How important is water intake?

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Water itself is important regardless of fat loss or otherwise. Just drink enough of it. One of the fundamentally important things for fat loss is a calorie deficit.
  • flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    Water is important for hydration like people have said above. It also has other purposes that are beneficial for working out. An example would be taking a look at what creatine does and why they recommend drinking extra water while taking creatine.

A good rule of thumb is to check the color of your urine. If it is clear or pale straw colored, then you are good.
  • ItSnOtUrDaYoK
    ItSnOtUrDaYoK Posts: 13 Member
    I will give you 6 reasons why drinking plenty of water is essential for weight loss.

1. Water is a natural appetite suppressant.

2. Water increases calorie burning.

3. Water helps to remove waste from the body.

4. Drinking water can reduce overall liquid calorie intake.

5. Water is necessary to burn fat.

6. Water helps with workouts.

• Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    And it can sometimes help a little with weight loss, as thirst and hunger signals can be easily confused.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Who are these people who find that drinking makes them less hungry, and how do I become one?

And how do I stop people suggesting it to me for the millionth time as though it’s a brilliant new idea that I might never have heard before?!

you mean your water doesn't have fat chunks in it? :-P
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    And it can sometimes help a little with weight loss, as thirst and hunger signals can be easily confused.

Although I agree that thirst and hunger signals can sometimes be confused if you're not being at all mindful, it's not a factor while I'm logging. So for me, not a factor in weight loss. Perhaps a tiny factor in not regaining when I'm no longer logging.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Its not important for weight loss. We need water for hydration. Sometimes we think we are hungry but its just thirst.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I'm terrible at keeping up with my water intake. Any words of wisdom? How important is water intake to weight loss?

It is highly important that you stay hydrated. The way you know you are hydrated is if your second trip to the restroom of the day and later yields strawish color urine. If that is the case you are fine.

I do not track my water. I drink when I am thirsty and if I see that my hydration level is low.

Only if I am sick (stomach flu, food poisoning), drinking alcohol, or sweating profusely do I drink large amounts before waiting for thirst.

@NovusDies you give good advice generally, and I think this advice is what the "experts" would also say. But I have never understood it. Maybe if I captured my urine in a vial and did a colour check it would be valid. Everyone's toilet bowl has varying levels of water, and we produce varying amounts of urine when we are voiding. Not to mention the colour of our urine is affected by what vitamins we are taking and what foods we are eating.

I don't have better advice unfortunately.

I think I am with you on just following your thirst levels when you're healthy and making more of a concerted effort to drink in certain situations (sick, active in the heat, and possibly as you age).
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    i used to drinkl 5L of water a day, i am now down to below 1L i need to smarten up.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I'm terrible at keeping up with my water intake. Any words of wisdom? How important is water intake to weight loss?

It is highly important that you stay hydrated. The way you know you are hydrated is if your second trip to the restroom of the day and later yields strawish color urine. If that is the case you are fine.

I do not track my water. I drink when I am thirsty and if I see that my hydration level is low.

Only if I am sick (stomach flu, food poisoning), drinking alcohol, or sweating profusely do I drink large amounts before waiting for thirst.

@NovusDies you give good advice generally, and I think this advice is what the "experts" would also say. But I have never understood it. Maybe if I captured my urine in a vial and did a colour check it would be valid. Everyone's toilet bowl has varying levels of water, and we produce varying amounts of urine when we are voiding. Not to mention the colour of our urine is affected by what vitamins we are taking and what foods we are eating.

I don't have better advice unfortunately.

I think I am with you on just following your thirst levels when you're healthy and making more of a concerted effort to drink in certain situations (sick, active in the heat, and possibly as you age).

I don't overthink it. Most of the time my urine doesn't change the bowl water color at all unless it is late at night or first thing in the morning. Not to be too gross about it but the smell is also quite distinctive when it is more concentrated.

I also can easily see the difference between vitamin enhanced color change and normal. The hue is very different.

Mostly I don't worry about it because I make too many trips to the restroom just doing my normal routine.

What I hate about these discussions is admitting how much attention I seem to pay to urinating. :blush:

• KimberlyCapone
    KimberlyCapone Posts: 42 Member

Try flavored water. My 15 year old really enjoys the Sparkling Ice brand lemonade - it's zero calories and helps him stay hydrated. I like the Crystal Light flavor packets, myself. Adding fruit to your water is another option. :)
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Water is life
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Its not important for weight loss. We need water for hydration. Sometimes we think we are hungry but its just thirst.

This has literally never happened to me, nor to any other overweight person I have spoken to.

I guess it must be true for someone out there, but I don't think it's remotely as common as the advice seems to assume..

I must be a special snowflake then :smiley: or is it because I haven't been overweight now for several years.....