nutrition

Options
hi! two days ago i decided i want to eat healthy and be as skinny as my health allows. in order to do so, i have to give up my sugar addiction and start learning what foods are good for me. frankly, i have no idea what to eat. i have one meal per day that equals 250 calories, breakfast that consists of a small portion of raw vegetables and maybe an apple or orange in the afternoon. the bad thing is that’s less than 500 calories per day and i don’t know what other nutritious foods to eat. what’s your favorite dish you cook and how many calories does it have? my goal is to eat exactly 1100cal, but i am evidently failing.

Replies

• katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    1100 Calories is WAY too little.
    is there a reason as to why you want to be so small
  • infestuus
    infestuus Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ellie117 wrote: »
    First off, you are eating far too little. Your bare minimum goal should be 1200 calories, assuming you are female and sedentary. If you exercise as well and burn significant calories, you should probably aim to eat 1300-1500.

Secondly, eating only fruits and vegetables is probably not sustainable. You want to choose something you can realistically do consistently. Eat food you like, in smaller portions.

In both cases, you are right in that you are failing - you are failing yourself and your body the energy it needs to function.

You can lose weight and get "skinny" eating nothing but McDonald's, as long as you're burning more calories than you consume. That's not what you asked though. So, have peanut butter with your apple. Eat eggs with your veggies. If you're a meat eater, add chicken to your lunch and/or dinner. These are all proteins that will help fuel your body but can still maintain a more realistic calorie deficit than your current extreme. Please eat more.
    your reply is v helpful! i guess i will have one boiled egg w/ veggies tomorrow morning, salmon w broccoli in the afternoon and a bowl of fruit at 06:00 pm. would that be good nutrition? i used to eat mostly sweets, chocolate croissants etc, and not enough proper food at all.
    *i hate peanut butter, ew*
  • infestuus
    edited November 2019
    Options
    katermari wrote: »
    i am 1.60cm so having 10kg in plus makes me look like an elephant. i want to look healthy and feel better about myself.

• infestuus
    Options

ceiswyn wrote: »
    Just eat a varied diet.

Humans need proteins for muscle building and tissue repair, and fats for fat-soluble nutrients and various metabolic processes. Carbohydrates aren't technically necessary, but they're a good source of energy, fibre and vitamins. Humans also need a minimum of 1200 calories a day (for women) or 1500 (for men) in order to run essential processes and ensure adequate intake of those nutrients. 'Nutritious' foods are ones that contribute to these goals. If you are way under your calorie minimum, then cake is nutritious; because it's providing your body with what it needs!

At the moment, you're not eating enough to run your body, and even that is mainly carbohydrates (in the form of vegetables and fruit; and fruit is very sugary, by the way). Have some fish. Cheese. Eggs. Add a handful of nuts or seeds to your breakfast. Dress your veggies with a simple olive oil vinaigrette. And don't give yourself an eating disorder.
    i have been getting less than 500 calories for three days now and it doesn’t feel right at all, but at the same time i am not hungry. all that i think about is chocolate muffins and eclairs. although, i am now getting an idea of what i should be adding to my meals. i hope to eat at least 1100 calories tomorrow.
    thanks!

• infestuus
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Being as skinny as possible should never be your goal.
    why not?
  • katermari
    Options
    infestuus wrote: »
    i am 1.60cm so having 10kg in plus makes me look like an elephant. i want to look healthy and feel better about myself.

i completely understand wanting to feel better about yourself.
    as woman we struggle so hard to fit into society.
    i am 5'1 and i have gained 25 pounds this year, i cried and restricted calories and ended up gaining more because of the stress i was putting on my body.
    have you talked about how you are feeling with a doctor or nutritionist
  • infestuus
    edited November 2019
    Options

i am 5'1 and i have gained 25 pounds this year, i cried and restricted calories and ended up gaining more because of the stress i was putting on my body.

even one kilo is noticeable on short women and i have so many extra kilograms. i eat when i am stressed too, it’s so bad. i don’t have the time or money to talk to a doctor. i am focused on my studies, i’ll just try to get better by myself.
  • katermari
    Options

even one kilo is noticeable on short women and i have so much extra kilograms. i eat when i am stressed too, it’s so bad. i don’t have the time or money to talk to a doctor. i am focused on my studies, i’ll just try to get better by myself.

