Pumpkin Bread 18th century recipe

mattig89ch
mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
never heard of pumpkin bread before. But a youtube channel I watch showed a recipie, and it has me intrigued.

https://youtu.be/u76Yv3Feazk

Anyone ever heard of pumpkin bread?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    That looks interesting! I’ve never had pumpkin and have always thought I’d dislike it because most squashes are just way too sweet for my palate (courgette being the only one I eat), but the idea of bread lasting a month from the addition of pumpkin water is fascinating!

I might just grab a sale price pumpkin in the next few days (this is the only chance to buy pumpkins in the UK- Hallowe’en!) and give it a try.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    This recipe is very different from others I know, but I have made both yeasted pumpkin bread and pumpkin quick bread. They are both very good.
  • mattig89ch
    That looks interesting! I’ve never had pumpkin and have always thought I’d dislike it because most squashes are just way too sweet for my palate (courgette being the only one I eat), but the idea of bread lasting a month from the addition of pumpkin water is fascinating!

I might just grab a sale price pumpkin in the next few days (this is the only chance to buy pumpkins in the UK- Hallowe’en!) and give it a try.

Let us know how it goes?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Sure. I'm from the South and we used to make it often. I married a NYer and he didn't like it so I doubt I even saved the recipe.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    heck, i thought everyone ate pumpkin bread. i love the stuff, just made a batch of pumpkin muffins.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Yes. I am very surprised there are people who have never seen it.
    The one above doesn’t sound like anything I’ve ever seen or had.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    thanos5 wrote: »
    heck, i thought everyone ate pumpkin bread. i love the stuff, just made a batch of pumpkin muffins.

I love pumpkin muffins!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    thanos5 wrote: »
    Yes. I am very surprised there are people who have never seen it.
    The one above doesn’t sound like anything I’ve ever seen or had.

I think you’re both maybe referring to pumpkin bread as a cake-y thing in the same vein as banana bread though?

The bread in the video is actual yeasted bread made exactly as standard bread only using strained water from stewing pumpkin to replace plain water in the dough. The claim is that the finished bread has no pumpkin flavour but some ‘magic’ means the bread does not stale or mould.
  • mattig89ch
    Yea, I've heard of pumpkin pie. Not a fan, but I've at least tried it. Pumpkin bread is a new one for me.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    I love everything pumpkin 🎃! I just made a pumpkin bread the other day. Though my recipe calls for pumpkin purée... and i use a mix of coconut and almond flour. Can use for muffins or bread. Always looking for a way to use pumpkin—- this was an interesting recipe with pumpkin water...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    mattig89ch wrote: »
    Yea, I've heard of pumpkin pie. Not a fan, but I've at least tried it. Pumpkin bread is a new one for me.

Pumpkin pie is very different from pumpkin quick breads which some people are referring to (see the muffins). What I think of when I think about pumpkin bread is something like this (I typically use less sugar but the recipe makes a truly large loaf). Both that and pumpkin pie are different from this yeasted pumpkin bread from Serious Eats.

I suspect that it's far from rare for people in the US, if not perhaps the US and Canada, to have heard of the quick bread version of pumpkin bread. I do think I remember hearing about a yeasted version, but I've never made it.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I love all things pumpkin, too. I have a pumpkin cake recipe made with almond flour and whipped egg whites. Very light and fluffy. I’m not crazy about pumpkin quick bread, but it’s everywhere around the holidays. I love pumpkin roll and pumpkin biscotti. But I think this is the first time I’ve ever heard of a yeast bread made with pumpkin water. Oh, and I love pumpkin fluff!
  • mattig89ch wrote: »
    never heard of pumpkin bread before. But a youtube channel I watch showed a recipie, and it has me intrigued.

My grandmother, God rest her soul, always made pumpkin bread during the holiday season. She would add chopped walnuts or pecans. So delicious and super yummy when warm with a bit of butter or margarine on it! She used a recipe passed down from her grandmother. Scandanavians are definitely more than just lefse, lutefisk and pickled herring! LOL
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Pumpkin bars+Cream cheese frosting=heaven on earth
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Finally got round to experimenting with this today. It’s just come out of the oven. Once it’s cooled I’ll cut into it and post a picture!

I used half wholemeal flour and half spelt in keeping with the 18th century theme. I was surprised how well it proved, because spelt, having less gluten than modern flour usually makes for a slower less active rise from the yeast. Don’t know if that’s the natural sugars in the pumpkin water helping it along?

Can’t wait to cut it and see how it’s turned out, and see if the longevity claimed in the video is accurate!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    8x722hih0z3y.jpeg

It has a tang like a sourdough, which I wasn’t expecting! Soft chewy crumb like sourdough, but without the open structure of sourdough! Incredibly moreish!

Let’s see how long it keeps in decent condition! I’ll definitely do it again though, either way!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,075 Member
    mattig89ch wrote: »

Townsend's! Good series of videos, makes for some of my cooler-season viewing. Have tried a number of them, using modern kitchen gear and as close to the ingredients as possible. Very interesting results. Most recent posting is of crepe-like "New England Pancakes - No Maple Syrup." Sometimes I watch just for the history.

I saw this pumpkin bread vid the other week. Seems interesting, went on to my "try it" queue. My mom - and now I and my grown kids - make a pumpkin bread using pumpkin pulp, much like a banana bread. Great for the holidays.