Intermittent fasting

So its settled guys and gals. I made up my mind. I’m not going to do the Keto-diet. Lol
I did some more research and I believe I will be doing the intermittent fasting. 16:8. Im excited. I actually started today.
Lets see how this goes. I also will be pairing It with some exercise in the morning.

Wish me luck! 🤞🏼😇

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Are you sure? Losing weight takes a calorie deficit. It is counting calories for weight control.
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    IF without cutting carbs will be hard. You will crave food all day long.
  • Usman70lbs
    Usman70lbs Posts: 24 Member
    I'm currently doing IF with 15:9
    I usually stop eating by 5/6pm and restart at about 8/9am. Waking up with a headache and trying to drag myself out of bed is the least favourite part for me.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I fast for 20 hours a day and eat 60-65% carbs. No problems at all.

I've thought of doing this. Do you just eat one large meal? How do you get all your calories and macros in just 4 hours? Thanks!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I fast for 20 hours a day and eat 60-65% carbs. No problems at all.

I've thought of doing this. Do you just eat one large meal? How do you get all your calories and macros in just 4 hours? Thanks!

I can fill all of my calories and nutrition in 90 minutes. I would not try to do it. For me it just happened because I don't eat breakfast anyway and I was eating less at night because it helped my acid reflux. Eventually I realized I could not eat at all or just eat a small snack so now almost all of my calories are consumed at lunch.

I think the advantage is minor and the downside may be a protein absorption limit. One of these days I need to see the science behind that to see if it is true or not.

• haydee_cruz1
    haydee_cruz1 Posts: 18 Member
    U all are very inspiring. Please add me lol. I need accountability partners in this journey. I will continue to give updates as to how i did within the morning and the whole day in general. This helps me keep accountable.
  • Usman70lbs
    Usman70lbs Posts: 24 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Usman70lbs wrote: »
    I understand that it doesn't provide magic but it helps me stay within my calories goal for the day if I have a cut off. It also helps me avoid having unhealthy snacks in the evenings which is when I am most likely to eat things I shouldn't.

Exactly. I figure I gained somewhere between "most" and "all" of my excess weight binging and grazing at night. Getting into IF and slamming the lid shut on nighttime snacking, along with learning to be a little hungry some of the time and just make do without feeding that hunger, as IF trains you to be, was truly an eye-opening experience. IF is the best thing I have ever done for myself. My wife and I have already agreed after 6 months of IF that this is the "forever" plan, regardless of whether we're in losing or maintenance. We really love it as a lifestyle.

That's great to hear. In my experience, unwinding at the end of the day often means a snack or two that's often got sugar. Having your wife on board must be great. I often get asked by my wife if I can have some but over time she has also become supportive of it and actively supports me by putting away the unhealthy foods in the evenings. This has proved to be especially helpful on days where I have low willpower.
  • Yidrey
    Yidrey Posts: 20 Member
    tigrig wrote: »
    I do go between the 20:4 and OMAD version of fasting and focus on getting high protein intake during my feeding period. It works for me cause I'm better at controlling over eating doing it this way. Ive been dropping anywhere from a pound to two pounds a week and have been maintaining muscularity while increasing some of my lifts. Needless to say I love it

This is exactly what I am doing also. For the ones doing IF, you need to remember that after fasting for 20 hours plus your blood sugar levels are low. When you eat your first meal with carbohydrates you wil spike your insuline a lot. So dont have carbohydrates with fat. The only days I eat carbohydrates are on heavy lifting days.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    IF without cutting carbs will be hard. You will crave food all day long.

I'm pretty sure you can do IF and have carbs that edible without any utensils - cutting knives or otherwise - without necessarily having cravings all days long.
    At least part of the idea of IF is not eating at times when you don't have cravings - see everyone on MFP that's a de facto IFer because they don't like breakfast. Another part is that by avoiding some meals, stomach responses like ghrelin may be retrained, thus reducing cravings. Usually people that get used to a fast find the liberating thing about it is they stop having or reduce cravings during their window.
  • jandy180
    jandy180 Posts: 10 Member
    This approach has been effective for me as well, similar to other posts. I've lost 20 lbs in six weeks since rebooting my efforts on MFP, roughly following the 16/8 method. One thing I like is that if I miss a day of exercise, I'm still maintaining or slightly losing weight due to the IF method and careful food choices. Most of my cravings are within the 8 hour window, so I try to choose healthy low-cal snacks.
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    So I have been doing 5:2 fasting since January 1. I lost 40 pounds. Down to a size 0 or 2. The best part is that my body has completely changed. Like it dissolves stubborn fat deposits. I don't think I will ever stop.
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Oh and all of my joint pain is gone from starving the inflamation.
  • gpb2066
    gpb2066 Posts: 4 Member
    I have been IF since July...not for weightloss though. I lost almost all of my weight (54lbs) in August/September. IF has given me more energy and focus, my workouts are better and all my blood work has come back perfect. I still eat pretty much the same amount of calories (I track Macros actually) I did before, may be slightly less, but not by much.
  • effervescent11
    effervescent11 Posts: 39 Member
    I'm currently on IF and ADF with a calorie restricted low-carb diet. It works really well for me, because it's harder to overeat in the tiny eating window. Plus, less meal prep = more time to do other things. IF alone won't make you lose weight, but it's a great tool.