From zero to twenty pull-ups - No experience necessary!

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I think I may join you on this. I had some broken fingers needing surgery and pins over the summer so I lost a lot of upper body strength. I haven't tested a max, but I felt that things were getting strugly at 7 the other day. That would put me starting week one with sets of 4/3/2/4/5.
  • mthwbrwn
    mthwbrwn Posts: 104 Member
    It would be great if you want to post your progress here.
    I took a look at your bio page are your goals are very inspirational. You would be a great add to the group!

Just the other day, I started doing pistol squats again (I'm using the same 20 pullups training plan for pistols). Way back when, I could do 10 on each side. The other day I tried to max, I got about 1 on the right side and a pretty good cramp. I'm on week -1 doing negs (and rock ups). Trying to get back to where I was!
  • mom23mangos
    My right leg is good, but I cramp on my left leg pretty bad.
  • mom23mangos
    I did Week1 Day1 today, but I didn't write down what I was supposed to do and just went from memory. I was a little off, but that's ok. I did 5/4/3/4/5, then I did a set of 7 and a set of 5 a little while later. I'm debating if I should mix up the hand placement on the different days. I have a harder time with wide arms.
  • mthwbrwn
    @mom23mangos
    Nice work! Looks like you are well on your way to crushing the 20 Pull Up goal. As to switching up the grip, that's all up to you, you're the subject matter expert here.

I managed to get my pull up set done yesterday after a three-day break
    I spent the weekend in Portland OR and had a real hard time finding a pull up bar until yesterday. Its funny how often people say "pull ups are great because you can do them anywhere" but then when you try to find an outdoor bar in a new city it can be a real pain. I'm 6'1" so monkey bars at playgrounds are often too low. :(
  • mom23mangos
    I have the opposite problem of being too short. Our doorframes are 8ft tall, so I have to move an end table over any time I want to reach the pull-up bar at home.

I saw that I actually did the Week2 progression on Monday so I just stuck with that and did 4/4/3/4/6 today.
  • mthwbrwn
    Just finished up my second set on day 2 of week -1 - Since the total reps are low I've been adding a second set to up my daily volume. Really want to get to Week 1 on the next test.
  • mom23mangos
    Finished out week 2 with 4/4/4/4/8. These were neutral grip. Good luck testing your gains @mthwbrwn !
  • mthwbrwn
    Okay, so I had my last day of week -1 scheduled for yesterday and I missed that workout. I made it up this morning which was 1, 1neg, 1, 1neg, max with 90 seconds rest in between.
    I was able to max 3 pullups on the 5th set so I am taking this as a sign to just move onto week 1 on Wednesday rather than resting and then testing. (kinda already did enough resting)
  • mom23mangos
    That's great news! Three is a huge improvement. I did Week 3, Day 1 this morning and they all felt smooth as butter. 6/5/4/5/6
  • robynleegetsfit
    robynleegetsfit Posts: 49 Member
    I'm new here. I'd like to work on my upper body strength. Is it too late to join?
  • mthwbrwn
    Is it too late to join?

It's not too late to join at all. You'll want to go over to twentypullups.com to review the program. Then test how many pull ups you can do. Come back here and post your progress. There is no start or end date for this challenge.
  • gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    I don't have a pull up bar but am interested in this. I saw they referenced www.studbarpullup.com for their recommended pull up bar, is that what you use?
  • mom23mangos
    I just have a doorway pullup bar with handles for standard, wide grip or neutral pullups.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    I want a pull-up bar! I sneakily had a go on the monkey bars at the park (when no-one was around) and managed 3! I was quite surprised actually. I don't know if I can even reach the ones in the gym as I am such a short-*kitten*.
  • mom23mangos
    I want a pull-up bar! I sneakily had a go on the monkey bars at the park (when no-one was around) and managed 3! I was quite surprised actually. I don't know if I can even reach the ones in the gym as I am such a short-*kitten*.

I just drag over a box or stool thing that is used for step-ups. Or, if I have to use the ones on the top of the squat cage, I step on the safety bars. I can reach the ones on the cable system if I jump.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    That's a good plan. I will drag something over next week - I only have access to a gym at work Monday-Wednesday. Or I could sneak up the playground again :)
  • mthwbrwn
    I don't use the studbar but it looks solid. If you have the space, it would be a fantastic add to any home gym. If you are looking to advance to bar muscle ups at home, I would suggest this rig. I am using a doorgym like @mom23mangos but at 6'1" I don't have the problem of my feet dangling when I use it. :p .

I also have a 4x4 running across 3 exposed joists in my garage that I screwed a Rogue ring beam onto(not sure of it's actual name ATM). I am using it currently only for ring dips but I could use it for pullups if I wanted to change the height in between dips and pullups. It's solid and does not require any filling of holes in our rental house like the studbar would.
  • mom23mangos
    edited October 2019
    mthwbrwn wrote: »
    I don't use the studbar but it looks solid. If you have the space, it would be a fantastic add to any home gym. If you are looking to advance to bar muscle ups at home, I would suggest this rig. I am using a doorgym like @mom23mangos but at 6'1" I don't have the problem of my feet dangling when I use it. :p .

I also have a 4x4 running across 3 exposed joists in my garage that I screwed a Rogue ring beam onto(not sure of it's actual name ATM). I am using it currently only for ring dips but I could use it for pullups if I wanted to change the height in between dips and pullups. It's solid and does not require any filling of holes in our rental house like the studbar would.

I have a pair of rings in our game room as well since the ceiling is 12ft. I just screwed in a couple eyebolts into the studs and then attached some carabiners. I trade them in and out with a yoga trapeze. My oldest son returned to the roost however and is living in the gameroom, so I don't use them as frequently as I would like.

Finished Wk3/Day2 today with 6/5/6/5/6.
  • mthwbrwn
    My oldest son returned to the roost however and is living in the gameroom, so I don't use them as frequently as I would like.
    "Sorry son, here's a listing of available apartments. Mom's got fitness goals." :)

Also, 'yoga trapeze' sounds amazing. Not sure what that is but it is the next thing I am putting in the browser search.