I completely understand. I can relate 100% (feel free to add me)
    and as someone who is recovering from and eating disorder I am here to listen. BUT the amount you are eating is very dangerous, and worry-sum. You need to have a good support system!
  • infestuus
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    hi! two days ago i decided i want to eat healthy and be as skinny as my health allows. in order to do so, i have to give up my sugar addiction and start learning what foods are good for me. frankly, i have no idea what to eat. i have one meal per day that equals 250 calories, breakfast that consists of a small portion of raw vegetables and maybe an apple or orange in the afternoon. the bad thing is that’s less than 500 calories per day and i don’t know what other nutritious foods to eat. what’s your favorite dish you cook and how many calories does it have? my goal is to eat exactly 1100cal, but i am evidently failing.

From the examples listed above, it looks like you are trying to eat "perfectly."

Protein & fat should also be on the menu. Low protein is going to help you lose lean muscle. Losing muscle (while keeping the fat) is not going to be a good look. If you are vegetarian - beans, lentils, and tofu are good protein sources. For non-vegetarian: poultry, lean meat, fish, dairy and eggs.

Fat should be on the menu. This helps with so many bodily functions - vitamin absorption is one. Avocado, olive oil, and nuts are good sources.

250 calories isn't a meal, it's a snack. Aggressive weight loss isn't healthy weight loss.
    v informative. thank you!
  • infestuus
    Options

I had to google conversions because I'm a dumb American, but at 160cm your lowest weight to be healthy per the BMI scale is 48kg - and that's the absolute minimum. You can be healthy still at 61kg. I would suggest picking a point in the 50kg-60kg range as your end weight goal, and not go lower. It will take time to get there, especially if you only have 10kg to lose. Judge your progress in terms of months, not weeks. Build healthy habits and ensure you are providing your body with the adequate food it needs to perform its daily functions plus your activity levels.
    i know 48-49kg is the ideal weight for me and i know it will take months and months to achieve that since i am not an active person and will try to do it all by dieting. i am also after building healthy habits. i just never cared about what i eat and how my body looks until now. i didn’t know what’s good and what’s bad for me. i want to learn.

• infestuus
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Being as skinny as possible should never be your goal.
    why not?

Meriam Webster definition of skinny

1 : resembling skin : membranous
    2a : lacking sufficient flesh : very thin : emaciated
    b : lacking usual or desirable bulk, quantity, qualities, or significance

Fit & firm is a healthy look. Strength training (recomposition) will help you lose fat and keep muscle. Women don't get bulky like men do, we don't have the hormones. Skinny (fat) is lowering your weight while keeping the same body fat % , that means the same you (same shape now) only smaller.
    i think you are manipulating the definition of the word. we are talking about human beings, female body figures. my sister is very skinny and tall, has 0 health issues. her body is not fit and firm, it’s just thin and looks impeccable.

• infestuus
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

I had to google conversions because I'm a dumb American, but at 160cm your lowest weight to be healthy per the BMI scale is 48kg - and that's the absolute minimum. You can be healthy still at 61kg. I would suggest picking a point in the 50kg-60kg range as your end weight goal, and not go lower. It will take time to get there, especially if you only have 10kg to lose. Judge your progress in terms of months, not weeks. Build healthy habits and ensure you are providing your body with the adequate food it needs to perform its daily functions plus your activity levels.
    i know 48-49kg is the ideal weight for me and i know it will take months and months to achieve that since i am not an active person and will try to do it all by dieting. i am also after building healthy habits. i just never cared about what i eat and how my body looks until now. i didn’t know what’s good and what’s bad for me. i want to learn.

You know what's a healthy habit? Eating enough. Healthy weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint; and someone who undereats may feel fine until they really, really don't, by which time any damage has already been done.

If you want to do this in the healthiest possible way, then eat at least 1200 calories, including plenty of protein (which you can get from animal products, soy, beans and tofu) and fats (oily fish such as salmon is good). And try to get at least some exercise, even if it's only a bit of walking. Exercise is good for your heart and lungs, and can help you feel happier too.

(I am also curious as to how you 'know' that the lowest possible healthy weight for someone of your height is the 'ideal' weight for you, but that's a slightly different conversation)
    body mass index. a short woman over 60-65 kilograms is fat, let’s not deny that.