Flavors of Childhood?

Options

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    This is more a childhood memory of a METHOD of cooking...we had one of these Farberware indoor grills and my Dad would cook all kinds of stuff on it. My favorite was teriyaki chicken legs.
    crruxezn4d2j.jpeg
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Chicken and Dumplings made with mom's biscuit dough. Fresh strawberry short cake with real whipped cream.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    This is more a childhood memory of a METHOD of cooking...we had one of these Farberware indoor grills and my Dad would cook all kinds of stuff on it. My favorite was teriyaki chicken legs.
    crruxezn4d2j.jpeg

We had a similar one of these too! I don't have fond memories of it though because my mom would overcook steak on it and my dad would overcook hamburgers on it. I hated hamburgers as a kid but what I didn't realize is that I only hated dry, overcooked, one-step-up-from-charcoal hamburgers.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Every once and a while i crave dry well done sirloin with lots of A1 steak sauce from my childhood. If you are like me and prefer your steaks med rare and juicy, you really can't appreciate A1 because it just drips right off a perfect juicy steak. You need that dry over cooked steak to soak up the A1.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    crruxezn4d2j.jpeg

My mom wasn’t a great cook. She gave all of us kids something similar for Christmas one year. I was only about 16. It was the first time I learned to make meat that wasn’t dry as shoe leather. We all had them for years, and bought replacements when they finally gave up. And we were all good meat cooks.

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Every once and a while i crave dry well done sirloin with lots of A1 steak sauce from my childhood. If you are like me and prefer your steaks med rare and juicy, you really can't appreciate A1 because it just drips right off a perfect juicy steak. You need that dry over cooked steak to soak up the A1.

Wow.. the mention of A1 just brought back memories of my dad's breaded/fried steak cutlets. One of my favorite things after school when I was a kid!
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Mine childhood foods are now my comfort food. I’m from UK.

Corned Beef Hash: tinned corned beef, mash potato, mash carrots, tinned garden peas, cheese, sliced tomato, HP brown sauce. My version contains non-traditional items (carrots & peas) but I did this once as a child in cookery class to sneak veggies in a meal and done it this way ever since.

Fish fingers, potato waffles, beans: easy ingredients but it’s all about the presentation....in a bowl mashed together and eaten with a small spoon - heaven

Heinz cream of tomato soup with a cheese sandwich: so the cheese sandwich is key here. I have progressed to grated cheddar now (how high brow of me), but as a kid I used dairylea cheese spread and it’s wonderful to dunk the cheese butty into the scalding hot soup
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A weird childhood flavor to enjoy, but I remember sorrel soup. We only had sorrel seasonally, and the season didn't last long so it was special. Green almonds and green chickpeas, too, for the same reasons.

A more "normal" flavor of childhood: I had white bread, with a sprinkle of granulated sugar in a bowl, then milk is carefully poured in as to not completely dissolve the sugar. The bread was creamy, the sugar was crunchy, and the milk was.. well, milk, I love milk. A similar one was biscotti crushed into a bowl then tea poured on top and eaten with a spoon.
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Chocobananas! 😋

c6v5yf87fhy7.jpeg
  • fourtotwentychars
    fourtotwentychars Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mine childhood foods are now my comfort food. I’m from UK.

Corned Beef Hash: tinned corned beef, mash potato, mash carrots, tinned garden peas, cheese, sliced tomato, HP brown sauce. My version contains non-traditional items (carrots & peas) but I did this once as a child in cookery class to sneak veggies in a meal and done it this way ever since.

Fish fingers, potato waffles, beans: easy ingredients but it’s all about the presentation....in a bowl mashed together and eaten with a small spoon - heaven

Heinz cream of tomato soup with a cheese sandwich: so the cheese sandwich is key here. I have progressed to grated cheddar now (how high brow of me), but as a kid I used dairylea cheese spread and it’s wonderful to dunk the cheese butty into the scalding hot soup

A cup of beans, using a sausage as a spoon. It's like a savoury 99.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Chocobananas! 😋

c6v5yf87fhy7.jpeg

Its a good thing you told us what those were.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    A weird childhood flavor to enjoy, but I remember sorrel soup. We only had sorrel seasonally, and the season didn't last long so it was special. Green almonds and green chickpeas, too, for the same reasons.

A more "normal" flavor of childhood: I had white bread, with a sprinkle of granulated sugar in a bowl, then milk is carefully poured in as to not completely dissolve the sugar. The bread was creamy, the sugar was crunchy, and the milk was.. well, milk, I love milk. A similar one was biscotti crushed into a bowl then tea poured on top and eaten with a spoon.

Makes me think of wood sorrel. Back when I was 4 ( I was attempting a cartwheel, only that my mum's sisters had left the clothes line low, which was invisible in the dark. My arm got caught and the sheer force of my body snapped my arm, much to my father and grandfather's utter shock. Lol) and broke my forearm, my mum's mother would boil up a huge pot of it in bone broth to help heal my bone.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My grandma used to make me cinnamon toast but she called it "special toast" and she also put powdered sugar on them. Special toast and bacon (not together) were the key highlights of my trips to grandmas house.

• 777Gemma888
    Options
    Chocobananas! 😋

c6v5yf87fhy7.jpeg

My favourite banana dessert was butter pan fried cinnamon bananas.

5dif2h539x11.png
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    rl1v8e7cqnqu.jpg
  • Burgerandshakes
    Burgerandshakes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My grandma made graham cracker/frosting "sandwiches" for us, and hot jello to drink when we were sick. Oh, and cinnamon toast.

56xw6qp1kp4k.jpg

(When I went looking for a image for cinnamon toast, I found it in a recipe site. Who in the kitten needs a recipe for cinnamon toast?!? :laugh:)

This☝️
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Fresh fish every week since my dad would fish every weekend. We live in Australia but sometimes it was perogi with cabbage and bacon or potato and cheese, cabbage rolls,borscht and potato pancakes since mum was from Ukraine.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    vo3fwc9n0w32.png

I don't eat fish or hot peppers anymore, but I could certainly increase the amount of coconut cheese and substitute the fish requirement with shredded chicken (poached) in chimichurri sauce and maybe a healthy dose of lemon pepper too. It would certainly hit the same memory bank notes.