Fed Up Movie - hidden sugars

Having read a Reddit about obesity in various countries, someone up thread referenced the movie Fed Up - so we watched it yesterday. It's about sugar in processed food and the food industry. That was a bit of an eye opener.

Ever wondered why there is no recommended daily intake for sugar on packaging like there is for every other food group? All to do with politics. I even googled what is the RDA for sugar and struggled to get an answer.

Worth watching for sure.

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Do you think that example is for a real product? If yes, what do you think it is?

My guess would be some type of granola cereal.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Read the posted critique from Muscleflex.

Non scientific sample of 1...if I am trying to hit a net calorie number its 10x harder if I eat high calorie sugary stuff because I get hungry again faster.

I suspect sugar is correlated with obesity. But its probably also related to not getting cals from vegetables, protein and healthy fat which keep you full longer.

There's an argument that the 80s, 90s low fat craze was actually very counter productive because people amped sugar to make stuff taste better with less fat. But ultimately upped calories as a result.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Humans aren't fattening!
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Sugar, so vilified. I think of sugar and butter (fat) as the ultimate fraternal twins working together to do a delightful job of making the world fat/obese if not eaten in moderation. But the issue is of course on people not the sugar and or butter.

Yet the amount of sugar in various forms that are in soda, pop, cola whatever one calls it depending on where one is from is startling. And the average amount that many people drink of it per day. This is a true situation, back in 1997 we moved from IL to Florida. And I was totally surprised by the fact at that time, both by where I worked and in many grocery stores there was many choices of soda to drink. Unless you were looking for any that were diet of any sort. After about two months of bugging the cafeteria manager they finally started buying diet coke and diet pepsi. And I think it was about a year before they had in fountains. Trying to find brewed unsweetened ice tea while out to eat was slow to happen as well.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Humans aren't fattening!

As long as you moderate your intake of humans.

The effort needed to acquire a human might help balance CICO, making moderation easier.

Worth a "Chance"

qdvra7gwqa7z.png
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I just really amuses me about how people want to demonize sugar as the devil... I don't drink soft drinks regularly (I might have 1 or 2 a year and those more often than not will be diet drinks), I don't drink sweet tea and I rarely eat dessert - yet I was obese! Where's all that sugar that made me fat?!?!?!?

Because if it's not sugar....it's them.