Cals vs Carbs

Options

Replies

• koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I eat everything I want and definitely don't cut out carbs - I love them. They are calorie expensive though so on carborific days I do extra exercise. There was a while I did some carb cycling with my training which was interesting but as others have mentioned, it's about a calorie deficit and you can boost your daily budget with exercise. For me it's about portion control and supplementing with exercise that allows me to still eat all the types of food I like, even though I definitely don't eat it in the same quantities that I used to. I think my stomach has shrunk though because I do fill up more quickly these days given how big my portions used to be ...
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I personally think that a very restrictive diet with a painful entry is almost certain to fail in the long run. I find a small deficit easy to maintain over time. I make sure i eat enough protein and left everything else fall into place. who wants to be 'cheating' to share a meal with their spouse involving wine etc. a lifestyle that i can sustain in the long term will give me long term results. a restrictive diet will simply result in rebound overeating and throwing in the towel
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I guess i need to get out of the habit of focusing on carbs first. About a year ago my blood pressure was quite high. I did a dirty keto version and lost 15lbs and cut out all the junk food and my next dr. visit my blood pressure was good. The time after that, after falling off track again, it was back up. and has been up ever since. He started me on half a water pill per day, and last night was told it wasnt working so he started me on a low dose of actual blood pressure medication. I KNOW if i can get a handle on this and stick to it and fight past the sugar crashes and lose some damn weight it will go back down again on its own!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I guess i need to get out of the habit of focusing on carbs first. About a year ago my blood pressure was quite high. I did a dirty keto version and lost 15lbs and cut out all the junk food and my next dr. visit my blood pressure was good. The time after that, after falling off track again, it was back up. and has been up ever since. He started me on half a water pill per day, and last night was told it wasnt working so he started me on a low dose of actual blood pressure medication. I KNOW if i can get a handle on this and stick to it and fight past the sugar crashes and lose some damn weight it will go back down again on its own!

You can go to your settings and take carbohydrates off the "nutrients tracked" list so you're no longer seeing them in the default view. Hiding your carb intake may help stop the unnecessary focus on carbs.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    Thats true! I wish you could change your calorie amount to instead of using the typical 1200 they give you. It doesnt seem like enough to me without causing a big drop or change in food at once instead of easing into it and not being hungry at the end of the night. Or going over and feeling like you failed for the day.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Thats true! I wish you could change your calorie amount to instead of using the typical 1200 they give you. It doesnt seem like enough to me without causing a big drop or change in food at once instead of easing into it and not being hungry at the end of the night. Or going over and feeling like you failed for the day.

It only gives you 1200 because of the settings you chose. How much weight in total do you need to lose and how many pounds per week did you set yourself to? If you go slower, you can eat more. If you chose 2 lbs per week, that is really only practical for larger folks with a lot of weight to lose.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

MFP gives you the ability to enter a custom calorie amount. You don't have to use their numbers. But the numbers they give you are based on the information that you give it. You told MFP how much you wanted to lose and how active you were, and it gave you that goal based on your stats. You are also supposed to eat back your exercise calories in addition to it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Food is food. It isn't bad or good. You eat too much of it you gain weight. It's as simple as that. Individual foods can't cause weight gain without the context of what else and how much you eat of all foods over a period of time. High calorie foods are not bad, they just need to be more carefully considered to fit into your calorie budget.

Individual foods also can't cause nutrient intake issues without the context of what else and how much you eat of all foods over a period of time. Foods that are less nutrient dense are not bad, they just need to be balanced by more nutritious foods.

I personally don't cut carbs because I'm not diabetic and don't ban anything because it's unnecessary for me. I have lost 140 lbs and maintaining doing it that way, eating all kinds of carbs. For example, today I had a meal that had fish (protein+a little fat), roasted and fresh vegetables (fiber+carbs+a little fat), lentils (carbs+protein+fiber), cookies (carbs+fat). The cookies were not bad because they fit into my desired calorie range and they don't really cancel all the nutrition I got from the meal.

YEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

The app doesn't just give you 1200 calories. It uses a formula to determine how many calories to give you, and the vast majority of people who get 1200 entered an overly aggressive pace of weight loss for their stats. If you choose a slower, and likely more reasonable pace of weight loss, you will get more calories to eat. What are your height, current weight, and goal weight?
  • Cat_A_89
    Cat_A_89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I eat high carb and have lost 50 pounds. Carbs are not the enemy. I did Keto for a few months and it was just not sustainable for me at all. I just count calories now and the only macro I track is protein because Im trying to not lose muscle mass while I lose weight. It has become so much easier for me since I stopped keto. And the 8 pounds you gained was water weight it always happens after a cheat meal when youre on keto.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Many this has already been said...

If carbs cause you to crave more carbs and exceed your calorie plan, then keep carbs low.

