What do you say to "food pushers" at work?

2»

Replies

• GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    I usually go with a simple "No, thank you" and a smile. If they keep pushing, I lose my smile and just stare back in silence until it becomes awkward for them. :p
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    pico6222 wrote: »
    There are lots of people who aggressively push food at me at work. Even if I say "no, thank you" or provide a half-truth excuse (I can't eat sugar early in the day because I'll crash later), they continue to push! I've had everything from someone literally shoving cake in my face saying "You HAVE to eat it, I MADE it!" to a coworker saying "Stop being so healthy!".

I don't want to share my personal business with everyone, and I don't want to be rude to a coworker. However, it makes me incredibly uncomfortable to be publicly put on the spot for not eating their food, especially in meetings when lots of people are watching.

I know these people do not have malicious intentions, and that often they push food because of their own insecurities. What can I say that is not rude when consistently saying "no, thank you" or giving excuses is not enough?

Take it, have one bite, and throw the rest in the trash.
  • epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    This just happened to me at work this morning!!!
    4 ladies each pressured me and repeatedly!!!
    1. Thank you, but I already ate
    2. Thanks, I'm trying to slim down and started walking away
    3. However the 3rd lady was my boss and she walked after me trying to convince me saying that they hosted and we'll take turns hosting as a department. I said, "I love your idea and I love celebrating. But I'm trying to slim down right now. Patted my abs, politely chuckled a fake one, smiled and walked away.
    4. Office manager asked did you eat? I shook my head, patted my abs, smiled, and walked away. She gave me a very disapproving look but that's her personality so I don't take it personally.
    Key is, when the going gets tough - WALK AWAY with a smile knowing you are taking care of yourself not trying to please others because in the end, you have to live with yourself 24 7.
    Holiday parties are already here so more tempters and ambushes to come. Gear up, anticipate, practice that smile, and walk away.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    epangili wrote: »
    Holiday parties are already here so more tempters and ambushes to come. Gear up, anticipate, practice that smile, and walk away.

Gear up! That place is a war zone.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    pico6222 wrote: »
    There are lots of people who aggressively push food at me at work. Even if I say "no, thank you" or provide a half-truth excuse (I can't eat sugar early in the day because I'll crash later), they continue to push! I've had everything from someone literally shoving cake in my face saying "You HAVE to eat it, I MADE it!" to a coworker saying "Stop being so healthy!".

I don't want to share my personal business with everyone, and I don't want to be rude to a coworker. However, it makes me incredibly uncomfortable to be publicly put on the spot for not eating their food, especially in meetings when lots of people are watching.

I know these people do not have malicious intentions, and that often they push food because of their own insecurities. What can I say that is not rude when consistently saying "no, thank you" or giving excuses is not enough?

Take it, have one bite, and throw the rest in the trash.

For those who disagreed: this worked for me for 40 years until I retired. They were happy they pushed food on me and I did no damage to my waistline. Amazing how easy it is to keep the peace just by keeping your mouth shut . . . and how easy it is to not overeat by getting rid of the food ASAP.
  • Dazzlle22
    Dazzlle22 Posts: 23 Member
    People should get the hint and stop being so pushy all the time. If you don't want to eat their food it's your choice, not because you think their food is nasty, because you simply do not want to eat it. You shouldn't make up an excuse just for this, they should respect your decision, after all it's your choice whay you feed your body.
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    MaintainInTheMembrane Posts: 63 Member
    edited November 2019
    Start with ‘no thanks’ and when they keep going, move onto, ‘I don’t want it.’

After several times, say, ‘why are you still asking me to eat food I don’t want?’

Also, if you have the option to walk away, do so.
  • udebear
    udebear Posts: 39 Member
    Do not be afraid to say "i appreciate the offer however you are making me uncomfortable." The more you say it, the less people will push, stand up for your lifestyle choices and don't be afraid of offending someone, you are stronger and better than that. 😙 Good Luck!!
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    No thank you I have strict orders from the doctor to eat a certain way.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    I was very upfront about it. Told them I was on a calorie controlled diet and couldn't eat unexpected food that I hadn't factored into my daily budget. Everyone has been very understanding. In fact these days they even ask whether it's ok to offer me food and I say yes I'm in maintenance so have more budget.

I don't like fruit cake, banana muffins, banana cake so when those get forced on me, I tend to just accept them and then throw them away or I'll give them to someone else.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    These are your coworkers and they mean well for the most part. There are people that are legitimately threatened by your dedication, and to feel better about themselves they consciously/unconsciously try to sabotage you. Also, I don’t feel it’s as simple as “I said no! Why isn’t that good enough?” People hold grudges, and simmering animosity can lead to a toxic work environment. Not every hill is worth dying on.

I often:
    - tell people “oh man! Shoot! I just ate. Let me wrap some up and save it for later.”
    - “I’ve gotta get on a conference call in 2 minutes. Let me take it with me.”
    - Fix a plate, pretend that I just got a text, say “oh shoot! Bad timing. I’ve gotta make a call,” and vanish

Yes, it’s being “fake,” but it can be the difference between your colleagues not resenting you. Worse case scenario, eat a few bites. I don’t think any of us here are professional fighters that are worried about making weight, or professional bodybuilders on the verge of stepping on stage. Unless you have a real problem with food in the sense that eating something “bad” will send you binging, it may not be worth the anxiety of trying to stand your ground. I have co-workers that “pick on me” and the angst of walking in the door and wondering “what’s it going to be today?” Drove me crazy. I finally figured out how to let it go. When pizza was catered, I’d say “I can’t eat. I’m fasting because I have to have blood work done later.” Anything like that so people don’t project their insecurities, and then start taking them out on you.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    My daughter taught me to say, "NO, THANK YOU," in a disturbingly aggressive fashion when she was about 3. I've gotten more mileage out of that lesson...

(Her cousin was trying to hug her, and she kept telling him, "No, thank you." The last iteration was delivered in a bellow and occurred on the other side of the kitchen island from me, followed by a thump and scuffling. Came around the corner, and had to peel her cousin off the side of the island, where she had him pinned by the neck. CONSENT LECTURES FOR EVERYONE, followed by a lot of private snickering and pride.)

If the first "No, thank you," doesn't work, I fall back to consent lectures, and that makes EVERYONE uncomfortable. :D
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I start with "no thank you", and then I'll usually give some excuse like "I ate way too much breakfast this morning". The important thing is to frame it to make it sounds like "I'm such a *kitten* idiot that I don't deserve the food you are bestowing upon this pitiful soul". People just want to feel good about themselves and some do that by giving food, so showing them that their "charity" is wonderful and that you are the *kitten* for refusing makes them still get that "high" of giving. It's dumb but it's worked for me.