From zero to twenty pull-ups - No experience necessary!

Replies

• mthwbrwn
    mthwbrwn Posts: 104 Member
    Completed my week 1 day 1 work out today. I missed on the last set. I am visiting San Diego and I only had access to a wooden beam on a play structure. I got some extra negatives in today so overall I got a good workout. The plan is to repeat day 1 next workout though.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I finished Week3/Day3 today and it was ROUGH. Maybe combining this with the Evil Russian Pushup Program was not the wisest choice. 7/6/5/4/max - 6.
  • mthwbrwn
    OK. I fought through day 2 and I missed the 5th set again. (2/2/1/2/3). I got 2 reps out but couldn't make three.
    I have been under the weather and travelling so I guess I have a good enough reason to be stalling. I will be back to familiar territory on Tuesday so I'll reset week 1 then.
  • mthwbrwn
    I rolled back to week 1 day 1 and was able to complete the day properly 2/1/1/2/3 . I followed the pull ups with a set of 5 negative ring dips.
  • mom23mangos
    So I had an unexpected break due to family issues and basically didn't workout for the past 4-5 days. I did do the Week3 test this morning, but then wasn't sure if I was supposed to do all 5 sets of week 4/day 1 afterwards or just count the test as the first set. So that's what I did. I barely eked out 10 pullups on the test. That last rep was a struggle to get my chin over the bar. So I did 10/4/5/6/7 and that last rep on the 7 was a struggle too.
  • mthwbrwn
    Way to go on your pull ups test, I hope all is well with your family.

If I was to guess on the intention of the twenty pullups plan, I think that the pull up test represents one training day, you rest one day, and then move on to do day 1 later. Although the training volume for that test day is woefully low compared to others.

I see that you smashed that conservative plan to pieces!
    You've got excellent endurance to do 4 reps (let alone 5/6/7) after an all-out test with 2 minutes rest.
  • mom23mangos
    I haven't been a stickler on the rest times. Basically I did a set of pullups, then a set of squats, maybe a handstand and then back for another set of pullups.
  • mthwbrwn
    Finished week 1 day 2 today. 2/2/1/2/3
    The set felt pretty solid so I did a second set after about an hour and then finished the workout with 5 negative ring dips .

@mom23mangos I've wondered about the rest times myself. I wonder if is it better for strength/endurance to hit the rest times and fail a round of reps or rest enough to hit every round of the set???
    I'm leaning toward incorporating longer rest times especially if I miss the mark on the previous workout.

Whether a stickler or not, you're still a beast to have completed multiple rounds after your all-out test!
  • mom23mangos
    Well, the instructions give the rest time and then say "or longer if needed", so I take it with a grain of salt. I did Week 4/Day 2 today. 7/6/5/6/7. My chin was really reaching for the bar that last rep of the last set. So if you count chin over bar it would count, but if you count chest to bar it would have failed.
  • mom23mangos
    Finished week4/day3. I kind of got confused as I didn’t have the chart in front of me and ended up doing 8/7/6/4/max 9. I added another set of 4 with wide grip later.
  • gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    edited November 2019
    Ok, i'm in officially. I received and installed my www.studpullupbar.com pull up bar yesterday. As I expected I could not complete a single good form pull up having not done a pull up since middle school. Pulling up 245lbs from a dead hang is no joke! LOL! I did surprise myself though and was able to make it about 1/3 of the way up, but failed to make the transition into the next "arm position" for lack of better explanation.

I was able to to do the negatives deciding to start at week -2 pretty well although it took notable strain to hold the steady lowering through the same area I failed to do the original pull up which makes sense. I'm definitely feeling it today, but will be back at it tonight.

For what its worth I'm very impressed with their pull up bar. There is no movement or feeling or weakness in it at all even with me on it. I did get it from amazon instead of direct because it saved about 20-30 bucks off direct cost.

Heres to being able to do some good form pull ups by the end of the year!
  • mthwbrwn
    gemiller87 wrote: »
    . Pulling up 245lbs from a dead hang is no joke! LOL!

I was able to to do the negatives deciding to start at week -2 pretty well although it took notable strain to hold the steady lowering through the same area I failed to do the original pull up which makes sense. I'm definitely feeling it today, but will be back at it tonight.

