Rewarding yourself

Options
13»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I can't do reward systems that are based on scale results. I have tried that in the past and it always failed. The rewards never come quick enough because of weight fluctuations. Knowing that I have done enough to lose 5 pounds or whatever the next mini goal is and it not show up for 2 more weeks on the scale just sucks.

The reason I always thought I needed a reward was because I was postponing happiness. I was choosing to be unhappy today to lose weight thinking I would be happy later. I don't do that anymore.

I don't need a reward system to eat. Eating is a reward. I might need a reward system if what I ate made me miserable or brought me no joy when I needed it. So I try to be happy with what I eat - no additional reward needed.

Since I am now fully aware of what weight loss and improved fitness means in terms of making my life happier that is another built in reward. I can do many things I could not do 20 months ago. I do not currently need an additional reward system for exercise for this reason.

I do get a sense of satisfaction when I log my food and stay within a weekly calorie budget. That does act like a small reward for me too. I like seeing my exercise calories get added in to even though I don't actually need them since I use a TDEE system.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    I would avoid using food as a reward. A little physical pampering such a manicure or pedicure or a professional massage.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 502 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    New jeans or gym gear. I bought a pair of weight lift gloves, after going to class so many times, proving to myself this was not just a fad. I splurged on the not on sale rack at TJMaxx for gym pants and have even bought a pair of lululemon tights when I reached a different goal. Well because now that I am spending more time in gym clothes then any other clothes I need to look good at Costco. What little thing will give you glee? Weight loss will give you joy and happiness but sometimes a little glee, something flashy for you symbolizing you made it does something for the ego, has you smiling under your sweat...
  • armyvet25
    armyvet25 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    For me the answer is, "ANYTHING BUT food".

Same here, I don't add an extra bullet after beating Russian roulette lol
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding sanctimonious, losing the weight, looking better and feeling stronger is its own reward for me. I'd never reward myself with food or drink, just as I'd never punish myself for food transgressions by forcing myself to do extra exercise. That way lies failure, for me.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with all the above - LIFE is the reward, being able to fit in the seats at theme parks, being able to walk up hills and see the views, not feeling like I should hide under baggy clothes - these are our rewards!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I know it's corny but I've been living with chronic pain for a long time and the best gift is increased mobility and a stronger spine. I'm able to do routine things I wasn't able to before. I got my A1C low enough to stop medication, happened the same day I hit goal.

I've waited to hit 5lb goals before buying new clothes, but didn't actually plan rewards ahead of time. I just reached goal and realized I wasn't really prepared to hit 100lbs down and didn't have a reward scheduled aside of buying a permanent wardrobe, I don't think I really thought I'd make it. I have a few kitchen items I want but will wait until after Christmas for a splurge.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't have to lose weight or gain weight for a reward. I try to do things I like on a regular basis without "earning it". If I want a tasty treat, I eat it. If I want a new pair of shoes, I will get it. If there's an event I want to attend, I will be there. It's good to do things you like without having to feel like you earn it :)
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I have a goal chart, and it's things like
    Weight below 200
    No longer obese BMI
    100 pounds lost
    BMI overweight to normal
    Goal weight

Each time I hit one of those goals I buy myself a piece of jewelry. Why jewelry? Because I used to reward myself with food, I need to break that habit, and jewelry last longer. Plus each time I wear the jewelry I am reminded of my achievement (and would feel guilty wearing it if I backslid into weight gain).
    For me, this works. I am a person who likes visual rewards and things that are tangible. Some say they buy new jeans etc, but I like something more special to me.
    You'll have to decide your reward...it can be anything from just being proud of yourself all the way up to a vacation. Do what feels right FOR YOU
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I know it's corny but I've been living with chronic pain for a long time and the best gift is increased mobility and a stronger spine. I'm able to do routine things I wasn't able to before. I got my A1C low enough to stop medication, happened the same day I hit goal.

I've waited to hit 5lb goals before buying new clothes, but didn't actually plan rewards ahead of time. I just reached goal and realized I wasn't really prepared to hit 100lbs down and didn't have a reward scheduled aside of buying a permanent wardrobe, I don't think I really thought I'd make it. I have a few kitchen items I want but will wait until after Christmas for a splurge.

That's not corny at all :)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I try to reward my good habits rather than the results. I used to have weight loss rewards but would always talk myself out of actually getting them because it kind of felt like I was giving myself a huge reward for stepping on a scale, lol. Now I use Habitica and reward myself with "coins" each time I complete a good habit like exercising or filling in my food diary. I set "prices" for rewards I was and spend them when I have enough coins.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I was thinking of this thread yesterday when I was hiking in the woods on windy, twist trails. I felt kind of like a rat in a maze. However, cheese wasn't the reward - the process itself was rewarding.

I see this as an evolution of thought. For someone new they tend to look at the destination as the reward, but the experienced understand that the journey itself is the reward.
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    LynnJ9 wrote: »
    I know these sound expensive, but I really think I saved almost as much by not eating fast food, buying food that spoiled in the refrigerator while I spent even more going out because I was too lazy to cook.

I didn't think of these as expensive! Those are great non-food rewards for your accomplishments. Your point about the money you saved by cutting out fast food/going out is a very good point. I gave up alcohol last month as I revamped my weight loss continuation, and easily saved hundreds of dollars between my husband and I. I put it towards an extra payment on my student loans, but it was still a satisfying amount of money that I did not realize I was spending every month. Great job!