Useless Fact of the Day

1144145146147148150»

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    IV Is The Roman Numeral designation for 4 everywhere. However, on the clock face, 4 is displayed as “IIII”.

I've seen it IV also.
  • cee134
    11 weeks until next decade.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    cee134 wrote: »

The new decade could also be one year and eleven weeks away depending on who you ask. If you ask me, don't! I'm at the age where I'm in no rush to get through them 😉 I'm content to count down to year's end if it's all the same 😆
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member

The new decade could also be one year and eleven weeks away depending on who you ask. If you ask me, don't! I'm at the age where I'm in no rush to get through them 😉 I'm content to count down to year's end if it's all the same 😆

0 vs. 1 origins. Do I sense a movie plot? No.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    Atari, the computer game company, was founded by Go players. An immediate threat to capture in Go is called "atari" in Japanese, and is the origin of the name.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    edited October 2019
    s131951 wrote: »

😂 No, I've just gotten wrapped up in such conversations during previous decade changes, especially the changeover between centuries. Boy, Y2K was much ado about little or nothing. About the only thing that happened to me was a computer game I used at the time revertinf to 1900, lol. I think I watched or listened to 10 maybe 12 countdowns that New Year's Eve day before counting down our own. It was something most of us won't ever see again.
  • cee134

😂 No, I've just gotten wrapped up in such conversations during previous decade changes, especially the changeover between centuries. Boy, Y2K was much ado about little or nothing. About the only thing that happened to me was a computer game I used at the time revertinf to 1900, lol. I think I watched or listened to 10 maybe 12 countdowns that New Year's Eve day before counting down our own. It was something most of us won't ever see again.

I think that only applies to 0 and not a number like 20 or 2000 (or 2020).

The question you have to ask yourself is do you consider someone who is 20 in their 20's?
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member

I think that only applies to 0 and not a number like 20 or 2000 (or 2020).

The question you have to ask yourself is do you consider someone who is 20 in their 20's?

or tenteen?
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    The mask Michael Myers wore was actually a William Shatner mask that was painted white, with the hair spray painted a darker brown and the eyes enlarged.
  • cee134
    You can't live in an abandoned house.
  • cee134
    You can kill time by looking for a way to kill time.
  • SgtMaC42
    SgtMaC42 Posts: 16 Member
    The sky is not blue because it reflects the ocean. The sky is blue because air particles scatter more blue light than red light. "What about sunrise and sunset?" Because the suns light is focused on a much narrow portion of the earth (depending on viewer vantage point of course) more light is filtered through less air particles allowing the red light spectrum to be seen.
  • fatmanthinuk
    fatmanthinuk Posts: 44 Member
    SgtMaC42 wrote: »
    The sky is not blue because it reflects the ocean. The sky is blue because air particles scatter more blue light than red light. "What about sunrise and sunset?" Because the suns light is focused on a much narrow portion of the earth (depending on viewer vantage point of course) more light is filtered through less air particles allowing the red light spectrum to be seen.

Useless for most - but I found rather educational!! Cheers

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    If the axiom of choice is true, one can cut up a solid ball into 5 bits; reassemble that parts; and end up with 2 balls the same size and shape as the original. It's known as the Banach Tarski Paradox, giving rise to my favourite joke.
    drmwc wrote: »
    What is an anagram of the Banach Tarski Paradox?

The Banach Banach Tarski Tarski Paradox Paradox.
  • Soon2BSuper
    Soon2BSuper Posts: 1,767 Member
    My cat's breath smells like cat food!
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    In the time it takes to play the song I'm Gonna Be by The Proclaimers ("But I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more..."), the International Space Station travels about 1,000 miles.