Diet Soda; Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Going to play devils advocate here. Diet Soda does have more sodium then water. Sodium can make you retain water weight, so technically, if you reduce your sodium intake by cutting out diet soda and switch to water, you will lose weight........water weight.
  • nytrifisoul
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Going to play devils advocate here. Diet Soda does have more sodium then water. Sodium can make you retain water weight, so technically, if you reduce your sodium intake by cutting out diet soda and switch to water, you will lose weight........water weight.

Except that when people say "weight loss," they nearly always mean fat loss. Your post implies that you know OP doesn't mean water weight loss. We see a lot of people here who get very anxious about normal water weight fluctuations, sometimes to an unhealthy extent, so I would discourage putting the focus on water weight when that's not what is being discussed.

The devil has plenty of advocates already and does not need any more.

Ok serious sally, my bad.I'll duck out now.

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    boldknee wrote: »
    Did you get dietary recommendations from your doctor?

My baby is 30, so I don't know what current thinking is, but back then, the NO list during pregnancy and breastfeeding included both caffeine and artificial sweeteners.

So, while it won't change your caloric intake, giving up diet Coke for the next 9 or more months is probably a good plan. Ask your doc!

Well, after all the disagrees, I had to go look! Seems like caffeine is still a no (or should at least be very limited), but nobody says to avoid artificial sweeteners any more. Interesting! I wonder when it changed.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,021 Member
    Options

I highly doubt that drinking a small amount of coffee or caffeine containing drinks is a problem in pregnancy

However OP did specify that she drinks caffeine free version so that wouldnt be an issue here - if it even is an issue.
  • JPyles1980
    JPyles1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Soda actually leads to dehydration as well so swapping from soda to water only quite possibly will lead to weight gain as tour body absorbs the water it's not use to recieving on a regular basis.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    JPyles1980 wrote: »
    Soda actually leads to dehydration as well so swapping from soda to water only quite possibly will lead to weight gain as tour body absorbs the water it's not use to recieving on a regular basis.
    JPyles1980 wrote: »

nooo... not enough sodium or caffeine in diet soda to get the diuretic effects.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Big Mac + diet coke = 560 calories.
    Big Mac + 2 diet cokes = 560 calories.
    Big Mac + 3 diet cokes = 560 calories.

How many calories with 5 diet cokes?

• psychod787
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »

😲 yup... it was the diet soda that made me gain weight! Not the 3 big macs a day I ate! Lol
  • nytrifisoul
    Options

😲 yup... it was the diet soda that made me gain weight! Not the 3 big macs a day I ate! Lol

Thats only 1700 calories a day. I think you are not telling us the real story.
  • psychod787
    Options

Thats only 1700 calories a day. I think you are not telling us the real story.

Oh add the fries and milkshakes.. lol
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    AmyG1982 wrote: »
    Congrats! I just had my second baby, my starting weight was 234 and my ending weight was 231... I ended up being diagnosed with gestational diabetes which was luckily controlled by diet. My doctors were very happy with my weight loss and I truly believe following the GD diet saved me gaining 40lbs like I did with my first (and my recovery was way easier this time!) definitely talk to your dr but I’d recommend following a GD diet if you can stomach it (the first trimester I totally believe anything goes lol just do what you can to get through it).

As for the coke, I’d suggest cutting down just cuz of the caffeine but it won’t affect your weight.

Good luck!

Did you miss the bit where she said she drank caffeine free diet coke?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The calories in diet drinks aren't really what's driving weight gain or loss. Best case scenario you would lose a pound in 5-6 months if you quit diet drinks and don't unconsciously replace it with other foods. Congratulations on your pregnancy. Visit your doctor and ask them for a calorie recommendation, use it as your goal here, and follow it.