Very cool . Welcome to the group (officially) -
    I think trying to get one full pull up by Jan1 is definitely a doable goal. You're on the right path with the negatives!

Since you are asking more of your muscles and tendons than they (currently) can handle with negatives, do make sure to make your rest days as important, if not more important, than your work days.

Its going to be awesome to see your progress.

• mthwbrwn
    Failed to complete week 2 day 1 today - 3/2/3/2/3 :( - I was able to get one set of 3 but could only do 3/2/2/2/2 -
    I am going to run W2D1 next workout and hopefully have a better day Thursday -
  • gemiller87
    mthwbrwn wrote: »
    gemiller87 wrote: »
    . Pulling up 245lbs from a dead hang is no joke! LOL!

Very cool . Welcome to the group (officially) -
    I think trying to get one full pull up by Jan1 is definitely a doable goal. You're on the right path with the negatives!

Since you are asking more of your muscles and tendons than they (currently) can handle with negatives, do make sure to make your rest days as important, if not more important, than your work days.

Its going to be awesome to see your progress.

Yea, today is going to be a rest day from all push up and pull up work. Yesterday I completed the W-2D2 successfully but I can really feel it in my lats. I suspect that's the muscle group that i'm really lacking in because its also what I feel after a more strenuous push up work out. Tonight will just be sit ups, squats and planking.

• mom23mangos
    Welcome @gemiller87 ! I have a friend about your size, closer to 7" I think and he was able to work up to a good number of pullups, but it is definitely harder for someone of your mass. Us small people have an advantage when it comes to pullups.

I did Week 5/ Day 1 yesterday. At first I got really excited because I thought I was given a deload day as the reps looked nice and low. And then I realized they upped the sets from 5 to 7! So it was 4/4/5/5/6/6/7. I did about 4 sets of 3 reps at 10lbs weight spread throughout the afternoon afterwards. I did the same thing on Monday after my regular sets.
  • gemiller87
    Welcome @gemiller87 ! I have a friend about your size, closer to 7" I think and he was able to work up to a good number of pullups, but it is definitely harder for someone of your mass. Us small people have an advantage when it comes to pullups.

I did Week 5/ Day 1 yesterday. At first I got really excited because I thought I was given a deload day as the reps looked nice and low. And then I realized they upped the sets from 5 to 7! So it was 4/4/5/5/6/6/7. I did about 4 sets of 3 reps at 10lbs weight spread throughout the afternoon afterwards. I did the same thing on Monday after my regular sets.

Yea based on my negatives and surprising ability to make it to the lead transition point I'm confident I'll be able to succeed by the end of the year to be able to do at least a couple good form pull ups but its definitely no joke in terms of work. Congrats on your success with your pull up progress!
  • mom23mangos
    edited November 2019
    Today was Week 5/Day2. It was supposed to by 8/7/8/7/8. I ended up missing a rep on the second set of 7's. So it was 8/7/8/6/8. I don't know what happened there. The sets started off feeling really strong. Maybe it was playing Beat Saber in between which is very arm intensive. Maybe it was not really eating for almost 20hrs (not intentionally) prior. But I rested a couple of minutes after the last set and then got in another set of 7. I'm debating about repeating this day over, but not sure.

Edit - I also did the first set of 7 as paused reps (pause at top, pause halfway, pause at bottom), so that may have contributed as well.
  • mthwbrwn
    Done with week 2 day 1 - I had a much better day today and completed 3/2/3/2/3 early in the day. I did a 2nd set later alternating pull ups with ring dips (more like negatives). I may start incorporating this type of superset more in the future as it seems to help with my sore elbows.
  • mom23mangos
    mthwbrwn wrote: »
    Done with week 2 day 1 - I had a much better day today and completed 3/2/3/2/3 early in the day. I did a 2nd set later alternating pull ups with ring dips (more like negatives). I may start incorporating this type of superset more in the future as it seems to help with my sore elbows.

Yay! I'm glad the repeat worked out better for you. You've gone from negatives to sets of 3 in just a few short weeks. That's really impressive!
  • mom23mangos
    I thought this video was pretty interesting. This may work for you @mthwbrwn next time you are traveling without access to a bar.

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a19529627/the-move-that-will-make-you-a-pullup-powerhouse/