appearance or fitness? Women? Men?

Options
I have a question for the ladies. I recently asked a question on here about whether or not I should change my goal. All the responses I got back from Women were centered around appearance. Almost all those comments said not to change my goal and they said, "you look good" I was surprised at that response because my thinking was never centered on reaching my goal to enhance my appearance. So my question is this; What is your goal for losing weight? Is it for appearance? And what does that mean? How do you define "appearance"? Is it just to look a certain way, or is there more to it?

Men, what about you? there were only 3 men that commented on my question and they seemed to have the same thinking I do. there comments were centered on numbers. Like which numbers are more significant than just a goal weight. They offered advice on how to reach those numbers. But they never mentioned appearance. Is appearance a main factor for you? How do you define "appearance" in this sense? If appearance isn't a main factor in your motivation, then what is?

Replies

• cheekymonkeyface
    cheekymonkeyface Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have to say, i am a woman and it was both for me...

First and most important was my fitness/health, which i have improved. Closely followed by appearance. After looking at a fat blob in reflections i had enough. I want to look in the window and like the woman looking back. 83lb down and i'm starting to like her :)
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My long term goal is to have better health and if I do it correctly, my appearance (or shape) should change along with it. :happy:
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    I think for me it's a mixture of both. I definitely want to be healthy, but I'm also in a profession (opera) where appearance is extremely important. I mean, people can say what they want about that, but if you're a large opera singer, you're not really going to get cast in leading roles. I would have to say that appearance was the major motivation for me to begin, but now that I'm really researching and applying my knowledge, actually being fit instead of just "looking thin" is becoming more important.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Both! I'd love to get back to the weight I was when I met my husband nearly 20 years ago, but I don't think I'd be healthy -so I stuck and extra half stone on my target x
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    My main goal is to be healthy, but who doesn't want to look good?
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When tracking my progress or setting goals it's about numbers and achievements in that sense. But I think my overall goal is a better appearance along with improved health. Not sure if that makes sense.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    For me it was appearance. But I was already healthy prior to starting my loss. My 17 lbs are vanity pounds for sure.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Go for fitness. Aesthetics will come naturally after it; it's unavoidable. =)
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It's totally appearance for me...maybe some numbers in there somewhere. I used to be slender, then I gained a stomach. I don't know how many numbers I gained, just that I gained a tomach, so I made some pie in the ky number up and began my weight loss, but what I actually want is to loose the tummy and be slender again. Secondary I want to be able to change my wedding dress size from a 16...what the hell is with wedding dress sizes anyway? I'm a UK 8-10, but no, my wedding dress is 16 and my wedding bolero is 18! Changing those numbers would be great...
  • amandakoorime
    Options
    I'm doing this all by the way I feel. I know I am overweight and I don't like it. I never have and I doubt I ever will.
    My appearance is a factor in this because I see the way people look at me and I don't like it. I also have Major Depression and much of that is based on the way I look. I don't like being this way and I want to change it.
    The numbers come into effect very little with me. I've been told by my doctor many times that considering my weight, I am healthy. I'm hitting all the right ranges and everything. But I know that it going to change. Sooner or later this weight is going to turn for the worse and I'm gonna be unhealthy.

As for defining appearance, I guess it's all about the way I feel. I want to feel good about the way I look. I want to be able to look into a mirror and love what I see. I also want to be able to walk into any clothes store grab any shirt off the rack and be able to fit into it. That is how I define it. And I guess that really is my main factor in my motivation. I want to feel comfortable in my own skin.

4702376.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    So my question is this;

What is your goal for losing weight? my goal was to gain so that muscle would be able to have better definition - check

Is it for appearance? in a way, yes, since I am doing my first bikini competition. I would be lying if I said otherwise.

And what does that mean? tone, fit, defined muscles, tight rump, calves and legs, stronger looking back and arms as well as abs

How do you define "appearance"? see above

Is it just to look a certain way, or is there more to it? it is to be in shape for my upcoming competition and be happy with myself for all the hardwork and dedication it took me to get here and the confidence I will gain

Overall answer - fitness AND appearance for me.
  • limex
    limex Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I will admit to being vain. My goal is purely appearance. But I agree with ukhennin in that when tracking my progress, I'm tracking numbers, which may not exactly correspond to how I look.
  • jimmychoo2shoes
    Options
    Mine started out as appearance. I wanted to appear fit. And since I don't know anyone who appears fit who actually isn't fit, I assumed I would need to get fit in order to appear fit. Now that I've started cleaning up my diet and working out, I am more excited by fitness achievements, such as how many push ups I can do. But, they go hand in hand. I mean, I would be somewhat disappointed if I was able to lift more but continued to see no improvement in muscle definition.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    lets see if i can answer you question correctly LOL... Ok when i looked at your before and after first thought that came to mind was "WOW you look amazing" to me appearance is a big sign that someone is in good physical shape..ya? you are tall and lean so I would think you are making good food choice and getting enough exercise. That doesn't mean you should be working out just to look good though. In my personal case I work out to feel good and know that my body is healthy and strong... (knowing my body is looking good is an added bonus)

I didn't see your first post... so I'm not sure what your original goal was,or why you would want to change it. If i were to give you my personal opinion on a new goal it would be to start focusing on building muscle. Muscle is very important in achieving a healthy body. It helps to support your body to keep it strong and balanced, and helps you to burn those calories,even on days when your not training... again the outcome of a tight toned looking body is an added bonus :-)

Idk if this helped at all.. let me know if I didn't understand your question.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Well for me it's about self confidence. So in an essence I suppose it is about how I look. However, it's more more about how I look to myself, rather than to others. I could care less what others think for the most part. That being said, I also am in it for health reasons. I am 38 yrs. old and taking BP medicine because I am over weight.
  • waterlilly998
    Options
    I started out for appearance, years after the fact its about fitness and how I feel. About knowing my body is strong enough to do whatever I choose. Appearance comes with being fit. So I would say it has to be both, they go hand in hand.
  • rebbecarose
    Options
    I am at a healthy weight and I am not weak by any means but I still want to lose the weight I've gained since getting married. I dislike the rounder appearance of my hips and I miss having more defined abs. On the other side I miss the energy and since of accomplishment that comes from regular exercise so I guess it's definitely both for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Fitness. If that's your goal then you'll end up looking good anyway.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My main goal was vanity, I'll admit it. I had no health problem from my obesity, just the looming possibility of "maybe some day I could get unhealthy because of this weight".

I wanted to be skinny and pretty, and celebrity-like in appearance.

That was then.

Now, I realize that health is so important! And even though I didn't have any health problems, I was definately out of shape. Now I can run, I can jump, I can stretch, I can move!!! And it feels great.

Also, I have come to terms with the fact that most people (myself included) don't have the body type to be celebrity skinny.

I've learned to love my curves!

So yeah, it started off with "appearance only" and has merged into "health mostly" but lately I've been back to focusing a bit on vanity, because I'm at a healthy weight but want to get a bit more toned and lose a couple of more pounds.

So it's a mix for me!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No one sees the numbers but you. Everyone sees your appearance. Now I'd value fitness and health over appearance but no, appearance over numbers for sure.