Oats

Need good recipes please

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Hmmm I make overnight oats with soymilk, unflavored protein powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, honey crisp apple, and sometimes goji berries or dried cranberries.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    • Steel cut oats 25 grams
    • Buckwheat groats 25 grams
    • Flaxseed meal 11 grams
    • Cinnamon 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon
    • 2% milk 4 ounces
    • Water 4 ounces
    • Fresh or dried fruit to sweeten
    Dump all ingredients into a glass or steel bowl and stir
    Place bowl atop a pot of gently boiling water and cover.
    Set timer for 40 minutes.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    I usually use oats for porridge or flapjacks (alas the flapjacks are the full sugar, full fat variety)

For porridge I usually use 35g of oats with 150ml of milk and cook in the microwave for 2 mins. Then I add things to that basic recipe. Chia seeds and honey. Nuts and berries. Bananas and cacao powder. Apple, cinnamon and brown sugar 🤤
  • stephaniensutton
    stephaniensutton Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks all
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Every morning I put about 50g of oats and 10g of chia seeds in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak. Mid afternoon I eat it with skyr yogurt, some berries, maybe some other fruit and maybe some nuts.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    I make a mix of milky porridge and museli. 1/4 cup oats with 1/2 cup light soy milk heated until cooked. Pour into 1/4 cup Muesli. I add fresh fruit to this or frozen fruit as the porridge is cooking. Sometimes I add a little protein powder. A dash of cinnamon I like also.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    I'm sure there are recipes in this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10764003/what-do-you-think-about-oats

This was my contribution:

My favorite way to eat oats: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/228563/stovetop-chocolate-coconut-macaroons/

Don't skip the chilling step - makes a big difference in the flavor. You can speed this up by putting the pot in a larger container of ice water and stirring.

I can't moderate this so reduce the proportions to 3 servings: 1 T butter, etc.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited October 2019
    -40 grams quick cooking oats
    -100 grams shredded zucchini
    -enough water to barely cover the oats (you’ll get a lot of water out of the zucchini when u cook it)
    -microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds
    -top with 28 grams cheddar
    -microwave on high for 30 seconds
    -add in salt pepper (and some hot sauce if you like that) and mix it up
    ... yummmm

For sweet oats, I like to cook it per directions and mix in 1tbsp apple jelly and sprinkle with cinnamon
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I love oatmeal but I am very boring with it. I cook it in milk instead of water, and add a little butter and brown sugar. I eat it every morning. So good.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,419 Member
    I just discovered oat milk. Omg. It is so tasty!!!
  • MIKEPORSCHE
    MIKEPORSCHE Posts: 7 Member
    100g of oats, fry with milk for 10 minutes, add 2 eggs and stir in then cook for another 10 minutes, when cooked add honey, works well with 2 slices of bacon. Totally sets you up for the day.
  • OldHobo
    edited October 2019
    I usually make my oats porridge with a little milk and fresh or dried fruit as described here in an earlier post. But a couple of days ago after measuring the grain I discovered the milk was curdled.
    So ...
    hbjvork1k0m0.jpg

5ce0e0ec3l5z.jpg
  • knitski2002
    knitski2002 Posts: 64 Member
    I eat oatmeal every morning. I have been using a half cup measure for my serving but in reading the nutrition info it says that a serving is a half cup and 40 grams in parentheses. I measured my half cup serving on a scale and it comes to 50 grams. Have I been eating way too much all this time?
  • OldHobo
    I eat oatmeal every morning. I have been using a half cup measure for my serving but in reading the nutrition info it says that a serving is a half cup and 40 grams in parentheses. I measured my half cup serving on a scale and it comes to 50 grams. Have I been eating way too much all this time?

I found the same thing. I was using a tablespoon measure. One tablespoon of steel-cut oats or buckwheat groats was assumed to be 10 grams. Two of those tablespoons consistently weigh about 25 grams though. So I log 25 grams of each. You ask, "Have I been eating way too much all this time?" Whether you have been eating too much is for you to decide but clearly you have been logging about 20% less than you actually ate and eating 25% more than you logged.
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    simple pumpkin protein overnight oats: 1/2 cup oats, 1 Scoop casein protein, 1 serving fat free sugar free pudding mix, 1/2 cup canned pumpkin, sweetener and cinnamon, 3/4 cup almond or cashew milk. mix all ingredients thoroughly and cover/re-frigate overnight.
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    I just discovered oat milk. Omg. It is so tasty!!!

Really? Where did you buy it? I’ve never seen it.