If carbs give you a specific health problem, then keep carbs low.

If you don't like how carbs make you feel (maybe at breakfast and/or simple carbs) then keep carbs low.

But to lose weight and, typically, to be healthy you usually only have to worry about getting enough protein and (we're told) fiber. The rest of our calories can come from fat and carbs in whatever ratio we like.

I used to do keto and had success with it. My chronic heartburn went away. But I've had more success since quitting keto. And the heartburn never came back.

If a person is a sedentary and frequently eats out, keto might help because it gives you a way to avoid overeating at restaurants.

My opinion, for what it's worth.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I do a kind of keto 25-30 carbs. Lots of veggies and salads (with a meat.) I don't think you do yourself any favors not getting enough protein. No protein = you still can't get enough carbs with your meal.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    carbs are calorie expensive? 1g carb is 4 cal (same as protein) and 1g fat is 9cal...
    I find them so. Pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, cakes, biscuits - all the carb rich foods I like are quite expensive in calories. I still eat them though but just keep them within budget
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    carbs are calorie expensive? 1g carb is 4 cal (same as protein) and 1g fat is 9cal...
    I find them so. Pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, cakes, biscuits - all the carb rich foods I like are quite expensive in calories. I still eat them though but just keep them within budget

I think potatoes are the black sheep of the family. They're not really that calorie dense (less than 1 calorie per gram) and are very nutritious, it's how people prepare it that makes it calorie dense. If you're having fries or au gratin, of course you'll be adding enough fat to take the calories to harder to fit in levels. I can see why some carb rich items can be calorically expensive: either because they usually have fat added or because the moisture content is low. Cakes and biscuits are a prime example, and to some extent pasta if the sauce is fatty. Some of the common "carby" foods have more calories from fat than they do from carbs. Protein items can be just as calorically expensive if you add fat. Think fried chicken which is low in carbs and high in protein and fat.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

It only gives you 1200 because of the settings you chose. How much weight in total do you need to lose and how many pounds per week did you set yourself to? If you go slower, you can eat more. If you chose 2 lbs per week, that is really only practical for larger folks with a lot of weight to lose.

I think its at 1.5 per week. And I have about 30lbs that I want to lose. But could def lose more than that. But would be happy there. And set at seditary because i work an office job and besides the little walk to and from buses and odd 40min lunch class I do I dont get alot of exercise otherwise.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

The app doesn't just give you 1200 calories. It uses a formula to determine how many calories to give you, and the vast majority of people who get 1200 entered an overly aggressive pace of weight loss for their stats. If you choose a slower, and likely more reasonable pace of weight loss, you will get more calories to eat. What are your height, current weight, and goal weight?

Height: 5'4, Starting weight 196.6, Current weight: 189.6, Goal weight: 160. Im sure if I got strict with myself and really focused on non packaged quick fix foods and whole healthy foods I could prob stay in that cal goal easy.. and once my stomach shrinks and i dont feel hungry to eat as big of portions.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    awnurmarc wrote: »
    Many this has already been said...

If carbs cause you to crave more carbs and exceed your calorie plan, then keep carbs low.

If carbs give you a specific health problem, then keep carbs low.

If you don't like how carbs make you feel (maybe at breakfast and/or simple carbs) then keep carbs low.

But to lose weight and, typically, to be healthy you usually only have to worry about getting enough protein and (we're told) fiber. The rest of our calories can come from fat and carbs in whatever ratio we like.

I used to do keto and had success with it. My chronic heartburn went away. But I've had more success since quitting keto. And the heartburn never came back.

If a person is a sedentary and frequently eats out, keto might help because it gives you a way to avoid overeating at restaurants.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

Im glad it helped you and your pain is gone! I have no intentions of doing strict keto if i ever did it again. I would stick to around 100g carbs per day or under. I just want to lose weight and hope it helps my constant aching knees and that it will allow me to do more intensive work outs without being in pain.
  • KristaMac88
    Options

I think potatoes are the black sheep of the family. They're not really that calorie dense (less than 1 calorie per gram) and are very nutritious, it's how people prepare it that makes it calorie dense. If you're having fries or au gratin, of course you'll be adding enough fat to take the calories to harder to fit in levels. I can see why some carb rich items can be calorically expensive: either because they usually have fat added or because the moisture content is low. Cakes and biscuits are a prime example, and to some extent pasta if the sauce is fatty. Some of the common "carby" foods have more calories from fat than they do from carbs. Protein items can be just as calorically expensive if you add fat. Think fried chicken which is low in carbs and high in protein and fat.

My problem with potatoes is that we do not eat them often, and use real potatoes when making stew and stuff like that but over thanksgiving (just had it here in canada) we use the herb and garlic boxed potatoes and they are TERRIBLE for you despite how easy and delicious they are lol and we hate alot of them over the late few days between two dif dinners and leftovers all week.