Happy Halloween! Do you guys want candy/healthy snacks this year?

Options
2»

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Slime kit? Is that a trick or a treat? Sounds very....messy. What does it do?

Basically, if you mix Elmer's Glue, water, and borax, it makes the glue into sort of a rubbery slime that really isn't that messy at all. It's pretty cohesive to itself, and even if your kid DOES get it all over everything, Elmer's glue is water soluble and will come out in the laundry.

I gave out bottles of glue with pre-measured borax (because a 2# box is way too much, and most of these kids won't put it in their laundry) and glitter to mix their own batch of slime at home. Little papers with directions written on them and the proper ingredient list for anxious parents who didn't come with their kids.

The bus stop kids adored them, but I got NO evening Trick or Treaters and about 5" of snow. So the kits will to to school with my kiddo for the teacher to use in the classroom as she wills. The glue is unopened, so it can still be used as glue. :) - My daughter is in an allergy classroom this year, so the kids in her class aren't allowed to bring food treats to school.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Basically, if you mix Elmer's Glue, water, and borax, it makes the glue into sort of a rubbery slime that really isn't that messy at all. It's pretty cohesive to itself, and even if your kid DOES get it all over everything, Elmer's glue is water soluble and will come out in the laundry.

I gave out bottles of glue with pre-measured borax (because a 2# box is way too much, and most of these kids won't put it in their laundry) and glitter to mix their own batch of slime at home. Little papers with directions written on them and the proper ingredient list for anxious parents who didn't come with their kids.

The bus stop kids adored them, but I got NO evening Trick or Treaters and about 5" of snow. So the kits will to to school with my kiddo for the teacher to use in the classroom as she wills. The glue is unopened, so it can still be used as glue. :) - My daughter is in an allergy classroom this year, so the kids in her class aren't allowed to bring food treats to school.

I was more or less with you until you said glitter. Worst. Decoration. Ever.
  • john_not_typical
    john_not_typical Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I’m not a huge candy fan and we give all of it away so it’s no big deal to us. I handed out 150 full sized candy bars in 90 minutes. I had to turn kids away by 7:30. We are a densely populated neighborhood with nice sidewalks. They drop kids off from other neighborhoods here.

It’s a fun night here. Everyone sits on their porches and yells across the yards or texts their neighbors. It’s a fun night.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I way over-bought this year. We had four groups.

I declared this day a high carb day, and am still within my sedentary calorie goal.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    We had 5 former daycare kids come to our house last night, for which I bought 5 dollar store multi-packs of Reese's Cups and M'n'Ms. Everything that I didn't scoop into their buckets I told hubby to hide. He wasn't going to so I said throw them in the garbage then. They're hidden. :)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    We had a poor weather night so I gave each kid a big handful of candy to get rid of it. I heard some comment to each other how much they got as they walked down the driveway.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I was more or less with you until you said glitter. Worst. Decoration. Ever.

Trick AND a Treat in the same bag. You can also color it with food coloring, but it was easier for me to make glitter transportable in small packages than food coloring. :D
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I bought about 6-7 bags of candy, some things I like, some things I don't like (so I won't eat it). I've had them for the entirety of October and never touched the things I like. Last night, after a very successful neighborhood Trick or Trick (even though it was rainy, windy and darn cold) we were left with 3 rolls of SweetTarts (things I don't like). So, lucky me.

Halloween Candy doesn't appeal to me - gummy bears though, I dream about those...
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

Sounds like Play-Doh for millennials!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Nope, i drank my "treats" bourbon barrel mead from a local meadary. Local Florida orange blossom honey. I bout fell out.
  • umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I really had been wanting Reese's lately and decided to have a pack of Justin's dark chocolate peanut butter cups instead. I wouldn't say they're necessarily healthy, but they tasted more wholesome and I found that I actually prefer them!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,627 Member
    Options
    I really had been wanting Reese's lately and decided to have a pack of Justin's dark chocolate peanut butter cups instead. I wouldn't say they're necessarily healthy, but they tasted more wholesome and I found that I actually prefer them!

I think the peanut butter is better! I made the mistake of trying a peanut butter bucket from Rocky mountain chocolate on vacation this summer. Justin's aren't as big!
  • umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »

I think the peanut butter is better! I made the mistake of trying a peanut butter bucket from Rocky mountain chocolate on vacation this summer. Justin's aren't as big!

I completely agree! The peanut butter is delicious and creamy rather than dry like Reese's. Justin's I think even makes individually portioned cups but I haven't seen them in stores in my area. Anyway, yum!