Destinations

Options
cdubks88
cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
edited October 2019 in Chit-Chat
I'm looking for destinations to plan a trip. Probably will be sometime later next year (not sure exactly when) but have several places I've been thinking of for a lot of different reasons.

Not really looking for a typical "go to the beach" kind of outing. It's not really our thing. Looking more for historical, cool night life/music, shop local kind of places.

I've thought of places like:

Boston (she's been, I haven't)
Savannah GA or Carolinas (just always thought that would be a super cool port city with a lot of history and things to do, but neither of us have been to the E/SE)
Montana
Vermont/NH

We've both been to the west coast several times. She's been NW. Also lots of trips to CO (one of our favorites).

Would love the feedback and why you recommend it.

Thanks!
Β«1

Replies

• Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    Austin is a cool place - great music scene
  • cdubks88
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Cowsfan1 wrote: Β»
    Austin is a cool place - great music scene

Drove through in college but didn't stop as we were heading to Padre, which pisses me off in hindsight because duh, Austin City Limits and I'm an idiot..... πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

Thanks homie!
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I'm a Bostonian.😎...and your gang would love it here...lots to do and see...exactly what you're looking for from your requirements I think....historical...lots of great new areas to walk and eat and browse and listen to music.....the around Fenway Park is brand new and even the Wharf area near Faneuil Hall Marketplace is all new.... it's always changing for the better...it's really close to NH which is gorgeous if you want to split the trip...I actually go summer and winter there so if you have any questions on either give me a holler hun!!

Um I'm really not a paid representative from their tourism office....I just think you'd dig itπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘ŠπŸ˜‰πŸ€£

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. What about the rest of the world? When I think about going somewhere it usually is out of my country. I do have an interesting country but I think back to Greece is next. I'm from Australia. Lets go to Vietnam? See you there? Food is good :)
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Jamestown, New York. It is the birthplace of Lucille Ball. There are two museums there that are her legacy, if not vision. One is a museum dedicated to her and Desi Arnaz, their lives and careers. The other is a terrific and very interactive place called The National Comedy Center. I visited both in September and had a great time. Lucy is buried in Jamestown. I didn't realize that until after I got home. Lake Erie is a half hour or so away, but I didn't make the drive that way.
  • cdubks88
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: Β»
    I don't get it. What about the rest of the world? When I think about going somewhere it usually is out of my country. I do have an interesting country but I think back to Greece is next. I'm from Australia. Lets go to Vietnam? See you there? Food is good :)

I would love to. Sorry, I forgot to mention cost. It unfortunately is a consideration and for this trip would be too much.

Santorini is my pie-in-the-sky trip. Probably won't happen, but a guy can dream, right? πŸ˜€
  • cdubks88
    Options
    I'm a Bostonian.😎...and your gang would love it here...lots to do and see...exactly what you're looking for from your requirements I think....historical...lots of great new areas to walk and eat and browse and listen to music.....the around Fenway Park is brand new and even the Wharf area near Faneuil Hall Marketplace is all new.... it's always changing for the better...it's really close to NH which is gorgeous if you want to split the trip...I actually go summer and winter there so if you have any questions on either give me a holler hun!!

Um I'm really not a paid representative from their tourism office....I just think you'd dig itπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘ŠπŸ˜‰πŸ€£

I know I would. It's the placeholder for me and has been for a lot of years. Bucket list for me.... 😁
  • mockchoc
    Options
    OMG! I did go to Santorini on my honeymoon which is why I want to get back to Greece. So beautiful! Don't worry, one day you will if you want it to happen. I saved enough as a teenager just from babysitting to get to Europe so it can be done. You'll get there! Put your pennies away and it'll all add up. Big hugs.
  • cdubks88
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: Β»
    OMG! I did go to Santorini on my honeymoon which is why I want to get back to Greece. So beautiful! Don't worry, one day you will if you want it to happen. I saved enough as a teenager just from babysitting to get to Europe so it can be done. You'll get there! Put your pennies away and it'll all add up. Big hugs.

Glad to hear Santorini is all I expect it will be. 😁

Going to be awhile, but I do want to go there!
  • mockchoc
    Options
    Yes do it! So romantic. I rode a donkey up from the bottom! We went to the volcanic island. Caldera. I haven't made it to USA yet so guess I should read all your notes too.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Did you go thru New Mexico? Albuquerque balloon fest is going on now, so same time next year. Santa Fe, Sandia mountains, Taos all in one trip.
  • Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Because you mentioned you're looking for historical, St. Augustine is the oldest city in the US and I always enjoyed visiting there when I lived in Florida.
  • cdubks88
    Options
    Did you go thru New Mexico? Albuquerque balloon fest is going on now, so same time next year. Santa Fe, Sandia mountains, Taos all in one trip.

Have friends in Albuquerque but never been. Heard lots good things about NM....
  • cdubks88
    Options
    Because you mentioned you're looking for historical, St. Augustine is the oldest city in the US and I always enjoyed visiting there when I lived in Florida.

I've been to Pensacola, but that's as far E/SE I've made it. That part of FL is an interesting thought. Thanks!
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Charleston, SC is great, hubby and I took a long weekend there a couple years ago. We're taking a short trip to Chicago in December, it will be my first time and sometime next year we're taking all our kids for a long weekend in New Orleans.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    cdubks88 wrote: Β»

I agree about NM and also highly recommend heading up into the Moab, Utah area. Canyonlands and The Arches National Parks are two of my favorites and very close to one another. Gorgeous.

We also love CO, but once in awhile I've gotta get out to UT and NM!
  • cdubks88
    Options
    cdubks88 wrote: Β»

I agree about NM and also highly recommend heading up into the Moab, Utah area. Canyonlands and The Arches National Parks are two of my favorites and very close to one another. Gorgeous.

We also love CO, but once in awhile I've gotta get out to UT and NM!

Good to know. Have friends who go to different parts of Utah but hadn't thought about that. Definitely heard of Moab. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    2011-0507-09-ball-of-twine.jpg
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Boston is high on the list.

If you're looking for history, it's a must.

Stay in the Back Bay and walk everywhere.
  • lacwest6605
    lacwest6605 Posts: 6,922 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    New Orleans!