Fall 2011 Marathon Support Group

Options
1235»

Replies

• FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    So summer marathon done. Finished in 1:42:29. New PR for me... Now training for my fall marathon. Hope everyon is having a great Canada Day/Independence Day weekend!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    So summer marathon done. Finished in 1:42:29. New PR for me... Now training for my fall marathon. Hope everyon is having a great Canada Day/Independence Day weekend!

Woo-hoo! Congratulations!

I seem to be back into the swing of things. Had to take a loooong break from running. Easing back into it. Had to quit the running group because I was so far behind :sad: But now I've had three really good runs in a row and I am feeling good about it. They've been short, but I've got to start back somewhere.

I'm signing up for a half in October to help get me ready for New York in November. Really excited!!!:bigsmile:

Sooooo? How is everyone doing??? Everybody getting their training in with the heat of summer?
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

Awesome speed! Well done!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options

Awesome time!!! Congrats! :)
  • katapple
    Options
    Sooooo? How is everyone doing??? Everybody getting their training in with the heat of summer?

Good luck on your training and easing back into it! Everything is going well so far. I did speed work for the first time today, not sure if I did it right, but it felt great! I did a 1 mile warm up, followed by 5x.25 sprints, with 2 min walk/jog break between, ending with a mile cool down. 4 miles in 37 min, which is the fasted 4 miler I've had!

My half is going to be in the 11-12 min/mile ball park as I am running with a friend and I told her I wouldn't leave her side. I'm just excited to cross the line with a friend, my goal is to enjoy myself and not feel like I am going to die at the end. Hoping the speedwork will help the half feel 'easy' :)

I seem to get out early enough in the morning where the heat isn't too much of an issue, but then again, it hasn't been that hot here yet!
  • FryingPanda
    Options

Ooops.... I forgot a very important word in that post... Summer HALF marathon done :embarassed: . Though being able to run a full marathon at pace slightly higher than a 5:00/mile would be awesome.
  • FryingPanda
    Options

I seem to be back into the swing of things. Had to take a loooong break from running. Easing back into it. Had to quit the running group because I was so far behind :sad: But now I've had three really good runs in a row and I am feeling good about it. They've been short, but I've got to start back somewhere.

I'm signing up for a half in October to help get me ready for New York in November. Really excited!!!:bigsmile:

Welcome back to the world of running! Hopefully whatever made you have to stop is well behind you and won't come back! Great work on the runs. :happy:
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options

Either you set a new world record or you are talking about a half.... (edit: still a great race time)
  • katapple
    Options

Ooops.... I forgot a very important word in that post... Summer HALF marathon done :embarassed: . Though being able to run a full marathon at pace slightly higher than a 5:00/mile would be awesome.

I read your post from earlier and figured it was for a half :) It's STILL an awesome time!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i walked my first half marathon in the beginning of june (after an abdominal surgery in the beginning of april) and hoping to run one in mid-october. :) i'd love to become a part of this group.
  • FryingPanda
    Options
    So how is everyone's Fall Marathon/ Half-Marathon training going? I am in week two and it has been hard to get back into the swing of things.
  • katapple
    Options
    Going well here! Had a 10k race last weekend and I surpassed my goal by 1:07 :)

This weekend is our first 9 mile run, I'm excited! Especially because we are running from one town to another on a bike path and then eating bfast after....so what if we will be all sweaty and stinky??

I'm even more excited that the temperature is 56 this morning....I cannot wait to run in cooler weather!!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    :( Well I'm not gonna make my 1/2 marathon I don't think. I'm still trying but I had such a set back in my running. I might try a 1/2 marathon in October called the Zombie Marathon, we will see maybe I"ll just do the 5K . Next year though I have lots of races planned out!!!
  • FryingPanda
    Options
    Going well here! Had a 10k race last weekend and I surpassed my goal by 1:07 :)

This weekend is our first 9 mile run, I'm excited! Especially because we are running from one town to another on a bike path and then eating bfast after....so what if we will be all sweaty and stinky??

I'm even more excited that the temperature is 56 this morning....I cannot wait to run in cooler weather!!

Congrats on your 10K time! It's always nice when you get a better time. Then it is like a double win. Also, a nice breakfast after a 9 mile run sounds like it will be extra delicious!
  • FryingPanda
    Options
    :( Well I'm not gonna make my 1/2 marathon I don't think. I'm still trying but I had such a set back in my running. I might try a 1/2 marathon in October called the Zombie Marathon, we will see maybe I"ll just do the 5K . Next year though I have lots of races planned out!!!

Depending at where you are at physically, it is doable... But if you don't feel right running a 1/2 is probably the last thing you want to do. Best of luck with your training and watch out for zombies!
  • katapple
    Options
    So I have officially change my mind (and maybe lost it too) I decided that I am going to run the FULL marathon instead of the half in November, which is only 6 weeks after my half. I've been feeling phenomenal after long runs, so I decided to just go for it!

So here's my plan:
    Mon & Wed: Crosstrain (circuit training/R.I.P.P.E.D.)
    Tue: middle of the road run (6-8), easy
    Thur: 3-5 miles with sprints
    Fri & Sun: off
    Sat: long run, easy (14, 16, 12, 18, 20, 12)

So what do you think, doable? If I have to walk, it's not a big deal, I just want to finish!
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi! If you are doing well with your long runs, then I say go for it! Your peaking cycle looks good. I follow Hal Higdon's training guides and they rock! Check him out if you are looking to modify, challenge yourself or simply finish. :)

www.halhigdon.com

Good luck!
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    Well Diabetes Half Marathon tomorrow morning... this is the one I devised the route for here in Winnipeg. Its a fast, flat course... but haven't trained as much as I should have (have been too busy coaching 10K clinics to do full training) Hoping for a 2:10 time, but haven't trained hard for it.

Should be interesting! Wish me luck!
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    Did the Canadian Diabetes Run For Diabetes Half Marathon in Winnipeg this morning, posted a 2:15:13... respectable but had hoped for better. Still it was for an awesome cause and worth running in!
  • katapple
    Options
    Nice Run Jeff! I miss Winnipeg, are you from there? I'm from ND so traveled there often for 18th birthdays ;-P

So I have had to switch my schedule around. I won't be able to fit in my scheduled 16 miles on Saturday, and the only day I can get a long run in is tomorrow...and it's probably too close to my 14 miler (from Sat) to do the full 16, right? I think I'll switch it up, do 12 tomorrow and then begin again next Sat with 17, 14, 20, 15. I will, of course, run my regular runs through the week.