Judgmental Things

Replies

• pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    I'm just here judging the first few sentences of this topic. MFP is actually a safe and supportive space for people? Mind blown!

Hey, that's their claim, not mine. I mean, they won't let us post anything truly contentious and if you do, you get put in MFP jail or banned.... so. **shrugs**

I always thought the bars were neat on people's profile pics. I miss those!
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    George_of_the_Jungle Posts: 3,316 Member
    bojack5 wrote: »
    I'm just here judging the first few sentences of this topic. MFP is actually a safe and supportive space for people? Mind blown!

Hey, that's their claim, not mine. I mean, they won't let us post anything truly contentious and if you do, you get put in MFP jail or banned.... so. **shrugs**

I wonder if MFP has become tight assed because their app is functionally horrific and they are overcompensating for a shortcoming ;)

YES
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member

My (serious) question would be - why would anyone really want to come here to post contentious things in the first place?

I think a lot of people confuse contentious with humor.
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    George_of_the_Jungle Posts: 3,316 Member

My (serious) question would be - why would anyone really want to come here to post contentious things in the first place?

Take one person and add another. There you'll find contention. Some handle it better than others.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member

I wonder if MFP has become tight assed because their app is functionally horrific and they are overcompensating for a shortcoming ;)

Oh man, I gave up trying to use the app. I can't even log on as it stays in perpetual "loading" mode. Ugh.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member

Depends. Some thrive on it (as has been mentioned) and others confuse contentious topics as humor (how, I have no idea).

For the purpose of this thread, I was being introspective and realizing that sometimes, I automatically judge people (at times) without even giving it a second thought. That led me to question why I do that when I hate it being done to me. I get that to judge is kinda human nature, but that doesn't mean a person can't overcome or work to better that nature.

So given the things I get kinda judgemental about (even though I keep my opinion to myself on it except for rare situations), I became curious about what others might auto-judge people on without really even being aware of it.

Perhaps I should have worded my original sentiment better. Oops.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    edited November 2019
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    s131951 wrote: »
    I judge jeep drivers.

😯😫🤣
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    I judge people on their car bumper stickers.
    I judge people on their taste in music.
    I judge people who don't like Parks and Recreation.

I judge myself the worst.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    My issue is with the word judge. First of all, in past tense we don’t drop the e, so it’s spelled ‘judged’. But you do drop the e for judgment. OR DO YOU! Because judgement is also correct. However ‘judgmental’ is the only correct spelling there. And the word judging? That just looks like a style of martial arts. It’s a stupid word to pronounce, not fun at all, zero stars

English in general sucks. I think it should go the way of Latin and just become an obscure language only to be used when one is feeling pretentious.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    I judge people in the TSA line who still ask if they have to take their shoes off
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    I judge people who talk on the phone while at the check out. I will also give you the stink eye. That's some rude *kitten*
  • pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    edited November 2019

isn't that pretty much the whole internet? From what I hear its pretty tame here.

I once saw a girl at panera order her soup or whatever it was in a bread bowl. Then I watched her throw out the bread bowl. I'm still dealing with that.....
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member

I think a lot of people confuse contentious with humor.

THIS! This forum was once a fun place to be. It honestly humored me through some of the most difficult times in my life. My experience now is completely different. There's so many passive agressive comments, and people who get a kick out of being rude with a smile. Maybe I just don't "get it," or want to.

There is humor to be found in both conflict and day to day situations.

The OP has a point; practically everyone, in their day to day lives, encounters a situation where they "judge" someone. The word judge could be overkill in this context, depending on the observation/situation.

Is it always rational? Of course not. Fair? Probably not.

Sure, some people are "rude with a smile", but there are many of us who encounter awkward situations that are humorous.

There is also a stark difference between judging someone for frivolous and/or silly matters vs serious ones.