Sweeteners vs a bit of sugar!?

Options

Replies

• Lattesweet
    Lattesweet Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I’m going to go ahead and say it but artificial sweeteners such as Splenda, sweet/low and all those diet drinks with ingredients you can’t even pronounce are terrible for you. There’s nothing natural about them. You literally are better off having real sugar but obviously in moderation.

Why?

Why are they bad for you? What harm do you feel they do? Pick up almost any packet of food and read the ingredients (or read your toothpaste box!) and you’ll find polysyllabic ingredients that are tricky to pronounce. Doesn’t mean they’re evil or bad for you! You do realise that there are laws in place to prevent manufacturers from poisoning the general population? 😂

The FDA and laws that are passed and supposed to protect us influences by lobbyists and are profit driven. There are lots of things that are banned in some places that aren’t banned here in the USA simply because it would hurt profits and industries.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I’m going to go ahead and say it but artificial sweeteners such as Splenda, sweet/low and all those diet drinks with ingredients you can’t even pronounce are terrible for you. There’s nothing natural about them. You literally are better off having real sugar but obviously in moderation.

Because natural is better. Oh look, hemlock. Looks delicious. I'll report back on my experience.

I like having you around on them here forums. So, please, don't... :neutral:
  • gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started using Stevia by the brand Truvia. It takes some learning curve in how much to use but I like it and haven't read any bad things about it.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Because natural is better. Oh look, hemlock. Looks delicious. I'll report back on my experience.

Lol, you reminded me of this scene from Willy Wonka.

giphy.gif
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Lol, you reminded me of this scene from Willy Wonka.

giphy.gif

I may or may not have thought of that :tongue:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    gemiller87 wrote: »
    I started using Stevia by the brand Truvia. It takes some learning curve in how much to use but I like it and haven't read any bad things about it.

Except the taste ;) . I cannot do stevia because of the bitterness (I can't eat Brussels sprouts or kale for the same reason but other cruciferous veggies are fine).

OP, unless you have a sensitivity to an artificial sweetener there is nothing wrong with any of them if you like the taste. There also is nothing wrong with sugar if you have the calories to spend. 15 calories for a spoon of demerara in my afternoon tea is worth it to me. Most of the time I drink beverages with artificial sweeteners. I prefer the taste. Full sugar soda is just way too sweet for me. Do what works for you and don't worry. You are more likely to get osteoporosis from cola* than any problems from the sweeteners in diet soda.

*There is mounting evidence, not conclusive yet, that the phosphoric acid in cola can leach calcium out of the bones of women https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17023723

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,026 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the correct pronunciation of acai. So I guess I shouldn't eat stuff with acai berries. Or amaranth (where does the stress go?). And it would have been bad to eat quinoa 20 years ago before I knew how to pronounce it. Or shelled fresh soybeans (pronounce it? Heck, I can't remember the right name for it. I just call it shelled edamame, which is an oxymoron.)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

And we're off!!
This discussion has been closed.