Flavors of Childhood?

Got this idea from looking at the "if it didn't have calories post" but it seems like a lot of the things that people post about are things that they had growing up! I know that for me when I'm craving things I crave stuff that i ate growing up. One of my biggest cravings right now is a GIANT Loco Moco picture below. I grew up in Hawaii and ate this all the time!
I recognize that this looks like a giant pile of dog food but i promise it's delish!

hzi5khaw4k6w.jpg

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    @bear2303, that rice looks delicious! 😋
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    Your loco moco looks good, and I could easily be happy with that.
    I loved cheese dreams. Half a toasted hamburger bun with a little butter, a slice of crispy bacon, cut in half, a slice of cheese, and a slice of tomato on top. Under the broiler, but not right under, until the cheese melts and the tomato gets juicy and the tomato juice runs all down your chin when you take a bite.

That sounds amazing, and I love the name of your food! Cheese dreams!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    bear2303 wrote: »
    Got this idea from looking at the "if it didn't have calories post" but it seems like a lot of the things that people post about are things that they had growing up! I know that for me when I'm craving things I crave stuff that i ate growing up. One of my biggest cravings right now is a GIANT Loco Moco picture below. I grew up in Hawaii and ate this all the time!
    I recognize that this looks like a giant pile of dog food but i promise it's delish!

hzi5khaw4k6w.jpg

This reminds me of that dish that @joemac shared called "the garbage plate."
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    My grandma made graham cracker/frosting "sandwiches" for us, and hot jello to drink when we were sick. Oh, and cinnamon toast.

(When I went looking for a image for cinnamon toast, I found it in a recipe site. Who in the kitten needs a recipe for cinnamon toast?!? :laugh:)

my mom made this for me...even when I was like 28, she would send me home with them in a Rubbermaid container and I'd polish those bad boys off with milk. Delish.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    My grandma made graham cracker/frosting "sandwiches" for us, and hot jello to drink when we were sick. Oh, and cinnamon toast.

(When I went looking for a image for cinnamon toast, I found it in a recipe site. Who in the kitten needs a recipe for cinnamon toast?!? :laugh:)

my mom made this for me...even when I was like 28, she would send me home with them in a Rubbermaid container and I'd polish those bad boys off with milk. Delish.

Guess what I'm craving now? :laugh:

1r6tqeh8y41k.jpg

Full disclosure: just last weekend I made exactly 2 of these (mixed up a crazy-tiny bowl of frosting and everything). It felt so sad LMAO
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

Guess what I'm craving now? :laugh:

1r6tqeh8y41k.jpg

Full disclosure: just last weekend I made exactly 2 of these (mixed up a crazy-tiny bowl of frosting and everything). It felt so sad LMAO

This was a childhood staple! And same with the cinnamon toast! (and milk toast...)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,685 Member
    My moms crepes, raspberry cream cheese bars and my dads pancakes. He used club soda and milk instead of water to make them super fluffy

• pancakerunner
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    My moms crepes, raspberry cream cheese bars and my dads pancakes. He used club soda and milk instead of water to make them super fluffy

Similar effect as buttermilk I presume... my mom used lemon juice and whipped egg whites in hers!
  • pancakerunner
    Super random, but does anyone who was a kid in the 2000s remember those yogurt-covered cluster-like snacks that came in pouches?? They were like crunchy... chocolaty and strawberry. I'm searching but can't find any pictures!
  • pancakerunner
    ewh0jzdzs5j9.png