MyFitnessPal Not counting calories correctly

MyFitnessPal is great EXCEPT for the fact that I've actually been eating more calories than I'm supposed to BECAUSE they count calories wrong. For every gram of protein and carb, is 4 calories, and 9 calories for fat. They count calories by label, not by macros. They need to change this. To prove, at the end of you day, multiply 4 by your protein and carb, 9 by fat, then add those numbers up. That's how many calories you've actually eaten today. That's if you dont hit your macro numbers EXACTLY .

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Also be aware there is often error in food labelling...legally (in USA) up to 20% !!! https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2012/08/21/when-nutrition-labels-lie
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I will have had 698 calories after lunch, but when I do the macro math I get 713.

I checked my first entry, which was a user-entered entry, and it was off by 10 calories. I checked the package, and the values for this entry were correct. I imagine the issue was with the fat - it was probably only 0.6 g fat, but they rounded up to 1 (?). And I had two items, so it added up.

My next entry was an admin-created entry, and it was off by 1 calorie, which I consider to be an acceptable difference due to rounding.

That's pretty good. :)

I find my macros to be in the acceptably close enough range, too.

But then I've been on this site for a while and I believe all my entries now are as correct as I can get them. It took a while to populate all my meals "Recents and Frequents" though. I made a lot of mistakes in the beginning by using any random database item. That took time to fix.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Your math doesn't take into account fillers, or the fact that the "449" are approximations themselves.

Don't blame MFP.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Operator error. 🤔
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited November 2019
    Calories in the MFP data base are user entered, most often from standard food labels on packages.

Labels can be up to 20 % off by law. They're not usually off by 20 % but they're in no way exact, either. I've often found them to be 10-15 % off and, when I've bothered to really dig deep a few times to investigate the label by weighing things and going through the ingredients list, I've rarely found one that was precisely correct.

That's on top of the fact that the MFP food database is user entered and notoriously rife with errors and inaccuracies. That is the price to be paid for having the world's largest crowd-sourced database on Earth of calorie data.

Embrace it and learn to check the entries in the data base before you use them. No one's ever gotten fat or thin by being off a few percent while counting calories. If you're strictly counting and logging your calories, you're already winning the battle.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    I've found food to be accurate. But exercise to be *way* off at least for my common exercises. (Sometimes 50-100% too generous....).

But there are standard formulas for cycling, running and walking which aren't complicated so I use those to estimate cals burned.

But I've found the food to be fairly accurate. At least accurate enough that if I hit my #s (and *don't* use MFP exercise estimates...which are embarrassingly bad...)...I lose the target weight in a very non linear way.

• bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Can you post an example of what you ate and how the calories are off? I'm not sure this is an MFP problem or a bad database entry problem.

Since many of the database entries were user-created I try to stick with entries MFP pulled from the USDA database as much as possible.

This is probably a stupid question but is there an easy way to tell which ones are USDA sourced? I spend so much time trying to vet the correct data base entry....when I don't have the scanned bar code. I do weigh in grams but would like to find accurate data base entries. I have added the USDA link to my desktop. Thanks in advance.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    The first few months I made tons of mistakes, by blindly just clicking on the first item in food database that appeared to match what I was looking for. Then after reading so much here in discussions, I was like oops. And now have lots of good data. And when I add something new, you can bet I search out and actually look at the nutrition data to see if reasonable.

And I totally agree with many the exercise is way overstated. So for me I do eat some of it back, less than 50%. And I have found that 33% for me to be my happy medium for exercise calories to eat back.

So I take both as guides, but not as being 100% accurate, because people make mistakes.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    MyFitnessPal is great EXCEPT for the fact that I've actually been eating more calories than I'm supposed to BECAUSE they count calories wrong. For every gram of protein and carb, is 4 calories, and 9 calories for fat. They count calories by label, not by macros. They need to change this. To prove, at the end of you day, multiply 4 by your protein and carb, 9 by fat, then add those numbers up. That's how many calories you've actually eaten today. That's if you dont hit your macro numbers EXACTLY .

As far as calories go, MFP is an addition/subtraction calculator. What you’re complaining about is a problem with the food company’s calculations or your failure to log accurately.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    bearly63 wrote: »
    Can you post an example of what you ate and how the calories are off? I'm not sure this is an MFP problem or a bad database entry problem.

Since many of the database entries were user-created I try to stick with entries MFP pulled from the USDA database as much as possible.

This is probably a stupid question but is there an easy way to tell which ones are USDA sourced? I spend so much time trying to vet the correct data base entry....when I don't have the scanned bar code. I do weigh in grams but would like to find accurate data base entries. I have added the USDA link to my desktop. Thanks in advance.

I found the easiest way for whole foods was to start on the USDA site, find the food I wanted to log, copy the text string that USDA uses to describe the entry I want (e.g., "strawberries, raw"), then paste that into the MFP search box. Usually the top return will be the right one. If there are multiple returns that match the text string (with no extra words in the name of the food), then checking the drop-down box for serving size is usually a quick way to locate the most likely "right" entry. Entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database should have multiple serving sizes that encompass both weight and volume measurements, and possible "per piece" as well (e.g., 1 medium apple). If you click on the nutrition and see a bunch of zeros where there shouldn't be zeros, it's probably not right.

But once something passes all those gates, you still should check it against the USDA site that you started with before logging it the first time, because some of the entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database have become corrupted. (Also, the corruption often is only for one of the serving sizes -- so it's OK to use the garlic, raw entry if you remember that if you want to just enter the number of cloves, you have to log .33 of the 3 clove serving size to log one clove, rather than 1 serving of the 1 clove serving size, which now says hundreds or thousands of calories.)

Once you find a good entry and log it, you can log it in the future from your recent or frequent foods without having to check the entry for accuracy again.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    I have a similar issue -- I'm entering a couple of recipes I've made from an old WW cookbook. The book is old enough that it provides a calorie count and macros for each recipe as well as a points count (it's from 2004, so it has a very old points system -- the one from before Points Plus). The recipe obviously stipulates the weight and measures of each ingredient, and I followed it, of course. But when I enter the recipe into the recipe builder, it delivers a much higher calorie count -- off by a good 100 to 200 calories per serving. I don't know which is correct.

I find that lots of the calorie counts are pretty hit or miss at times -- which is annoying, since being 100 calories off for a day is the difference between losing or not, for me.