Flavors of Childhood?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    You know what's sad? The kids of today's "flavors of childhood" are going to be Halo Top and chobani and Perfect bars haha

Oh man that is kind of sad! A lot of my friends' kids are addicted to all sorts of snacks from the Asian market and I can see them remembering Pocky, seaweed snacks, sesame & botan rice candy, etc.
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You know what's sad? The kids of today's "flavors of childhood" are going to be Halo Top and chobani and Perfect bars haha

Oh man that is kind of sad! A lot of my friends' kids are addicted to all sorts of snacks from the Asian market and I can see them remembering Pocky, seaweed snacks, sesame & botan rice candy, etc.

So the funny thing about that is that all that stuff is stuff that I grew up on! Because I'm japanese and from hawaii (which has a huge asian influence) all those things were things that were totally normal snacks to me and my friends!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    bear2303 wrote: »

So the funny thing about that is that all that stuff is stuff that I grew up on! Because I'm japanese and from hawaii (which has a huge asian influence) all those things were things that were totally normal snacks to me and my friends!!!

That's seriously cool! I never tried any of that stuff until my 20s at least - but my friends' kids are exposed to it even as these little Midwestern children and of course the greater Asian culture influence they have from manga, anime, video games, etc...so they're all about it!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    I LOVED these as a child and still LOVE them now and they are super in season and just a good as when I was a wee little one:

pomegranate_4.jpg

pomegranates-1--56a30e493df78cf7727b9fb5.jpg

pomegranates make me cringe... the open spores. I have trypophobia and the seeds remind me of maggots.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I LOVED these as a child and still LOVE them now and they are super in season and just a good as when I was a wee little one:

pomegranate_4.jpg

pomegranates make me cringe... the open spores. I have trypophobia and the seeds remind me of maggots.

Wow...sorry about your "trypophobia" I had to look it up. I'll be thinking of BLOODY (added that just because the juice and drips can look like BLOOD) cringy maggots as I devour my/a BIG OLE HUGE one tonight--hmmmmmm ;) . Thanks for sharing and best wishes for/with your illness(es).
    {{{{ <3 Hugs <3 }}}}}
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options

pomegranate_4.jpg

Ooh I loved them too! Although I ended up eating them over the sink because they squirted juice.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,845 Member
    Options

pomegranate_4.jpg

😂 I can’t eat pomegranates. They make my stomach sick for some reason. I’m glad now though because I’ll never be able to look at one without seeing maggots.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

pomegranate_4.jpg

I do too. Our tree in the backyard frosted out. I shall get my sister to trek to the upper groves and check a few trees there. Hopefully, they survived. Hit and miss with fruit trees this year. If we find some, I shall post our haul.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options

pomegranate_4.jpg

Seeing jiggers isn't exactly appetising.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    dp7x3tz2p295.png

My dad made the BEST Baba ganoush which we ate with fried yucca or thinly sliced taro (dasheen) my mother fried up. Perfect Sunday afternoon snack whilst reading our books or buttoning up homework.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    npuvbwle3gf2.jpg

I don't remember the cup art but the top and product, yep! I got this only 1-2 times from the ice cream truck but loved it.

d99u99l726qy.png

@seltzermint555

This was the brand sold in all Pacific island tuckshops in the 60's to 80's. Treats were phased out in the 90's to the present by the governments in favour of real cooked food.

qkdpf9iux3dj.png
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    cs0r3m16g84z.png

purchase of the day
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    cs0r3m16g84z.png

purchase of the day

Our were variants of this.
    8vmuqfu07u1u.png
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    *sigh* Flavors from my childhood...
    Some of them seem so disgusting now lol but back then I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
    Peanut Butter Ring Dings
    Devil Dogs
    homemade lemon meringue pie, pumpkin pie, apple pie
    Christmas cookies with frosting
    spice cake with peanut butter frosting

Hmmm, seeing a sugar trend here. :(
    and my mom's potato salad(never tasted another that could compare)
    my mom's Thanksgiving dinners

Yeh, I definitely grew up during the Kool-Aid and Twinkie years. Horrible horrible way of eating.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    *sigh* Flavors from my childhood...
    Some of them seem so disgusting now lol but back then I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
    Peanut Butter Ring Dings
    Devil Dogs
    homemade lemon meringue pie, pumpkin pie, apple pie
    Christmas cookies with frosting
    spice cake with peanut butter frosting

Hmmm, seeing a sugar trend here. :(
    and my mom's potato salad(never tasted another that could compare)
    my mom's Thanksgiving dinners

Yeh, I definitely grew up during the Kool-Aid and Twinkie years. Horrible horrible way of eating.

I read that as "Kool-Aid Twinkies" and was honestly curious... now I'm picturing kool-aid soaked twinkies.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Thinking back, my family ate a lot of Little Debbie snack cakes. Oatmeal creme pies, zebra cakes, strawberry short cake rolls, fudge brownies, nutty buddy, swiss rolls, pumpkin delights. Even though the honey buns seemed popular, we never had those. I assume my mother didn't like them.

• pancakerunner
    Options
    Thinking back, my family ate a lot of Little Debbie snack cakes. Oatmeal creme pies, zebra cakes, strawberry short cake rolls, fudge brownies, nutty buddy, swiss rolls, pumpkin delights. Even though the honey buns seemed popular, we never had those. I assume my mother didn't like them.

Dang... now I want a zebra cake