66 years old

Options
I'm just beginning and need help with everything

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'll be 65 in Dec and have been here for 5 years. It's important that you just start, you'll learn as you go. When you signed up with MFP they should have given you a daily calorie goal. Get a digital food scale (they're cheap--$15) and start weighing and measuring all food and drink. Weighing is most accurate for solids. MFP will tally all your calories for you as you log them. At the end of the day you want to be within your daily calorie goal. Just do that everyday. If you do exercising, even walking is good, you log that in too and MFP will give you more calories to eat that day. This rewards you for exercising. Good luck and as you learn ask more questions.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    From a 67 year old who joined MFP 568 days ago and so far has lost over 43 kg (95 pounds): trust MFP and enjoy all those supportive members. Let MFP do all the necessary calculations. You choose your own macros: look at your past eating habits, your "trigger food" (if any) and try to establish a reasonable, balanced daily meal plan for your next day. Read up on info as suggested above. Ask questions if necessary. Book a check up with your GP - you might want to do a blood test. Take it step by step, day by day, meal by meal - and DON'T STRESS! In a few weeks / months time you will look back and be amazed how far you have come. Welcome to MFP and enjoy your journey!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,075 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    If you've never done online logging of food, there is a bit of a learning curve, definitely ask specific questions if you have any. That suggestion above to read those posts in that "Most Helpful" section is a good suggestion.

The best tools for me when I was in weight loss mode were 1. Logging food and studying my FOOD page, 2. Preparing most of my own meals, and 3. Stepping on the body weight scale and recording that number every day.

I lost 70+ pounds nearly 12 years ago and I've kept it off by counting calories and using this site . You can be successful too.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I'm 57 I tried this 3 times this is the longest I have been doing it as I added friends this time and it has encouraged to stick at it, l log all my food at the start it's slow but after a few weeks gets quicker as you can save regular meals and tweak them.
    I have increased my exercises slowly and got a lot stronger but I generally I need to adapt programmes due to my joint pain.
    Good luck with your goals
  • Shredder761
    Shredder761 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new to this 66 post. I just turned 66 and have been logging for a while and recently went on a KETO diet and am enjoying the experience. Nice to meet you all. My name is Jim