days, but 30 g net is easier.

Ketosis itself does not matter, though -- the benefit of very low carb for dieting that some experience (such as appetite control) is not reliant on ketosis.
  • 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,875 Member
    I am on day 6 of keto. Have dropped 6 pounds so far but I'm not sure I am doing it right. I have cut out all processed sugar and starchy sides. Mostly my diet consists of coffee with cream in the morning, some kind of high fat breakfast like eggs and bacon. Lunch today was cashew chicken, but looking at all the veggies I put in it, wasn't the best decision. Tonight my son is making rib eye tacos with pineapple salsa, black beans and cilantro lime rice. It'll be tough turning down everything except the rib eye. I plan to make a fat-filled side instead. My question (after all of the menu stuff above LOL) is what does your "typical" day look like, as far as your menu. And what are your favorite go-to's? TIA!
  • LRLemon
    LRLemon Posts: 51 Member
    edited October 2019
    Over the past 16 months transitioned from a low-calorie diet (first 2 months) to <50g carbs (next 2 months) to <25g carbs (last 12 months). Have lost 102 lbs. In a plateau for the past 2 months so just started intermittent fasting (18-hr fast/6-hr eating window). Eating 2 meals/day. Ketosis of 1.0. The fasting boosted my ketosis from 0.4 to 1.0. Hopefully, this will break my set point. All natural foods, no sweeteners, magnesium supplement. Blood pressure normalized, A1c 5.3 (was 5.8), HDL has risen, triglycerides way down. So glad I discovered what works for my metabolism.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    As someone who regularly dabbles with the keto lifestyle, I found olives and avocados are a great way to increase natural fats.

While cooking everything in butter or adding cheese to everything is delicious, I've researched a lot and found it's good to limit the amount of animal fats (dairy, for example) you have. Obviously that's not to say you can't have it, I still have a good amount of these things, but I get my fats in by eating naturally fatty foods like nuts, olives and avocado, and also cooking in a good amount of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil.

Don't forget to drink plenty of water and keep a good level of salt intake up. I made this mistake at the start of the year, I'm not a massive fan of salt and kept forgetting to add it to my foods, but then I was regularly getting really painful cramps in my legs and stomach. So now I eat at least one pack of salted pork rinds per day (good for protein as well) and drink Knorr Stock Cubes (not sure where you're from or what they would be called elsewhere) when I feel like I need more salt. I have also taken to drinking sole water to get a good hit of salt quickly. I still don't really like salt very much, but I have found ways to incorporate it into my dietary lifestyle without disliking any of my food

Best of luck with your progress, I hope it works out for you :)

I would argue there is nothing inherently wrong with animal fats, especially if you are getting them from quality sources. In fact, diets high in dairy have been shown to be very effective. Not only does it satiate most individuals, it also is a good source of protein the case of things like cheese and yogurt.

Personally, I eat dairy and meat every day. Why? Because it satiates me more than anything else. I could literally pound macadamia, walnuts, and hazelnuts all day long, but 225g of yogurt, topped with a few raspberries will keep me going for hours. Ultimately, the individual response is what is important. So if you consume a lot of meats and dairy which helps you lose weight than great.

Also, I use sweeteners daily and they have never made me crave more foods. So again, it's an individual response. So I would suggest just monitoring it.
  • Hotelsma
    4bugsmama wrote: »
    I am on day 6 of keto. Have dropped 6 pounds so far but I'm not sure I am doing it right. I have cut out all processed sugar and starchy sides. Mostly my diet consists of coffee with cream in the morning, some kind of high fat breakfast like eggs and bacon. Lunch today was cashew chicken, but looking at all the veggies I put in it, wasn't the best decision. Tonight my son is making rib eye tacos with pineapple salsa, black beans and cilantro lime rice. It'll be tough turning down everything except the rib eye. I plan to make a fat-filled side instead. My question (after all of the menu stuff above LOL) is what does your "typical" day look like, as far as your menu. And what are your favorite go-to's? TIA!

Seems like you doing it right.

My typical diet

Breakfast - Coffee with almond milk and handful of almonds and walnuts.

Lunch - chicken salad with cheese

Dinner - Grilled Chicken/sausages, eggs Spinach with olive oil and sometimes green beans.

If I get hungry I’ll eat a pack of crisps which are not more than 12grams of carbs.
  • Hotelsma
    LRLemon wrote: »
    Over the past 16 months transitioned from a low-calorie diet (first 2 months) to <50g carbs (next 2 months) to <25g carbs (last 12 months). Have lost 102 lbs. In a plateau for the past 2 months so just started intermittent fasting (18-hr fast/6-hr eating window). Eating 2 meals/day. Ketosis of 1.0. The fasting boosted my ketosis from 0.4 to 1.0. Hopefully, this will break my set point. All natural foods, no sweeteners, magnesium supplement. Blood pressure normalized, A1c 5.3 (was 5.8), HDL has risen, triglycerides way down. So glad I discovered what works for my metabolism.

Woah, 102 lbs well down 👏🏾 very inspiring. Seems like you know your stuff too.