Almost Cried at the Gym

13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    edited November 2019
    Terytha wrote: »
    Well, with all this in mind and some flashbacks to my martial arts days, I did some experiments at the gym and I think it's a body mechanics slash form thing.

Like, I can't do a full pushup, that's 100% my noodle arms. But I could do the bench one as long as I started with straight arms, rather than with my chest on the bench.

So it's like... angles. I used to have to do a lot of new martial arts moves in reverse too.

I think I'm bad at engaging the appropriate muscles.

Excellent insight, and way to engage the goal!

I'm reminded of an affirmation suggested by one of my rowing coaches: "Every day, in every way, I s**k just a tiny bit less." ;)

Keep going, invest, get it. :flowerforyou:
  • withinthemargin
    withinthemargin Posts: 14 Member

You're not "bad" you just aren't used to it. In college I was lifting a lot, and my roommate was in ROTC. He spent a lot of the summer doing pushups. We could bench about the same, but he could do 50 pushups at a time, I could barely do 5. Being competitive, I started doing pushups a lot more and after a while I could do about 25 at a time. My bench press weight didn't change noticeably.

If you can't do full pushups, do angled ones (or modified, but I'd still try to start with angled if possible). If it bothers you that much, just don't do pushups. Once you feel stronger in your chest area, you'll be more comfortable with yourself to try pushups again (though likely no matter how strong your chest/triceps get, you will still have to start slowly on the pushups).
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Well, with all this in mind and some flashbacks to my martial arts days, I did some experiments at the gym and I think it's a body mechanics slash form thing.

Like, I can't do a full pushup, that's 100% my noodle arms. But I could do the bench one as long as I started with straight arms, rather than with my chest on the bench.

So it's like... angles. I used to have to do a lot of new martial arts moves in reverse too.

Oh! Muscle isolation is totally problematic sometimes! I'm glad you figured it out! I still can't raise my right eyebrow unless I do my left one first, because of that very same issue. :) Congratulations on sorting out a thing that will work for you!
  • robbell678
    robbell678 Posts: 140 Member
    push ups are hard yes,..but keep trying! I can't dance but i keep trying! and its so hilarious!! (Think of Elaine trying to dance in the Fun House at a carnival and that's me!!)
  • kg6ysf
    kg6ysf Posts: 1 Member
    When I was in the Army I would do around 100 for my physical fitness test. Tuesday I couldn't do 5. It will take time to build back up but it hurt. I understand. DON'T stop trying though, that's the only way you fail.
  • Sanriohippie
    Sanriohippie Posts: 76 Member
    You went.
    You kept going.
    That makes you a bad *kitten*❤️
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    edited November 2019
    'And now I don't have a choice. I'm physically too weak and too heavy to push myself up'

The vast majority of people are, men included. Pushups are something that need dedicated training. Most people off the street can't do one.

Don't worry about it!