Pounds creeping back when transitioning to maintainence

I have been between 108-110 for 4 months, it is where I felt healthiest, most confident etc.
For the 4 months it was relatively easy to maintain, but suddenly, almost overnight I began seeing weight creep back. My diet has not changed, I eat the same foods with 1 cheat day a week, similar calorie intake, similar exercise, I even keep track of when I eat my meals.
I am now at 113.5 and still seeing a steady gain of about a half lb a day.
Should I be concerned? Or is this all part of my body and my metabolism figuring itself out?

Replies

• rosewolf13
    rosewolf13 Posts: 12 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    rosewolf13 wrote: »
    I am now at 113.5 and still seeing a steady gain of about a half lb a day.

Half a pound a DAY?? Did you mean a week?

No it's not your metabolism.
    Yes you should be concerned assuming this is a steady trend over a period of more than a month. Just simply make a small adjustment to your calorie balance.

Most likely just portion creep or small differences in your exercise or day to day activity.
    Yes, I meant a day. I was 108 3 weeks ago
    Weighed in at 115 this morning.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,567 Member
    A 7 pound gain over 3 weeks certainly sounds like something is off.

Are you weighing your foods carefully? Logging everything? That data is your friend! :-)

Whatever you do, try making a small adjustment, and then watching the results over time.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Most likely just portion creep or small differences in your exercise or day to day activity.

^This.

Happens to me as well. When I hit a weight that I like (175lbs) I stop tracking. Once my weight consistently stays above 180lbs, I tighten up and track until I am back at 175lbs...
  • PTA4LYF
    PTA4LYF Posts: 87 Member
    check your water intake you may be retaining fluid because you arent drinking enough plus instead of a cheat day make it a cheat meal
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    How often do you weigh yourself? This might be a normal fluctuation due to high sodium cheat day or where you are in your monthly cycle.
  • rosewolf13
    When you say cheat day, what does that involve food wise?

Cheat day is typically Sunday. I have a healthy breakfast and a stack of 3-4 pancakes for lunch with whipped cream and 100% maple syrup, fruit. Then a small dinner..I still stay within calorie goals but the extra sugar makes me feel nasty. I call it a cheat day because I consistently splurge on pancakes every sunday.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    rosewolf13 wrote: »
    When you say cheat day, what does that involve food wise?

Cheat day is typically Sunday. I have a healthy breakfast and a stack of 3-4 pancakes for lunch with whipped cream and 100% maple syrup, fruit. Then a small dinner..I still stay within calorie goals but the extra sugar makes me feel nasty. I call it a cheat day because I consistently splurge on pancakes every sunday.

So you aren't going over your calories by the sound of that, and even if you weren't tracking the calories in that one 'cheat' meal accurately it wouldn't account for that much gain.
    Have you started a new activity? are you stressed? not sleeping well? something must have changed and as the others say, perhaps you are aren't tracking as religiously so your food intake has increased.....
  • rosewolf13
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How often do you weigh yourself? This might be a normal fluctuation due to high sodium cheat day or where you are in your monthly cycle.

I weight myself every morning. I tend to gain 1.5 to 2lbs the week before my cycle (this week) but I've never gained 5-8.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    You need to weigh your foods, not choose a size like medium for an entry. You might be off by hundreds of calories per day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    You need to weigh your foods, not choose a size like medium for an entry. You might be off by hundreds of calories per day.

^^This.

I looked at your food diary and every item in there is "0.33 serving" "1 tsp" - what is the 1.98 portions of the wings for 200 calories? How did you compute those pancakes to be 4.91 every time? How is your turkey exactly one two ounce portion every time? I find that very suspicious. A 200 calorie breakfast and then a 280 calorie dinner that includes those items could be off by several hundred calories.

Assignment #1: tighten up your logging. You have zero room for logging errors in Maintenance. It's not about what you're eating (pancakes with maple syrup is fine!) it's about how much. I would highly recommend you spend $15 on a food scale and use it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I don't know why we bumped up this thread today @LyndaBSS...I hope she has figured it out by now...