Walking nature trails is my FAVORITE exercise!

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i love the trails too. and my dogs. definitely my happy place.
    easy path
    3zr4sf98ewxw.png
    769qogpzbdfg.png
    z16gn9kpz82c.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    shunggie wrote: »
    miaf4rhzcrir.jpeg

aaah he is so cute <3
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades - how stunning and beautiful! I seriously think my heart rate rose just looking at the gorgeous scenery! Oh, to experience it all!
  • jim_pipkin
    jim_pipkin Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades hope you heal well and fast - I hate injuries, had a few over the years, and they all seemed to take FOREVER to heal!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I found out the owl is a Northern Saw-whet. Sadly, they have many predators.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Saw-whet_Owl/overview

A tiny owl with a catlike face, oversized head, and bright yellow eyes, the Northern Saw-whet Owl is practically bursting with attitude. Where mice and other small mammals are concerned this fierce, silent owl is anything but cute. One of the most common owls in forests across northern North America (and across the U.S. in winter), saw-whets are highly nocturnal and seldom seen. Their high-pitched too-too-too call is a common evening sound in evergreen mountain forests from January through May.

They're so darned cute, too cute for words.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    That's moody and dramatic! 👍
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Love it! Doesn’t even feel like work.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    La Luz Trail in Albuquerque is one of my favorite local hikes.

part-of-the-rock-slide.jpg

It's about 7.5 miles up with 3200 ft of elevation gain and then another 7.5 miles down though many, including myself often opt to take the Tram down from the crest.

Unfortunately, as one of the most popular trails in the area, it is often frequented by tourists who are not accustomed to the elevation as you start at a little over 7,000 feet and end at the crest at over 10,000 feet. Rescues are pretty regular occurrences. A lot of times people aren't dressed or prepared with proper clothing...it can be quite warm and comfortable in the foothills with lots of sunshine in the high desert portion, but it gets colder and more shaded by forest as you climb. It can easily be 60*F at the bottom and below freezing on the crest with ripping winds.

It's actually a great hike to do in mid summer if you start early when it's still cool out...you can stay comfortable most of the day. We've done it in May and had to turn around with the last 3 miles or so in front of us because it was getting too snow packed and icy to continue safely. Turns out there were three rescues that day due to people trying to get through the snow.

Being very new to SW hiking, it's quite remarkable, to me, how hard it can be walking on totally rocky trails. Looking at that picture, it shows how rocky the trails can be. It's just a totally different type of trail. I can't imagine doing 15 miles on that stuff.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

You're making me want to get out of heaven's waiting line (North Tucson) and do some three day trips to Northern AZ with your pics. I hope to have a lot more around Tucson this Fall and Winter. Sabino and Madeira Canyon are on the list soon. I'm trying to talk the wife into Bear Wallow up near Mt Lemmon this weekend to see the Fall foliage.

I grew up in Tucson and did my first hiking and backpacking there. I used to do a really nice loop hike up Sabino and down through Bear Canyon. If you hike the Telephone Trail you avoid the shuttle and all the people. Saguaro NP has some very nice hikes as well.