I think I have to start eating Meat again

Options
katermari
katermari Posts: 137 Member
edited October 2019 in Food and Nutrition
two years ago I decided to see how long I could go without eating meat (fish only) I quickly learned about supplementing with b12, over the past two years my body has started to hate me.
My hair is falling out (breaking) I am exhausted, My skin is garbage, I am always hungry, I haven't added any muscle mass, and the list goes on.
Now I know you do not need animal protein to survive, BUT I cannot afford all the supplements I need to keep my body going.

Please note, I do not like most veggies, or fruits I have a very bland boring pallet.

Replies

• AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough plant protein and healthy fats? I have read similar stories from vegans/vegetarians before so maybe it’s just not for you but if you aren’t getting enough protein and fats that’ll definitely cause issues that you may be able to correct while still staying away from meat.
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi! Perhaps you are not getting enough iron, protein and/or fat? Or maybe the proteins you are choosing don't have all the amino acids/are not complete proteins? It might be useful to pop into your library and grab some reading material as well as tracking your macros.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    katermari wrote: »
    My hair is falling out (breaking) I am exhausted, My skin is garbage, I am always hungry, I haven't added any muscle mass, and the list goes on.
    Now I know you do not need animal protein to survive, BUT I cannot afford all the supplements I need to keep my body going.

This sounds like you’re just not eating enough. Do you log your food, and if so how many calories do you eat?

Considering it’s so bad that your hair is falling out and you’re always exhausted, I would go to your doctor to check that you don’t have a health problem.

If you don’t particularly want to start eating meat again, feel free to look at my food diary. I haven’t eaten meat since I was a child, but I still managed to gain a lot of weight (too much!) without supplements.

i probably am not eating enough what so ever, i have managed to adapt to some bad bad bad habits. i eat so well all day, then night time hits and once my hubby is alseep i binge on bad things (chocolate, chips, cookies, ice cream)
    i have a doctor appointment tuesday, it cant come sooner.

You definitely do not have a healthy relationship with food. Good and bad are words to describe the taste of food not the food itself. There are reasons to limit high calorie treat food but in moderation and balance everything is fine.

^^^This...
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    This happened to my husband's coworker and his doctor told him to start eating meat. His body is much healthier now. I'm glad you're getting checked out by the doctor. Let us know what he/she says.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Non-diet/food related, maybe ask your doctor to test your thyroid function. The symptoms you describe could also be related to a malfunctioning thyroid.

This was my thought exactly. All symptoms of low thyroid or starvation. Hopefully the doc will have some insights. Hope you feel better soon!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Please note, I do not like most veggies, or fruits I have a very bland boring pallet.

Chances are when you start to avoid the hyper-palatable, ultra processed foods you are currently eating, the fruits and vegetables you once thought had no flavor will taste amazing.

• katermari
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

Chances are when you start to avoid the hyper-palatable, ultra processed foods you are currently eating, the fruits and vegetables you once thought had no flavor will taste amazing.

i dont eat ultra processed foods, i eat the same boring foods. ie brocolli asparagus green beans zucchini
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

i dont eat ultra processed foods, i eat the same boring foods. ie brocolli asparagus green beans zucchini

You did mention you binge on cookies, chocolate, chips and ice cream. Those are ultra processed and can blunt your perception of what food should taste like. None of the foods you just mentioned need to be boring. It may be how they are prepared that you consider them boring. Roasting them can develop flavors that make them more appealing. Instead of using pasta for spaghetti or lasagna use vegetables with the marinara or sauce of your choice. There are some great creative recipes out there as well so get creative!
  • katermari
    Options

You did mention you binge on cookies, chocolate, chips and ice cream. Those are ultra processed and can blunt your perception of what food should taste like. None of the foods you just mentioned need to be boring. It may be how they are prepared that you consider them boring. Roasting them can develop flavors that make them more appealing. Instead of using pasta for spaghetti or lasagna use vegetables with the marinara or sauce of your choice. There are some great creative recipes out there as well so get creative!

thank you!